• Views 5,574
  • Replies 60

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried a couple of "apps" that apparently work for that with no success.
I think the Windows equivalent is "Joy2Key" but I might be horribly outdated on that front. I pretty much use nothing but Linux distros at this point. Luckily, WINE works rather well for most older games and just about all the new games I care about also get Linux versions. I do know some versions of Windows are rather picky about how input is handled.

Either way, the PC version of Beyond Good & Evil is pretty weak compared to the HD version for PS3 and 360. It doesn't support widescreen out of the box and I don't think the game-breaking bugs ever got patched out. Hell, I think I'd recommend the original Xbox version over the PC version.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Windows equivalent is "Joy2Key" but I might be horribly outdated on that front. I pretty much use nothing but Linux distros at this point. Luckily, WINE works rather well for most older games and just about all the new games I care about also get Linux versions. I do know some versions of Windows are rather picky about how input is handled.

Either way, the PC version of Beyond Good & Evil is pretty weak compared to the HD version for PS3 and 360. It doesn't support widescreen out of the box and I don't think the game-breaking bugs ever got patched out. Hell, I think I'd recommend the original Xbox version over the PC version.
You could also play the GameCube version in HD on Dolphin. I'm pretty sure the newer Dolphin releases have it running full speed. No widescreen support (afaik, maybe someone made a hack for it), but if you've got a good PC, don't have a PS3/360, and want controller support, there you go.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could also play the GameCube version in HD on Dolphin. I'm pretty sure the newer Dolphin releases have it running full speed. No widescreen support (afaik, maybe someone made a hack for it), but if you've got a good PC, don't have a PS3/360, and want controller support, there you go.
The higher resolution doesn't necessarily make it on par with the HD version, especially the NGC version. If I remember correctly, the NGC version had higher compression on the textures and some audio due to the limited space of the NGC discs. The HD version got a bit of extra polish and updates.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The higher resolution doesn't necessarily make it on par with the HD version, especially the NGC version. If I remember correctly, the NGC version had higher compression on the textures and some audio due to the limited space of the NGC discs. The HD version got a bit of extra polish and updates.
Oh, I'm not in any way knocking the official HD releases on PS3/360. Just offering an alternative in case a user doesn't have/want one of the consoles. I suppose a better way to phrase my idea is HD pixel resolution.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

JoyToKey doesn't seem to work on modern OSes. You need Xpadder these days (which does work reasonably well though, but it went paid only)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm not in any way knocking the official HD releases on PS3/360. Just offering an alternative in case a user doesn't have/want one of the consoles. I suppose a better way to phrase my idea is HD pixel resolution.
Yeah, I guess if someone was limited to a PC and/or Wii/NGC, that'd be their best bet. I'd still recommend at least the original Xbox version over running the NGC version through Dolphin, if PS3/360 aren't a choice.
JoyToKey doesn't seem to work on modern OSes. You need Xpadder these days (which does work reasonably well though, but it went paid only)
That's rough. I feel bad for anyone using a newer version of Windows to play classic PC games, then.

Last edited by TecXero,

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I guess if someone was limited to a PC and/or Wii/NGC, that'd be their best bet. I'd still recommend at least the original Xbox version over running the NGC over Dolphin, if PS3/360 aren't a choice.
Certainly a good suggestion, though I'm basing my idea off the assumption that the user has no consoles. I don't disagree, though, if you really wanna do it, do it right and get the official HD rerelease or find a cheap Original Xbox somewhere :P . If you don't want to/can't, Dolphin.
I've been using GlovePIE on Windows with good success. The only issue is that the thing has an insane learning curve, but basic input emulation on it is a cinch (hint: "key.z = xinput.a" is all you need to do to map the A Button to the Z key on the keyboard. The joysticks are a little more complex, but there are tons of premade scripts and guides, Google is your friend).

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Certainly a good suggestion, though I'm basing my idea off the assumption that the user has no consoles. I don't disagree, though, if you really wanna do it, do it right and get the official HD rerelease or find a cheap Original Xbox somewhere :P . If you don't want to/can't, Dolphin.
Yeah, it'd probably be better experience than the PC version, so I'll agree with you there. That was a lazy PC port.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I've been using GlovePIE on Windows with good success. The only issue is that the thing has an insane learning curve, but basic input emulation on it is a cinch (hint: "key.z = xinput.a" is all you need to do to map the A Button to the Z key on the keyboard. The joysticks are a little more complex, but there are tons of premade scripts and guides, Google is your friend).
I used GlovePie for Wiimote stuff when the Wii was still current, played around with scripts and such, some games worked pretty well with motion controls. I found it too troublesome to have to write a script just to play a game though so I never used it with anything else. These days if I want to use a Wiimote on my PC I use the Wiimote driver that someone conveniently made, so much easier :D But I digress.

Steve Antony Williams

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't really know if my PC is "up to" it re: Wii emulation, I've not had much joy with PCSX2 (I wanted to play Radiata Stories) so I'm guessing Dolphin is unlikely to be much good either.

spec.jpg

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't really know if my PC is "up to" it re: Wii emulation, I've not had much joy with PCSX2 (I wanted to play Radiata Stories) so I'm guessing Dolphin is unlikely to be much good either. -snip-
Give it a shot. The main blottlenecks you might run into are maybe your graphics card, since you didn't provide any information about that, and/or your CPU, since Dolphin has never been very fond of AMD CPUs.

Last edited by TecXero,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The GFX card is just the onboard AMD thingy.
Which onboard AMD thingy? It depends on your motherboard since the GPU is integrated into the motherboard, not the CPU.
Anyway the AMD FX series of CPUs are powerful from what I've heard, about the only good CPUs that AMD makes.
It should run Dolphin just fine.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't really know if my PC is "up to" it re: Wii emulation, I've not had much joy with PCSX2 (I wanted to play Radiata Stories) so I'm guessing Dolphin is unlikely to be much good either.

spec.jpg
Try some of the easier-to-emulate games, like Star Fox Assault. Seriously, when I still had a potato PC, I could run it at full speed. Not in full HD, but at least at 720 or so I think, a huge pixel resolution jump in its own right considering the typical output of a GameCube. Though this was also about 5 or 6 years ago, too. Integrated tech is a bit stronger these days and those AMD APUs (which was what I had back then) are decent, though @TecXero is right about Dolphin getting along nicer with Intel tech.

Steve Antony Williams

Trophies
XP
Country
It's AMD R7 200 Series. I have no idea if that's good or bad. I was disappointed my PC and PCSX2 weren't up to the job of Radiata Stories. As I'm unlikely to get a modded or NTSC PS2 anytime soon I was hoping to play it on PC. I guess in another 5 years or so we might have good PS2 emus on our Androids instead :)

I always hoped Sony would make the Vita so it could play PS2, kind of like the PSP plays PS1, I think they missed a trick there.

D

Deleted User

OP
Zelda Four Swords Adventures!!!

Actually this ones pretty slow due to you needing to run the dolphin emulator + 1-4 GBA emulators linked depending on how many players you want to play with.
I've played the real thing with a Wii (dios mios is awesome!), a few GBAs and GBA-to-GameCube adapters.
Somewhat elaborate setup but it was great fun.

If your interested you'll need VBA-m (its a GBA emulator) and read some tutorials ... can't remember where.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @HiradeGirl, This commercial doesn't need to be made.