Audio-based action-adventure title 'The Vale: Shadow of the Crown' gets release date

the vale.png

While current-gen console titles are battling it out for the best graphics, here comes an interesting challenger: The Vale: Shadow of the Crown. The latter, developed by Falling Squirrel in collaboration with the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, is an audio-only story driven, action-adventure title. Playing as a blind adventurer, the game immerses you in the character's boots quite literally as you won't be able to rely on any visual cues since there are practically no visuals in this game. You will have to fully rely on audio cues instead to progress. It will be interesting to see how the developers implemented the gameplay mechanic when the game launches later this month.

Through the ears of the hero — blind from birth and cast out from her kingdom — players must embark on a treacherous journey as they explore the world around them, fight off enemies in challenging, interactive combat, hunt for resources, acquire gear, and lose themselves in a rich narrative supported by top-tier voice acting.

You must listen carefully to voices in the crowded marketplace that lead you to shops or your next quest, the clank of armor and battle cries as relentless enemies approach you, and the grunts and rustling of wild beasts as you hunt in thick forests.

Key Features of The Vale: Shadow of the Crown include:
  • Accessible Gaming: Haptic controller feedback, binaural audio technology, and professional cinematic voice acting guides players through real-time combat, exploration, quests, and cut scenes, making this a gaming experience that is accessible to visually impaired and sighted players alike.
  • Diverse Soundscape Environments: The bustle of busy villages, the gentle rustling of leaves through the trees in the forests, the eerie echoes of the unknown in dank caves — full 3-dimensional sound surrounds players from all sides as they adventure in over 20 diverse locations ripe for exploration.
  • Immersive Medieval Combat: Players become engaged in the action in a way that is entirely refreshing as a diverse set of enemies attack with random and story-based encounters, boss battles, and more. Intuitive battle clamor guides players towards enemies as they attack and defend against their foes.
  • Meaningful RPG Elements: Presented with a choice of combat styles, players will guide their fully-voiced hero and build their potential as they unlock upgradable magic paths, loot enemies, hunt animals for valuable items, and visit shops to purchase weapons and armor — each with unique sounds and stats.
  • A Story for the Ages: With optional narrative paths including over 20 side quests, and more than 70 audio cutscenes, players will uncover twists and surprises as they travel the land and speak with the many unique and fully voiced characters they encounter.
The Vale: Shadow of the Crown will be available on PC (Steam and Epic Games Store) and Xbox One on August 19, 2021.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those wanting to play something possible a bit like this there is the hyena audiobook player for the DS. Its main book most would meet then being book 1 of an old fantasy tabletop/book/choose your own adventure RPG called Lone Wolf.
https://www.projectaon.org/staff/jens/
It is a pretty interesting way to play a game, and can be done much like you might listen to an audiobook or whatever with eyes closed. Granted this sounds like it will be doing far more than that (the thing linked it mostly text to speech for an old adventure book).

Though if you are interested in the more classical approach then a few more of the Lone Wolf series
https://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/

I believe later stuff still made it android and IOS but I have not played those.

Anyway curious to see what this one brings. Quite often I have had things that had to lean into one aspect be good at it by necessity or as a result of not spreading themselves thin, though it is no guarantee. Also rarely see audio design be a thing in games; most consider themselves good if they have Doppler effect and some indoor/outdoor echoes.

Reactions: Prans

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, medieval combat, eh? One more game set in medieval times.

Suggestion: a game about the struggle of a blind person crossing the street. With audio cues coming from the stop lights. And cars. And people. And children playing ball. And older people farting while walking, because they shred major ass.

And added difficulty coming from you stepping on gum, dog poop, and avoiding the smell of older people's farts.

Wasted opportunity here.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This remind me an Indie game on the 360 (forget it's name) where the screen is pitch black, and you move based on what you hear alone, it was a 2D sidescroller type with not much hurdles..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol