Best thing you ever got from a pound shop/dollar store

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
A set of 16 tiny screwdrivers from Poundland. They were covered in grease inside the box, took me ages to clean it off but now they're brilliant, been using them for years.

I heard a rumor they had GB Micro accessory packs in there that contained a USB charging cable, but my local store never got them. I saw a pack of 4 nasty coloured faceplates in there once, I kinda regret not getting those and painting them.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh well it wasn't £1 but I also got a £3.99 thermos flask which is awesome holds about >pint
Also have got bike locks that weren't great.
1 Litre lucozade bottles and coke bottles yum

They also do rubbish halloween costumes and stuffs.

I bloody wish I found an unopened GBC for £1 in a shop I would have it even just to use as an ornament x) But that's a damn good find.

And Yeha they do terrible wiimote addons which I don't like really, just adding on extra length and danger of hitting things with them and they're more of a hinderance than anything
ohmy.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good stuff people- looks like some good things exist in ones you find yourselves in.

Personally I am sad that these sorts of shops are about as close I get to a proper old world hardware store these days (there are a couple in some of the outlying villages and one or two for electronics but all the others have now closed around here) but they are still not a patch on a proper one.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once got myself a fake iPod when I was little. I loved it, and thought it was real, until it was pushed off a coffee table (less than a foot off the ground too!) and it stopped working. Gee, I didn't know carpet was that deadly.....
tongue.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A real (unsharpened) battle axe.
Really.
I was on a band trip, and wandered into a random dollar store with a buddy while everyone else was off getting food..and the first thing I saw was a 50$ battle axe.

So I impulse bought it LOL.

"Leave it to Chris to go for food and come back with a battle axe"

Good times.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Don't see many 'laser pens' in the £1 shops in the UK - but I would say

'USB SD Card reader'

I've brought 3-4 of these in total, 2 for myself & the other for friends etc
Never gone wrong on me (yet) - unlike those MicroSD card readers you get with the flashcards

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best item ever obtained through such a shop was a painting print of the late, great Malcolm X which served to further educated me toward his biography, followed by the teachings of Louis Farrakhan, and eventually the total denouncement of the Zionist regime in general.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some gamepad that works remarkably well in windows and i use it for GC, PSX, and PS2 emulation and it works 100%

best thing iv'e ever bought !

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
i once got this little plastic pig that came with a packet of black jelly beans that you would load into the body of the pig, then press down on its head, squeezing out a jelly bean, thus making it look like it was taking a dump...i found it rather hilarious at the time, and wish i could find more of these wonderful novelty items to give to people as gifts...

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
usb 2.0 hub from poundland, they don't sell this anymore, they only sell the 1.0 version which is much slower, it works great on my ps3 for memory cards, keyboard and so on.

memory card reader (for micro sd, sd, memory stick), the same memory card reader costs £5 on ebay, no joke.

my best bargain was a ps2 vertical light up stand that costs $19.99 (it's gone down to $11.99) on deal extreme and i got it for £1, i am still well chuffed with it
smile.gif
here is the link:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8851
tongue.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The Pi said:
A gbc in its original box unopened, only a quid
smile.gif

lucky sod, i never get anything like that! i did however find a gameboy colour charger battery pack in a 99p shop! i brought it straight away!

DeadLocked said:
And Yeha they do terrible wiimote addons which I don't like really, just adding on extra length and danger of hitting things with them and they're more of a hinderance than anything
ohmy.gif

yeah those wiimote sports packs are atrocious, i do like the simpsons battery case and strap for 99p stores though.

QUOTE(George Dawes @ Jun 6 2010, 11:50 AM)
And a mini-bluetooth dongle from the 99p shop (or maybe poundworld) last week. Works perfect in OSX and windows.

lucky! i need another bluetooth dongle, my last one broke and it cost me £20 from carphone warehouse!

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rogue Trader said:
I was wondering, I know from my visits to the States that you guys add tax at the counter (which is incredibly annoying btw, but that is another matter). Does that happen in dollar stores as well?

In which case, does that mean that nothing is actually a dollar, it's actually like a dollar and seven cents, or is this in some way accounted for?

There used to be a dollar store in the town I live in where everything that was a dollar was actually 93 cents, this way you could just use a dollar instead of having to bring in change all the time.

The best thing I ever bough from it? 7 packs of fake "Yu-Gi-Oh!" cards, each pack included around 100 cards. Yeah, I got a lot of triples, and yeah, it cost me 7 bucks, but it was totally worth it for the absolutely awful translation job on each card description. Those things are hilarious, it's like they're not even trying.

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgghjjkll said:
Believe it or not, a fake chinese copy of Windows 2000 which really was an old modified version of knoppix...

Wow, I can't believe that someone would actually take the time to modifiy knoppix to resemble windows. I would just put a copy of ubuntu in the box and do a favor to the person who bought it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Caller -"Everytime I start a Pc game on my S24, playing on a external monitor, someone calls or...