EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
I think switch can recalibrate itself. There is a guide by Nintendo for People who are on 3.0 I charged mine to 100% (It stucked on 95%) now it is down to 75% instantly, so I asume it recalibrated himself.
If you do so I suspect you'll calibrate it to a lower mA tho as it really is since the calibration value in the Switch OS itself is completely off to begin with.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funnily enough, I thought for a second that I damaged the right Joy-Con rail pins or the USB-C port, or that I shorted some pins I shouldn't have, because I wasn't being able to enter RCM, and my laptop was instead making the Horizon OS boot. I was beginning to worry when I noticed the battery problem yet again.
I can confirm that during the battery issue there is a strange effect on the ability to enter RCM that can make you think you've damaged the USB C port. But it vanishes as soon as you do the battery connector fix.

Reactions: DarkMatterCore

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you do so I suspect you'll calibrate it to a lower mA tho as it really is since the calibration value in the Switch OS itself is completely off to begin with.

Maybe, but it fixed it at least, I get low Energy now and I am at 7% atm. so it seems to work agian.

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but it fixed it at least, I get low Energy now and I am at 7% atm. so it seems to work agian.

You obviously have a different problem than ours because we can't do the nintendo method : again the switch turns off every minute or so when it reaches 30%, it's quite impossible or really tedious to then drain it to 0% (and most likely not good for the battery to charge it 1000000 times just to turn it on every minute).

Also I tried to discharge it completely in RCM and charge it fully on Horizon and it didn't fix it. So again, it's a different problem.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You obviously have a different problem than ours because we can't do the nintendo method : again the switch turns off every minute or so when it reaches 30%, it's quite impossible or really tedious to then drain it to 0% (and most likely not good for the battery to charge it 1000000 times just to turn it on every minute).

Also I tried to discharge it completely in RCM and charge it fully on Horizon and it didn't fix it. So again, it's a different problem.

Maybe, through I had the same, I Spent tons of hours in Linux and now my Switch shutdown on 30% died. So yeah, I through I am on same boat.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Not impossible or tedious. Just consumes time. Do what I said a page back and youll get it to die at 1% and it will charge the whole way.

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Not impossible or tedious. Just consumes time. Do what I said a page back and youll get it to die at 1% and it will charge the whole way.
But it's still a stupid idea to charge your Switch ~100 times just for this when opening it isn't super hard. I know some don't know how to but then again if you're not willing to risk your console you should never hack it or run stuff that's not designed for it on it.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But it's still a stupid idea to charge your Switch ~100 times just for this when opening it isn't super hard. I know some don't know how to but then again if you're not willing to risk your console you should never hack it or run stuff that's not designed for it on it.
It doesnt take 100 times. If you step down power consumption, you may have to charge it all of two times.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesnt take 100 times. If you step down power consumption, you may have to charge it all of two times.

I tried that method at least 5x. There was a marginal improvement, but still was shutting down without warning at a higher percentage than it should. Disconnecting / reconnecting the battery fixed it completely.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried that method at least 5x. There was a marginal improvement, but still was shutting down without warning at a higher percentage than it should. Disconnecting / reconnecting the battery fixed it completely.
It works 100% of the time for me regardless of desynced percentage, so dont know what to tell you there. Removing the battery fixes it because it probably clears nvram or something. Unfortunately, I'm not opening my Switch every single time I want to do something in linux on it.

Reactions: Rizzorules

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using my own compiled coreboot + kernel + rootfs didn't yield positive results. My Switch is yet again displaying the battery discharge issue. Funnily enough, I thought for a second that I damaged the right Joy-Con rail pins or the USB-C port, or that I shorted some pins I shouldn't have, because I wasn't being able to enter RCM, and my laptop was instead making the Horizon OS boot. I was beginning to worry when I noticed the battery problem yet again.

@Shadow LAG Since I've been able to replicate the issue not once, but twice, using different rootfs, are there any kind of tests you may to perform? Just let me know.

I'm going to do exactly what you did this weekend and see if I can get my switch to be effected. For now, please list your firmware on switch and joycon, pin method, and purchase date. Also we're you effected before, did the battery trick, and then re-effected?

Last edited by Shadow LAG,

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works 100% of the time for me regardless of desynced percentage, so dont know what to tell you there. Removing the battery fixes it because it probably clears nvram or something. Unfortunately, I'm not opening my Switch every single time I want to do something in linux on it.
I mean Linux is still pretty shitty on the Switch, I don't see the need to boot into it all the time. I just wanted to grab a nand dump, and now you don't even need linux for that.

And it takes all of 5 minutes to open the Switch - much easier and quicker than draining and recharging multiple times.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean Linux is still pretty shitty on the Switch, I don't see the need to boot into it all the time. I just wanted to grab a nand dump, and now you don't even need linux for that.

And it takes all of 5 minutes to open the Switch - much easier and quicker than draining and recharging multiple times.
You're entitled to your opinion. I can let it sit there while I do other things, I'm not that obsessed with it. And yea, I guess you wouldn't need to boot into Linux often if you aren't doing anything that requires it. Imagine that.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're entitled to your opinion. I can let it sit there while I do other things, I'm not that obsessed with it. And yea, I guess you wouldn't need to boot into Linux often if you aren't doing anything that requires it. Imagine that.
So what work are you doing that requires a buggy implementation of Linux running on a Switch specifically? It's a novelty.

Who said anything about being obsessed? I'd rather just spend 5 minutes doing a definitive fix then dick around for days with discharging and recharging.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain

I can confirm this as well.

I'm going to do exactly what you did this weekend and see if I can get my switch to be effected. For now, please list your firmware on switch and joycon, pin method, and purchase date. Also we're you effected before, did the battery trick, and then re-effected?

Switch version: 5.0.2.
Pin method: shorting pins 1 & 10.
Purchase date: that's a big blank for me. I bought it through a reseller almost a month a half ago, but I don't know when they bought it. It's clearly an US console, that much I can tell. If it helps, its serial number is XAW40008842196.

And yes, I fixed the issue the first time with the battery trick, then got the problem a second time. I don't know how to check the Joy-Con version, btw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.