Tutorial  Updated

Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

This method has been circulating around since yesterday. Presumably, it was discovered on a Chinese forum.

Using this method allows you to stay connected without DNS blocking, and therefore have complete access to Nintendo services.

There are some concerns floating around about this process. So here is a complete guide detailing the process.

Disclaimer:
The following guide tampers with your NAND. Use this with caution or there is a good chance you'll MESS UP your Wii U for good, or even BRICK!

Requirements:

• A Wii U & SD: Firmware and SD size doesn't matter as long as you satisfy the other conditions
  • Mocha Or Haxchi
  • HBL on SD card
  • ftpiiu_everywhere (Haxchi) on SD card
  • Access to HBL: Browserhax, Haxchi/CBHC, or any other form of entry point, are all fine. As long as you access it.
  • A PC with FTP Client: Technically it doesn't have to be a PC. It can even be done on your phone with an FTP Client. I'm using the PC for the simplicity of it. FileZilla IS RECOMMENDED.
  • Optional: Use Nand Dumper to back up your nand with all it's contents, as well as dumping the OTP and SEEPRPOM. By having those, you can unbrick your system with a hardmod at any point. Dumping MLC will require a 64GB SD card if your Wii U is 32GB, or 16GB SD card if your Wii U is 8GB.

1A) Using Haxchi/CBHC:
  1. System Menu: Have Haxchi reboot to System menu.
  2. System Menu: Launch HBL via Haxchi or browser.
  3. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  4. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
1B) Using Mocha:
  1. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser.
  2. HBL: Start Mocha (Using default values are fine)
  3. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser again.
  4. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  5. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
2) Modifying your Nand, and blocking updates:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Locate "update" folder, right-click it and Pick "File Permissions". Make sure it's the same as the screenshot below. If it's not the same, then make note of that. You will need it if you want to enable updates later. If it's the Same, then proceed to the next Step.
    384072-FTPiiU.PNG
  4. PC: Delete “update” folder.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. A few seconds after it starts and the progress bar appears, it should give out this error code: 105-3012. If the progress bar actually continues to move, TURN OFF THE WII U IMMEDIATELY!! Recheck your steps, cause something went wrong.
3) Unblocking updates:

If for whatever reason, you would like to return the Wii U to it's original updating state, start by following "1A)" or "1B)" of the guide, then proceed to the next step of this section:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Right-click, and select "Create Directory". Create “update” folder. Once created, right-click again, and select "File Permissions".
  4. PC: When you originally did section "2)", if your permissions were the same as the screenshot in that section, enter those same permissions here. If not, then you should have noted them down somewhere. Enter those values instead, then click ok.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. It should proceed to update normally.
Credits:
@fejich for being the first to notify us about a Chinese website doing this method in this thread
@Shaoxudong for translating the process, and testing it.

Last edited by Madridi,

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you delete that \update folder are games updates still working ? If so what is game updates downloading folder ?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
If you delete that \update folder are games updates still working ? If so what is game updates downloading folder ?
Yes it does. I updated super smash earlier. Not sure if it's exact directory but I'm guessing it's per game, not one for all games

Reactions: asper

SaitoErik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Hi, I have a question, if I do this tutorial in order to download brain age to install Haxchi, when I get Haxchi can I update the console to the last version normally? Or once I use NNU patcher or delete the update folder I cannot upgrade normally anymore?? Thanks for your help :)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a question, if I do this tutorial in order to download brain age to install Haxchi, when I get Haxchi can I update the console to the last version normally? Or once I use NNU patcher or delete the update folder I cannot upgrade normally anymore?? Thanks for your help :)
Once you delete the updates folder from your NAND using this method, you cannot update anymore. Neither automatically or manually. But you can recreate the updates folder anytime so if you ever wanted to update purposely, you can do that.

If you're on 5.5.1, you'll need to launch NNU Patcher for Eshop access and game updates, even if you disable DNS. Just a heads up

Reactions: SaitoErik

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does the numeric value matter or should i Use the one from the screenshot? I ask because I didn't even notice the number before I deleted the update folder. :(

SaitoErik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Once you delete the updates folder from your NAND using this method, you cannot update anymore. Neither automatically or manually. But you can recreate the updates folder anytime so if you ever wanted to update purposely, you can do that.

If you're on 5.5.1, you'll need to launch NNU Patcher for Eshop access and game updates, even if you disable DNS. Just a heads up
OK thanks :D but I don´t understand, you said that "neither automatically o manually" but then you said the I can recreate the updates folder to update purposely, is this not same as "manually"? But in the case that I can update purposely, have you seen a tutorial to update in this form? Thank you very much for the help :)

AliasGprime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
does the numeric value matter or should i Use the one from the screenshot? I ask because I didn't even notice the number before I deleted the update folder. :(

The numeric value represent, in a numeral way, which cases are checked. Just for an exemple, "777" would be all checkboxes been checked. It is gona be "755" for everyone.

Thanks for this tutorial though, I highly prefer this method rather than the DNS one. I prefer not depending on anybody and any third party services for my own console. DSWare Haxchi (without CBHC), 5.5.2 spoofed, update disable (FTP Method). Will probably stay like this for a long time since technically there gone be no actual needs to update anymore.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK thanks :D but I don´t understand, you said that "neither automatically o manually" but then you said the I can recreate the updates folder to update purposely, is this not same as "manually"? But in the case that I can update purposely, have you seen a tutorial to update in this form? Thank you very much for the help :)

what he means is that u can't update silently or by manually trying to update (i.e. going to the eshop or selecting update in system settings). yeah, recreating the folder allows u to update again in either way again.

Reactions: SaitoErik

SaitoErik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
what he means is that u can't update silently or by manually trying to update (i.e. going to the eshop or selecting update in system settings). yeah, recreating the folder allows u to update again in either way again.
ahh ok, I understand, thank you
for your help

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The numeric value represent, in a numeral way, which cases are checked. Just for an exemple, "777" would be all checkboxes been checked. It is gona be "755" for everyone.

Thanks for this tutorial though, I highly prefer this method rather than the DNS one. I prefer not depending on anybody and any third party services for my own console. DSWare Haxchi (without CBHC), 5.5.2 spoofed, update disable (FTP Method). Will probably stay like this for a long time since technically there gone be no actual needs to update anymore.
You spoofed your firmware huh, does that allow you to access Eshop or download game updates without NNU Patcher while on 5.5.1 spoofed?
In other words, what does spoofing do for you? Just curious

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're welcome. from what I've read, updates rely on that folder being present otherwise it has no where else to download an update to resulting in failure.

AliasGprime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You spoofed your firmware huh, does that allow you to access Eshop or download game updates without NNU Patcher while on 5.5.1 spoofed?
In other words, what does spoofing do for you? Just curious

No it doesn't let me use the eshop without NNU Patcher, but it should let me play online game without updating. Actually If you run Haxchi or Mocha they already spoof your version (to 99.99.99 or something like that) which allow you to play online, so you don't need it. But the spoofing method let me play online without necessary launching Haxchi, since I don't have CHBC installed. eShop still need NNU though.

EDIT for clarity : As I've understand (sorry if I'm wrong, correct me if needed) NNU patcher patch the eshop access which spoof won't trick (game update along with it since game update goes with the eshop). Online gaming though seem to just read the version console number and a spoof let the online play working.

If I'm wrong, sorry about that, I tend to be a speed learner but I'm on this since yesterday only :P

Last edited by AliasGprime,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think either is fine. it's not like the fakeanim with the 360 where it's recommended that u rename the bootanim.xex file to something else rather than deleting it.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think either is fine. it's not like the fakeanim with the 360 where it's recommended that u rename the bootanim.xex file to something else rather than deleting it.
The OP stated that renaming doesn't work, however it is working for me. The renamed folder sticks.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
No it doesn't let me use the eshop without NNU Patcher, but it should let me play online game without updating. Actually If you run Haxchi or Mocha they already spoof your version (to 99.99.99 or something like that) which allow you to play online, so you don't need it. But the spoofing method let me play online without necessary launching Haxchi, since I don't have CHBC installed. eShop still need NNU though.

EDIT for clarity : As I've understand (sorry if I'm wrong, correct me if needed) NNU patcher patch the eshop access which spoof won't trick (game update along with it since game update goes with the eshop). Online gaming though seem to just read the version console number and a spoof let the online play working.

If I'm wrong, sorry about that, I tend to be a speed learner but I'm on this since yesterday only :P
You could still play online without spoofing or launching haxchi/mocha.. spoofing does nothing at all.

The OP stated that renaming doesn't work, however it is working for me. The renamed folder sticks.
Huh, that's weird. It didn't work for anyone else, so I wonder why it worked for you?
What's your ftp client? Maybe that's worth looking into.

Reactions: AliasGprime

SaitoErik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
After I deleted the update folder, I went to system settings to see If get the error code, but instead of the one that the tutorial says I Get this one error 105-4206 ://. Can someone help please?

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
After I deleted the update folder, I went to system settings to see If get the error code, but instead of the one that the tutorial says I Get this one error 105-4206 ://. Can someone help please?
With every error there is a description. What does your say?

SaitoErik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
With every error there is a description. What does your say?
it says that its imposible to make a connection with the server. I checked and the update has not dissapeared so Brain age cannot download. I cheked if I deleted the folder correctly and yes, the update folder was erased

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv