Hardware Battery degradation

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any lithium cell you want to keep fairly well charged if it is not in use. To that end I would consider opening it to keep it topped up, you can probably get away with a longer period but if you did want every 3 months or so it is not a bad plan. Don't be paranoid about keeping it at 100% and there is some reason to leaving some of them at lower levels. It is deep discharge that is the real killer if not being used (if being used it is rapid charge that will kill it long before deep discharge will).

If we really cared we could figure out the quiescent current (when powered off what is used to keep RAM based settings and clocks going, as well as whatever is also powered if their power management is weak), self discharge rates and use that to get a better timeframe but it is not going to get all puffy, leak or drop significant total capacity if you delay the once every few months charge for a week or three. I should also say at this point I have not properly looked into the switch charge controller -- part of the problem with older charge controllers for lithium was that they only did normal regime charging, if it dropped too low it might then require fancy constant current charge cycles, temperature/voltage control and more that it would not do properly and thus the effective capacity dropped. Being a newer device it should be slightly less prone to that.

If this was a launch machine you were thinking to unbox in 8 or so months when the hacks get fairly well developed, or if it is some kind of rare colour scheme you want to flog in 5 years then do consider it. I have no idea what the kids are going to think about such things -- for the original xbox they like things sorted as far as the clock batteries go, plenty of amigas have been killed by leaky batteries and pokemon having its battery swapped actually adds to the value for some. On the other hand they might make a thread like this, someone will say the battery is likely knackered, here is where you can get a replacement and here is how you do it and it is very easy, at which point being covered in shrink wrap might be desirable.

Older Nickel based stuff, especially NiMh, is not so prone to deep discharge related issues if stored at normal household temperatures (stick it in a freezing shed, like you might with tools, and that is a different matter).

Battery chemistry, charge management and such is all very involved if you want it to be, on the other hand it boils down fairly nicely to "if you can keep a device stored at normal household temperatures charged via slow* means such that it can turn on and run happily for a while it is not a bad thing".

*fast charge, high capacity, long life -- pick two

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The batteries we need are Tesla's batteries from the 1900's that powered the Victorian electric cars. one of the cars had been sitting for 80 years and they charged the battery and drove the car. what modern battery lasts 80 years and then holds a charge enough to drive an electric car a good distance.....

The only batteries that last are the batteries powering the SNES cart's Sram chip. the cr2023. My super mario world cart is from October 1991 and it still holds the save. Yeah i know its a low current draw, but the integrity of the battery has held for 26 years. same with my super mario kart. I know its not rechargeable but still that's pretty good

Last edited by Captain_N,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk