Bethesda will patch the new DOOM re-releases to make the mandatory login optional

osA9urY.png

After DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 all released on modern-day platforms, to the excitement of many, players were shocked to realize that they were forced to use a BethesdaNet account in order to actually play the games. This decision was met with a sizeable amount of backlash, with lots of fans criticizing Bethesda for adding online DRM to a 25-year-old classic game. After the minor controversy, Bethesda is walking back the decision, and is looking into patching all three games to make the login optional, saying it was initially included so that Slayer's Club users could earn points for their account, by playing the games. A fix should be out soon, though if you're really determined to play it without making an account, there's already a workaround on certain platforms.

:arrow: Source

SlasherGamer21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Also I heard they botched the music/sound. Wow, because emulating old DOS/SB-16 soundfonts is SO hard to do. :rolleyes:

Well according to my friend its not even emulated. That's what fucked it. Its running on the bare hardware of the Switch which we all know is too new to run the game like it did back in the 90's. My friend also said they did this on purpose.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well according to my friend its not even emulated. That's what fucked it. Its running on the bare hardware of the Switch which we all know is too new to run the game like it did back in the 90's. My friend also said they did this on purpose.

Wow, they sure know how to program old games to emulate old sound chips. Not. How f*cking stupid are these programmers?

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only people who can bitch about this is if said account then blocks them from illegally playing because it will flag up and their account gets banned.

Where as ive had no problems running them on the switch, the account is not needed at all.

Its the same old piraters bitching then claiming theyre not pirating.

If your not, then what fucking problem is their in having an account just so they can see how many actually play it.

Its marketing, you want to know what plays more on what system so your not wasting more money investing in a system that gets little attention.

SlasherGamer21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Wow, they sure know how to program old games to emulate old sound chips. Not. How f*cking stupid are these programmers?

I would have just had ID Software do all the porting. I don't trust other companies to port old games because they either do it wrong or implement stuff like DRM that forces you to be online to play it.

As for Bethesda they could have used the homebrew DOSBox port or some crud like that to emulate the hardware needed to run the game fine.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But... That's how ports for these kind pf games work... Even the homebrew ports that the community releases. They are not full emulators. They just emulate the launcher and use the original game files to play the game.

SlasherGamer21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
The only people who can bitch about this is if said account then blocks them from illegally playing because it will flag up and their account gets banned.

Where as ive had no problems running them on the switch, the account is not needed at all.

Its the same old piraters bitching then claiming theyre not pirating.

If your not, then what fucking problem is their in having an account just so they can see how many actually play it.

Its marketing, you want to know what plays more on what system so your not wasting more money investing in a system that gets little attention.

I highly disagree with you. These games are over 20 years old so losing money is out of the question. And you can easily bypass that security by just taking the WAD file and slapping it on a PC and playing it in an emulator.

Last edited by SlasherGamer21,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly disagree with you. These games are over 20 years old so losing money is out of the question. And you can easily bypass that security by just taking the WAD file and slapping it on a PC and playing it in an emulator.
Tho you can find other means even like grabbing it on the og xbox.

It still costs money to release to for example the switch.

Thats another pig ignorant reply from people trying to justify them pirsting costs nothing.

Doesnt matter how old they are, people here are bitching about this account which is not a requirment to play.

Only one thing stops them and thats.....

Reactions: Tigran

SlasherGamer21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia

Thats another pig ignorant reply from people trying to justify them pirsting costs nothing.

Doesnt matter how old they are, people here are bitching about this account which is not a requirment to play.

Did we say we pirate? No
Did we say we think pirating costs nothing? No

What i'm trying to tell you is that people don't like the DRM because it forces you to be online no matter what. The Switch is meant to be portable. Not stuck at home all damn day. Since it has DRM that forces you to be online you can't play it while on the road or if you don't have an internet connection.

I would think it would be in the best interest of all of us if you would stop assuming and accusing people of saying that piracy is okay no matter what and actually bother to read our posts instead of overlooking them. Read the context. Thanks.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 all released on modern-day platforms, to the excitement of many, players were shocked to realize that they were forced to use a BethesdaNet account in order to actually play the games. This decision was met with a sizeable amount of backlash, with lots of fans criticizing Bethesda for adding online DRM to a 25-year-old classic game. After the minor controversy, Bethesda is walking back the decision, and is looking into patching all three games to make the login optional, saying it was initially included so that Slayer's Club users could earn points for their account, by playing the games. A fix should be out soon, though if you're really determined to play it without making an account, there's already a workaround on certain platforms.

:arrow: Source
What if you weren't online? You couldn't play?

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After the minor controversy, Bethesda is walking back the decision, and is looking into patching all three games to make the login optional, saying it was initially included so that Slayer's Club users could earn points for their account, by playing the games

Doubt that is the actual reason as to why the mandatory login was there in the first place. Sounds like they just want to control their player base.

Reactions: SlasherGamer21

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did we say we pirate? No
Did we say we think pirating costs nothing? No

What i'm trying to tell you is that people don't like the DRM because it forces you to be online no matter what. The Switch is meant to be portable. Not stuck at home all damn day. Since it has DRM that forces you to be online you can't play it while on the road or if you don't have an internet connection.

I would think it would be in the best interest of all of us if you would stop assuming and accusing people of saying that piracy is okay no matter what and actually bother to read our posts instead of overlooking them. Read the context. Thanks.
Yet theirs not what you call drm.

The game doesn not need an account to play, but really who gives a fuck if it did.

Wow you get an account, you share your game stats with other gamers playing the same game.

Tell me where is the drm here because i for one know its not needed and im not maiking some bs crock of shit story to cry about it, i pirated them on the switch and they do not need an account.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DOOM Eternal is looking down.

God damn. In checking it's release date, I saw the game has a hub. A fucking hub. Doom 2016 is the last good Doom we will ever see. Get prepared for more of this shit in Eternal. Judging by Young Blood, id is now firmly under the iron grip of Bethesda and will shovel in all the shit it demands.

I rather liked Doom 2016 too.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So I got myself a Bethesda account to be able to play, I sure wasn't able to go past the "You need to log in" screen.
And then I played for a bit. Then put the Switch into sleep mode, and went to bed. Today, I started playing from where I was and got a pop-up saying something along the lines of me being logged out, error error! All I can press is "OKAY" and continue playing... for 5 seconds until the same pop-up comes up. Again and again and again. No options to log in again anywhere... so I had to close the software and boot it again, and log in, to be able to play.

For me this is troublesome since the room where my TV is and where I play 99% of the time, has bad wifi signal. So I have to go downstairs to log in, to be able to play every time. And this was supposed to be for some web based feature? Why didn't they say anything about it then? I'd be interested to check that stuff out at least :P as it is now, it just felt like some stupid "always online DRM" since it has no online features... only Local multiplayer...

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Which Xbox version are you talking about? Xbox Live? That's been removed since the launch of Bethesda's version on Xbox One two days ago.

Prior to Bethesda patch, Doom 1 and 2 requires you to login to bnet at least once to play the game offline. For Doom 3, you need to login to access specific contents.

Last edited by xdarkx, , Reason: Should be Xbox Live and not 360

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Wait I misread it