Being very overweight.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When i see a person who is very overweight who is young too, first that comes to mind is what happened or didn't happen that person that made them become so overweight?

This thread is more to get an understanding why someone might gain so much weight its not a bashing or weight shaming.

One thing i hear is genetics, which i believe and most science research confirm unless its a very rare disease. most people should be able to lose weight with good diet and exercise.

Sugar is the number one enemy of the human race imo. not a country which your government leaders said or what was written in a book how many years ago.

your thoughts?
One of the possible reasons must be being addicted too all the junk foods because they are made to be addictive, and eating all those bad things while only sitting in front of a TV or a computer for most of your life. I don't blame the people themselves for that, it's the fault of humans making all that junk food to be unhealthy and addictive. Humans are destroying themselves.

Reactions: BigOnYa and Flame

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean what i think of you?

i think you are a great guy. even better that you are trying to improve yourself. :)

someones character is not based on they weight.

I'm not in the best of moods. I've had it with psx place. first, I lose my mod position, then I lose my dev position, and after all that, my intelligence is called into question by certain members. I mean why am I still there?. just because I know about the wii u, doesn't automatically make me qualified to help with the switch, so I don't. I mean they both use tickets, so I must know about the switch automatically, right?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That why we need a virtual bike riding game, like gta v style but you really ride a stationary bike, with the bike moving around in game, like a "Pella" bike game version, that would be cool, and help me with my big ass too.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I am a big guy. And I know the reason why too - sadness (I don't want to say "depression" since I haven't had that confirmed). But it started with barely being able to eat because of sadness, and then starting to eat again, and then eating bigger servings and more cookies and candy and sugary stuff. And soda, and energy drinks. I did change my lifestyle too: my earlier years of skateboarding were gone, I wasn't going swimming due to time constraints, and I stopped going to the exercise place (kinda like aerobics) when I broke my hand... and never started again due to time and money.

Then I just grew and grew and grew. And disliking who I became lead me to eat more, for comfort. Sugar and food always tasted good, and was a safe space in my mind.

Eventually I plateaued at a certain weight, and from there, I am now working my way down again, by cutting some stuff, exercising more (5 minutes of exercise is better than 0), and the most important step in my opinion... What's that, you ask? Counting calories. Calories in vs Calories out.
This is such a good thing just to get a view of your eating habits. You'll see so clearly where the biggest culprits are. I did it before, but stopped for some random reason. Gonna pick it back up again.

I do have to say, I have always weighed a lot. I know the "big boned" thing is fake or whatever, but when I was skinny, I was still heavy. And according to BMI I have always been close to "overweight" when I was a skinny lad.
Now I am "super mega fat" or whatever according to BMI, but I don't care about that :P

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am a big guy. And I know the reason why too - sadness (I don't want to say "depression" since I haven't had that confirmed). But it started with barely being able to eat because of sadness, and then starting to eat again, and then eating bigger servings and more cookies and candy and sugary stuff. And soda, and energy drinks. I did change my lifestyle too: my earlier years of skateboarding were gone, I wasn't going swimming due to time constraints, and I stopped going to the exercise place (kinda like aerobics) when I broke my hand... and never started again due to time and money.

Then I just grew and grew and grew. And disliking who I became lead me to eat more, for comfort. Sugar and food always tasted good, and was a safe space in my mind.

Eventually I plateaued at a certain weight, and from there, I am now working my way down again, by cutting some stuff, exercising more (5 minutes of exercise is better than 0), and the most important step in my opinion... What's that, you ask? Counting calories. Calories in vs Calories out.
This is such a good thing just to get a view of your eating habits. You'll see so clearly where the biggest culprits are. I did it before, but stopped for some random reason. Gonna pick it back up again.

I do have to say, I have always weighed a lot. I know the "big boned" thing is fake or whatever, but when I was skinny, I was still heavy. And according to BMI I have always been close to "overweight" when I was a skinny lad.
Now I am "super mega fat" or whatever according to BMI, but I don't care about that :P
Good on you for identifying the problem and not making excuses for it, and actually trying to do something about it ^_^

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sugar has been substituted for fat in so many convenience foods, it's easy to consume in sodas, it's by nature addictive, you always want to consume more.

losing weight is fine and fun when you see results, but often, it takes ages for results to show, which takes any motivation, making comfort food appealing again. also, excercise is hard. it's probably not the norm, but I so much as run more than a minute, i'll be dealing with muscle cramps for the next couple days. similar with pushups. i can easily do 12 and been trying to work my way up by doing 12 multiple times a day, but if go for more than that, more cramps. and i can't have those at work.
it's also hard while working in general. the only time i successfully lose a few pounds at all is if i happen to combine sickleave with vacation. cause then, i'm not wasting away 10 hours where i have to eat or feel like collapsing all day. and when i'm finally back home, i don't have the energy for much of anything.
most weight i lose, i do when i can spend two or three weeks with 14+ hours in bed, when i can sleep when feeling hungry and don't have to work hard.

then there's family. if parents are overweight in general, there's a real good chance they're cooking much more than you really need. and some will definitely shame you into eating to not let it go to waste.
i know i can't be the only person whose mother was extremely offended when i wouldn't want to partake in dinner or when i just didn't want to eat as much, that's likely true even if you're in a more healthy family.

i've been trying to get back to 160 pounds for years, but the closest i ever manage is 170. and no matter what i do then, it doesn't drop further. and I'll always eventually bounce back to 190-196. and i'm not even drinking soda.
also did calorie counting for a few months, when i got my samsung watch, got in my 10000 steps, less than 1700 calories a day on average, barely lost anything, then gave up counting as it was too much hassle. honestly, i feel like my body is shutting down stuff the moment it notices I'm consuming less so i'll still end up with +calories and what little exercise my body allows before cramping and putting me in pain for the week just doesn't seem to be cutting it :/
and when i think about that, i feel like i might as well indulge in a bag of chips. it's a cycle of sorts.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Ace001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covid 19 is actual Number One on the List of many,many People "Why I am eating so much...."

I have no Idea why,since last February 2020,my Eating Behavior has suffered something recently.....
I dont know what it is about working from home and just not wanting to get the virus that has caused me to get a few pounds. Like i get when i ate pre-covid since i used to work at a warehouse but now i ask myself why i even eat when i'm literally sitting in front of my PC Taking calls. It feels wrong but i know i gotta eat.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
p1ng hit the nail on the head I think, it's a matter of people opting to eat loads of easy, non-nutritious foods and spending more and more time sedentary than moving around/exercising, whether that's because of a job that "requires" it or just generally being lazy or just a "family lifestyle" people are raised in.

Sometimes that can be out of your control, ie people who have to kill themselves with low wage jobs and can't afford/don't have time for proper, non-processed foods or people who just don't know any better ("I only get salads from McDonalds, I only drink diet sodas! I walk 2 miles a days, surely that's enough to work off all the food I eat! So why am I still fat???"). But I think in the majority of cases it's really down to people who just don't want to/can't bother to maintain their health (and almost assuredly not "I HAVE A CONDITION" or "IT'S ALL DOWN TO GENETICS I NEVER EAT FOOD YET HERE I AM 600LBS!"), especially when people might have gone most of their lives eating the junk that caused it in the first place.

At my heaviest I used to border 300lbs for the most part, and it wasn't until about 4 years ago that I decided to really change my eating habits and lifestyle to start getting my health in order. I can certainly attest to it being a very difficult thing to remedy, given that I spent 20 or whatever years set in my ways, so I can understand when people say "it's just so hard", especially if you don't have the right motivation for it. It takes so long to lose the weight and it's so easy to gain it back, and that's really what kills it for a lot of people. It took me about 2.5 years to go from 280 to my target goal of 180, a "measly" 100lbs, and I nearly gave up halfway through when I hit a wall until my wife announced she was pregnant and I had something to push me past the remaining weight that I hit maybe 2-3 weeks before my daughter was born.

...but unfortunately, my weight has been shooting back up this year as I've been falling back into my old habits once again :(. I went from about 180->240 since the whole pandemic started. It's been very depressing really, and I really need to start pushing myself to go back to the way I was.

Reactions: Flame

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you mean what i think of you?

i think you are a great guy. even better that you are trying to improve yourself. :)

someones character is not based on they weight.

sorry, my friend. I felt like someone on another site was trying to insult my intelligence. it feels like he's always trying to prove me wrong. I'm a very sensitive person, so sometimes I post in anger just to let it all out. it wasn't directed towards you but at my frustration at the situation.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consuming something like a Mountain Dew a day will certainly do the trick: lots of sugar to take in, all for that caffeine so I can hopefully get more done in one day.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I just finished my next exercise session. it's definitely getting easier and fast. my trainer tore her acl, so she couldn't stand. we did both leg and arm exercises, so she could only describe the leg exercises to me.

did you do deadlifts? i love doing deadlitfs.

Reactions: godreborn

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Many people also fail to realize that portion control is also a huge factor. Eating until you're "full" or "stuffed" is eating too much. Smaller meals through-out the day (maybe 4 small meals) is better than 2 or 3 large meals.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Many people also fail to realize that portion control is also a huge factor. Eating until you're "full" or "stuffed" is eating too much. Smaller meals through-out the day (maybe 4 small meals) is better than 2 or 3 large meals.

imo a good diet is 70% of the job of weight losing or building muscle or getting fit in general.

Reactions: Jayro and gamefan5

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it can heavily factor with genetics,,,Once under weight, it's a pain in the ass to actually get normal weight. So I wouldn't be surprised the opposite end of the spectrum applies
Two-fold regarding genetics. You could have 2 people who eat the same and do the same amount of activity, but no telling if they will weigh the same amount, nor which would have more fat or more muscle, it all depends.

The 2nd is genetic traits like anxiety/compulsive eating etc. One person regardless of metabolism could be more likely to eat more and more often.

Maybe you get the 5'7/200kg by combining the two traits? And who knows what other traits can contribute as well.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to weigh around 270 lbs a year ago.
After 6 months, I lost 88 pounds to get to 182 lbs.

I didn't exercise. All I did is go switch my nutrition. I went low-carb (keto) and did intermittent fasting while also doing CICO. Worked like a charm, and best thing about it, it was a very comfortable journey,

Now, i exercise, doing strength training at home, to have a better physique. And of course, I have kept keeping my way of eating and I am still at it. The benefits have been too great, especially in my energy output.

Sugar is the number one enemy that fucks people's metabolism and unables them to breakdown fats for energy.

Last edited by gamefan5,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Flame , I just got done with another exercise regime. we did deadlifts this time. :D my back was getting sore, because we did many back and shoulder exercises.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol