Bethesda will patch the new DOOM re-releases to make the mandatory login optional

osA9urY.png

After DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 all released on modern-day platforms, to the excitement of many, players were shocked to realize that they were forced to use a BethesdaNet account in order to actually play the games. This decision was met with a sizeable amount of backlash, with lots of fans criticizing Bethesda for adding online DRM to a 25-year-old classic game. After the minor controversy, Bethesda is walking back the decision, and is looking into patching all three games to make the login optional, saying it was initially included so that Slayer's Club users could earn points for their account, by playing the games. A fix should be out soon, though if you're really determined to play it without making an account, there's already a workaround on certain platforms.

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Could be like in my case, legit user who don't have access to wifi at all times, and actually had trouble playing thanks to it earlier today (like I previously wrote in this thread).
Sure, I don't have a big problem with having to create and link an account, more than it's a step that I don't really see the reason for. I want my console games to be on the console and not require any third party log-in or server or whatever to run. However, it's not more than a minor annoyance. BUT the "you have to go online when you boot the game" part sucks. And so do the error that pops up when you've been logged off from the servers while being in sleep mode. And trying to continue to play the game and get a pop-up every 5 seconds... That was horrible!

Registering the game ONCE is fine.

Having to be online to play a non online game is stupid and shouldn't be allowed.

More so with a game that's so freaking old that's basically ported everywhere.

Imagine if you had to get online to play Super Mario Bros 3, wow that would be quite stupid, thankfully Nintendo would never do that, pardon my sarcasm.

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, a few doubts about those new Doom ports from Bethesda:
  • If there's any kind of DRM inside it, will they implement some kind of encryption into WAD files? Some kind of protection that avoid people to get those files and run Doom with mods, such as GZDoom with Brutal Doom in a Switch?
  • I read someone here mentioning that there's the possibility they pull other Doom versions for various stores (such as Steam, GOG and Google Play) in order to replace those versions for this new one. Is that true? Because that would mean those DRM policies would eventually reach Steam or GOG.
The reason for those questions is because I'm worried that it would impact Doom MOD community. That community is as old as 1997, the year ID Software released Doom's sourcecode, and that resulted in a lot of good stuff made for free by the community:
  1. A massive quantity of new maps made by the community, for a lot of different gameplay styles: Single Player levels with a extra hard difficulty (Plutonia 2, Hell Revealed), Cooperative maps designed for 2~4 people (Eternall Doom, Alien Invasion), and Deathmatch arenas for players who wish only to frag each other in good old deathmatches (Dwango maps, Execution Deathmatches, Gothic DM);
  2. Various source ports, for a lot of different devices, allowing Doom to be natively ported to desktops of any operational system, consoles and portables of any generation, cellphones and smartphones (even old ones withouth touchscreen), and even ATMs and Tesla Cars. And the best: no emulation at all;
  3. Improved source ports that implements a lot of new features absent in the original MS-DOS game, such as: higher resolutions, hardware acceleration through OpenGL / Direct3D (GZDoom), local coop with splitscreen (Doom Legacy, Eternity's BananaSplit Splitscreen Branch), jumping, vertical aiming, and even new game modes such as Invasion, Capture the Flag and even campaign Deathmatch inspired in Quake 3 Arena (Skulltag, Zandronum);
  4. Gameplay mods that, combined with advanced sourceports such as GZDoom or Zandronum, changes a lot of stuff in the original game. Brutal Doom is a example, where they redesigned all weapons in a modern way, increased violence in a way that resembles Hotline Miami, and changed physics of original in order to allow multiple different ways of killing (or being killed by) monsters (there's even God of War-like fatalities). Another example is Real Guns Advanced 2 (RGA2), that replaces original guns for Call of Duty weapons and classes, even adding perks adquired by leveling your character up, and changing some monsters' behaviours in order to make them tougher to beat, thus balancing the game;
  5. Full multiplayer online support with thousands of free servers being hosted by the community, from people of different countries, and for a lot of different game styles (Doomseeker).
Since I discovered some Doom mods in the early 2000's, I've been playing them kinda regularly. Mostly playing online in servers with Brutal Doom, RGA2 or any Invasion map. It's so fun and addictive that it still surprises me that all of that can be extracted for a 25-years old game.

Okay, but what that got to do with all that Bethesta "DRMimg" the good old Doom classic games? Because I'm worried if that would impact negatively the modding community. Just like when Rockstar tried to forbid GTA5 Mods created for fans some years ago. That community is so good to have such a negative treatment by those guys.

Last edited by Solid One,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 all released on modern-day platforms, to the excitement of many, players were shocked to realize that they were forced to use a BethesdaNet account in order to actually play the games. This decision was met with a sizeable amount of backlash, with lots of fans criticizing Bethesda for adding online DRM to a 25-year-old classic game. After the minor controversy, Bethesda is walking back the decision, and is looking into patching all three games to make the login optional, saying it was initially included so that Slayer's Club users could earn points for their account, by playing the games. A fix should be out soon, though if you're really determined to play it without making an account, there's already a workaround on certain platforms.
:arrow: Source
I...don't really understand the news. If you buy the original doom games on steam, you have to log into steam to play it. How is this any different? :unsure:

And of course: you can just buy the three original games on GoG as well. No account needed aside from the actual purchase. Isn't that good enough?

No, the steam and GoG versions aren't official modern releases "for modern-day platforms", but this isn't some obscure software title that ran exclusively on a shady OS of the nineties. This is about the original doom. This is a game that runs on freaking everything!!! B-)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I...don't really understand the news. If you buy the original doom games on steam, you have to log into steam to play it. How is this any different? :unsure:

And of course: you can just buy the three original games on GoG as well. No account needed aside from the actual purchase. Isn't that good enough?

No, the steam and GoG versions aren't official modern releases "for modern-day platforms", but this isn't some obscure software title that ran exclusively on a shady OS of the nineties. This is about the original doom. This is a game that runs on freaking everything!!! B-)

....because it's not the same thing as using steam? It's a dosbox application that can be used offline and separate from Steam. You also can grab the WAD files and use it on the source port of your choosing. Nowhere near the same as requiring a separate account for no justified or explainable reason.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....because it's not the same thing as using steam? It's a dosbox application that can be used offline and separate from Steam. You also can grab the WAD files and use it on the source port of your choosing. Nowhere near the same as requiring a separate account for no justified or explainable reason.

It's just Bethesda being the inept dumbasses they're known to be, trying to cover up their rationale with BS excuses. Nothing new really.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Taleweaver works for Bethesda? :unsure:
If I did, I would know what the difference was, wouldn't I? :P

Look... I've read your previous post three times, but honestly can't tell any real difference. Okay, so my gog version has a dos box running in the background to run the game. If there was a framerate difference, I perhaps would have cared. But the way I see it, you just get the same game with the idea that there's no other layer running underneath. I certainly don't always agree with @the_randomizer, but I really read this as 'we've put in a requireded launcher... And literally nothing else'. So I'm inclined to agree that this is a screw up.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I did, I would know what the difference was, wouldn't I? :P

Look... I've read your previous post three times, but honestly can't tell any real difference. Okay, so my gog version has a dos box running in the background to run the game. If there was a framerate difference, I perhaps would have cared. But the way I see it, you just get the same game with the idea that there's no other layer running underneath. I certainly don't always agree with @the_randomizer, but I really read this as 'we've put in a requireded launcher... And literally nothing else'. So I'm inclined to agree that this is a screw up.

There was literally no reason for them to do it, though. The game is old, the game is a rush job and to force logins is just stupid for 25 year old games, no?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Creamy milk