Homebrew Best Emultors Wii

jamespoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
so a shop here had a good sale last week and i picked up a Samsung 64gb micro sd card with adapter for $21nzd

and i wanted to know a list of emulators that work good or almost perfect on the wii and what ones have problems or don't work will with many games

because i don't really want to add roms and emulators to my sd card and they run like crap

Reactions: kaisersozeh

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I installed wiiflow and browse emu games by cover - wiiflow plugins
Consoles - anything prior to playstation/n64 works - playstation/n64 support is patchy but good - anything after that has no chance. (Excepting GameCube, obvs)
I dunno about arcade roms but there seems to be a lot of support on getting stuff to work here, up to later neo geo roms.
You'll end up with thousands of roms if you download everything that'll work - I went to raket boy's hidden gems and just use anything that got a mention there.
Also sequels, interesting Japanese titles, a few bits of console homebrew - covers and games (not including ps or n64) - well under 4 gig
Good luck, this rabbit hole runs deep...

Last edited by kaisersozeh,
Reactions: jamespoo

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
NES, Master System, SNES, Mega Drive (and Sega CD), PC-Engine (and PC-E CD), GB, GBC, GBA, Virtual Boy, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color, Neo Geo Pocket, and probably another console I forget seem to work perfect or almost perfect on the Wii with the proper emulator (mGBA for GBA, and not VBA, for example). Thanks to the infra-red on the Wiimote you can even play NES / SNES lightgun games on modern TVs and get a rather close experience to the original (you probably won't miss using 6 batteries on the superscope, though).

There are others, like MSX, which can work, but most games require you to have a keyboard connected (as the original system had one) and Atari 2600/7800. I don't put much time into arcade stuff, so I can't comment.

As for N64 and PS1, some games do certainly work, but the compatibility is way lower and only a few are what we could say "fully playable". I remember beating Symphony of the Night and Digimon World 1 on it, before getting a "new" PS2. You can check the compatibility lists done here to see if there's a game you like and is playable enough, but don't get your hopes up.

Most of the Retroarch emulators work very nicely on Wii.
N64 and Playstation emulators (Wii64 and WiiSX) run okay.

Which version of Retroarch do you use on the Wii?

Reactions: kaisersozeh

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just wanted to second that lightgun titles work really well.
Anything with a point and click interface - theres an emu for pc monkey island type adventure things. Scummvm.
Quite a few of the DOS and desktop computer games have configs already set up for many of the most popular games. If there's something you particularly want that needs a keyboard, you can typically map the keys to the wiimote and never need the keyboard again, but i quite like using a keyboard for some retro home computer things

GhostHero182

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snes9xGx is very good, all of my games ran flawlessly. FCE Ultra GX is good too. VBAGX apparently has issues, but I’ve only tested one game (which ran flawlessly). Nintendon’t can run GC games (even if it doesn’t work for me). WiiSX is alright, but not the best PSX emulator out there.

huntertron1

dancing to music!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not recommended but you can use the official virtual console programs by injecting some wads with a custom ROM. (needs to be a wad from that console)
BUT its not recommended. i did it before with some sonic ROM hacks.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snes9xGx is very good, all of my games ran flawlessly. FCE Ultra GX is good too. VBAGX apparently has issues, but I’ve only tested one game (which ran flawlessly). Nintendon’t can run GC games (even if it doesn’t work for me). WiiSX is alright, but not the best PSX emulator out there.
Don't use VBA, mGBA is infinitely faster.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Different people, different strokes, I guess, which is fine, and it's nice to have options too. I've learnt some people take the way menus look very seriously, for example. On the other hand I rather have functionality, as I don't spend much time on the menus myself.

But being fair on the subject, Retroarch Wii (or any version, I suppose) requires some configuration to do so you get the best picture quality and such, which some really don't like to do, and after a certain version it has been suffering issues that make using it a bit of a hassle and don't seem to be fixed (like per core configurations not working, or certain emulation issues, and asking about it on the forum makes you go nowhere, and on the discord channel they don't seem to respond either). I find it sad to say, but I imagine they don't care much about it anymore with it getting popular on PC, yet I'd love to see a sort of "final version" where issues are fixed, because RA on the Wii can be pretty exceptional having in mind how simple the Wii is and how well it can work. I've been using an old version of it for years based simply on the fact of how it performs.

But anyway, VBA GX works well for GB and GBC games. I have both, although I use Gambatte 99% of the time, ironically, because of how easy is to change palettes on GB games. Also RA menu is quicker to move around and at least personally I find it more responsive when making screenshots (which I make often). GX menu style is fine for most things, but it is nowhere as responsive as RA's GUI, specially when making screenshots in large numbers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo