Atari Lynx troubleshooting?

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So a long time ago I bought two Lynxes, and managed to get one working unit out of the deal (one didn't work at all, and the other worked, but somehow they managed to melt the battery compartment so transferring the mainboard of the working one into the shell of the broken one gave me a working unit). And yesterday I came across a usb mod for the lynx, which I decided to try on the non working unit since, from what I've read, a main point of failure is the power circuit on those things (which should be bypassed by doing the mod). Failing the mod (although it's a very simple one) wouldn't cost me anything since the unit didn't work to begin with.
The mod itself seems to work, but all I'm getting is a black screen and a popping sound on startup. After opening it up again and removing the shielding (plus installing a wire between pin 31 and 33 on the cartridge connector), with a purely visual inspection, nothing seems to be wrong except for one capacitor (I think it was C39) that had some corrosion on the legs. Could this one cap be the culprit, or should I check some other points first? (in order to prevent me from ordering and replacing the cap only for it to be for naught).

edit: After a little poking around, it seems that C39 is part of the power array which is bypassed by using the usb mod. Which leaves me at step one with no idea what the issue could be.

Last edited by nasune,

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While this is a necro bump (as well as a double post I'm afraid), I do have some new information. After removing the shield to check the chips underneath it appears that the Suzy chip might be faulty. While there is no visual damage, the chip gets quite a bit warmer than any of the surrounding chips (not scalding hot (at least not for the minute that it was on) but warm to the touch). Does anyone know whether there is anything in the surrounding area that could lead to this, or is it indeed just the chip? (the power array is bypassed so whatever the issue is, that's not it)

If it is indeed the chip in question then that'll be the end of that (for two reasons: one I don't have a hot air rework station, and two: the replacement chips I could find were more expensive than just buying another Lynx).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries