raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lolwut

"Acceptable" and "accurate" are two entirely different things, man.

It's well-known that N64 emulation is inaccurate (just take a look at the PJ64 game help file to see how many have graphical issues or need a setting tweak)... but then again we didn't get an SNES emulator that could display the shadows in Air Strike Patrol until ~2012 with BSNES, but people had considered SNES emulation acceptable for years beforehand.
I know, what I meant is that N64 emulators on PC aren't even on an acceptable level, for me. I know you'll say that by tweaking with 30 different plugins will finally display those damn shadows in Paper Mario correctly, but I seriously (nor probably the other 5 billions of people out there) do not want to fiddle with plugins for MORE time than I'll probably end playing the game I was configuring them for.

We need a GOOD low-level N64 emulator without plugins (a-la Xebra), the N64 deserves it.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Imho, even the Gamecube/Wii emulator, Dolphin, is more accurate than current n64 emulators. I also see that development for n64 emulators are generally slow when not abandoned.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Is the VC really that accurate? Star Fox 64 had many glitches as I recall, incorrect colors when the ship gets hit, framerate issues, etc, but I could be wrong.
The incorrect damage color is the only "glitch" in the VC version. The framerate lag was actually added into the game with an update so it feels more like the original N64 version. Really stupid, I know. But if you find a wad file for the 1.0 version then it plays perfectly smooth.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I know, what I meant is that N64 emulators on PC aren't even on an acceptable level, for me. I know you'll say that by tweaking with 30 different plugins will finally display those damn shadows in Paper Mario correctly, but I seriously (nor probably the other 5 billions of people out there) do not want to fiddle with plugins for MORE time than I'll probably end playing the game I was configuring them for.

We need a GOOD low-level N64 emulator without plugins (a-la Xebra), the N64 deserves it.
Sure you're not confusing me with somebody else? I'll go around stating that you need to tweak plugins to get games running to people who want the games to run, but I'm five miles away from calling that good emulation.

I also see that development for n64 emulators are generally slow when not abandoned.
This is the kind of shit that happens when you try to monetize a homebrew project.

(And PJ64 was being used for money, nobody can say otherwise at this point.)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sure you're not confusing me with somebody else? I'll go around stating that you need to tweak plugins to get games running to people who want the games to run, but I'm five miles away from calling that good emulation.
Funny, I could remember you attacking me when I said that the N64 emulation on PC was crap. I'm pretty sure of that.

Oh well, nevermind (best friends liek before? :yaypsp:) and enough off-topic at that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Funny, I could remember you attacking me when I said that the N64 emulation on PC was crap. I'm pretty sure of that.

Oh well, nevermind (best friends liek before? :yaypsp:) and enough off-topic at that.
Like I said, it depends on the subject. Accuracy versus usability is a big debate in emulation, with users preferring speedhacks and per-game tweaks so they can play free games, but the authors all eventually recognizing that accuracy is king (even ZSNES realized this eventually which prompted the rewrite that may never see the light of day).

And yar, you know I'm a bitch on the forums.

lovewiibrew

Sifjar is a pirate
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly why I bought an ED64. Emulation for the 64 is something that isn't perfect but with an ED64 the accuracy is 100%. So now I can play every 64 game without being bothered to tweak the emulator and install plug-ins etc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@[Truth] going by the writeup it looks like the cic chip was actually used in the game for something and not just a selection of preset responses could be returned hence the emulation of the chip in software as it were for the purposes of this hack. That said assuming it is the same chip (and any would be seed values if such things exist for the algorithms involved) then it is possible to port it over but it is not that trivial of a hack compared to much of the anti piracy we tend to see. N64 hackers seem to be something of a rarity but I reckon it could be done by anybody with reasonably good MIPS knowledge (which the PS2 and PSP among other things had).

Reactions: [Truth]

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The incorrect damage color is the only "glitch" in the VC version. The framerate lag was actually added into the game with an update so it feels more like the original N64 version. Really stupid, I know. But if you find a wad file for the 1.0 version then it plays perfectly smooth.

Not a big fan of injecting/altering ROM files with WADs, due to the risk bricking, and how emulators have filters, VC does not and therefore looks like s**t on non-CRT TVs. Wii64 runs the game better.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is how you apply the patch the oldschool N64 scene way:

Download Winaps: http://www.file-upload.net/download-6900620/WINAPS-BT-APS.zip.html

1. Open Winaps.exe
2. select browse on the left side to select the source aps.
3. select browse on the right side to select banjo tooie u.z64 (not included)
4. make sure to select both files in the list
5. apply patch and have fun :)

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone get this game to run on a Z64 with the crack? I get a black screen. here is my setup
1. Z64 HW2 with 256Mbit RAM
2. Command and Conquer boot cart
3. N64 RAM Expansion Pak installed

I used both the flashcart and NON-flash USA ROM.
a. The flashcart ROM i did not do any patching and I get a black screen
b. The NON-flashcart version I tried patching it with the USA crack using Winaps but got black screen. I also put the crack.aps and put it on the root of my CF card and renamed the un-patched ROM to the same filename as the crack and I still got a black screen. I can see the message flashed patching .aps so I can tell it's patching the ROM but still no dice. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Thanks in advance.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. I thought by the title it was about that huge stop and swap secret. :ninja:

Does donkey kong 64 still have emulation problems? Or are they fixed?
This thread is over 5 years old. The cracked part meant they finally got past the antipiracy thing. Not better emulation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    oowpf What a work out it would be to help the guy get back down to normal :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't know why pizza hut has fries now
    You're joking right?
    But also by the same token, I wouldn't mind if they had potato wedges instead :)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Taco bell, and Mcdonalds both sold pizza, so its fair
    I knew of Taco Bell doing so, but Mickey Dees?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    yea years ago, small personal pizzas
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    McDonald's pizza was pretty good 🥰
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pepsi owns Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, so that made since Pizza hut pizza was sold in Taco bells.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pepsi, and it's companies, did not pull out of Russia like most did, even tho they orig said they would, so I boycott them. (Except when drunk at 2am and Taco bell is only place open.)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking 4 wings and a small pan is $9
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Plus delivery, tip, and tax...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I go and get it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I wish there was a Sonic near me. I see the commercials all the time on TV, and the milkshakes sounds so good, esp the Oreo Cheesecake milkshake.
    +1
    Sonic for me is 60 miles away. :sad: So Nahh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Same, closest one for me is over 45min drive, too far. I have a Dairy Queen 3 minutes away.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I usually just make my own milkshakes at home with a Ninja blender, but minus the milk. - Ice, Margarita mix, and Tequilla. Makes the best shakes!
    +1
    Cheers Brother :D
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonic is over rated garbage just like it's games :O
    What you doin today Syl?
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What you doin today Syl?