Bloomberg reports tech details of 4K Nintendo Switch model, release window and pricing

Nintendo_Switch_logo,_horizontal.png

After rumors about Sony shutting down the digital store of some of its older platforms, new rumors emerged today, but this time about Nintendo's upgraded Switch. According to a new report from Bloomberg, according to "people familiar with the matter", the rumored Switch Pro will use "an upgraded Nvidia chip with better graphics and processing". This chipset will provide the new Switch model with better CPU and increased memory. It will also support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) which uses A.I. to efficiently deliver higher-fidelity graphics.

The report notes that since DLSS support requires new code to be added to games, this feature will be mainly used to enhance the graphics of upcoming titles. This information comes from the aforementioned sources and "multiple game developers".

This new Switch upgrade will apparently also feature an upgraded 7-inch OLED display from Samsung. The new NVIDIA chip will also reportedly "reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV".

Bloomberg also mentions that this new Switch model is planned to release for the end of year shopping season, with analysts tipping the price tag at $400.

Again, we should take these news with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's sources "asked not to be identified because the plan is not public". But rumors around a Switch Pro model have been circulating for a while now. Would you buy one with these specs at this price at the end of this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd buy one, as long as it doesn't exceed $400.

People don't understand how bonkers DLSS actually is. The Switch absolutely needs DLSS if they want to get anywhere near 4K. Also, there's a higher chance that the "Pro" edition will have some kind of exploit that Mariko doesn't have.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So many people going "DLSS this" "DLSS that" do any of you even understand what you're saying? As far as I am aware, NVIDIA doesn't make ANY SoC's with tensor cores in them. Maybe they do, maybe they will or are working on it, but here's the thing: DLSS is something that has to be ADDED to existing games meaning they will require an update. Guess what is not going to happen? Just because a new SoC might have the technology doesn't mean that it's going to work with everything out of the box.
Wait, you mean my games programmed to be 720p or 900p aren't gonna automatically be super sampled to 4K?

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: Kioku

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they come with a good name for this new model if it ever releases though...
If they're smart it will be some sort of number name to keep the door open for more Switch models in the future. Do the smart phone thing with a pointless letter before the number: Switch N2. We can say N is short for Nintendo or whatever, and there can still be an N3 later on.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This time the console will be double patched and thus no way to hack it ever, ever ever ever.

Or the designers somehow mess up and open way to exploit with all the new hardware and software revision. Stranger thing happens all the time.

I hope they come with a good name for this new model if it ever releases though...
Nintendo Swiitch :unsure:

Last edited by tivu100,

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ahh bloomberg. back at it again with their yearly nintendo switch rumours. oh wait last year it was New York Times.

How dare Nintendo lie to us saying "we have no plans to make or release a Switch anytime soon". But Bloomberg have reports that it is coming HOLIDAY 2021!!!

Last edited by altorn,
Reactions: RedBlueGreen

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So many people going "DLSS this" "DLSS that" do any of you even understand what you're saying? As far as I am aware, NVIDIA doesn't make ANY SoC's with tensor cores in them. Maybe they do, maybe they will or are working on it, but here's the thing: DLSS is something that has to be ADDED to existing games meaning they will require an update. Guess what is not going to happen? Just because a new SoC might have the technology doesn't mean that it's going to work with everything out of the box.
if you readed the article they did say that the 4k thing needs to be coded in for games and wont work our of the box...

Also could be nvidia trying a new chip method to make dlss more mainstream and such, who knows they want to make it some sort of poc with the switch line, afaik i think they said tegra chips will end production in 2021 so if they ever make more switch models they will use some other chipset.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sounds like it's all about that dlss. dlss is an ai-powered upscaler technique, taking the 1080p or 720p output and artificially making it 4k. no upscale and games will run the same on old hardware. the nvidia shield (same base chip that's in the switch) uses it and it's...okay. like, it's good, but you notice it on some content more than others.

if you readed the article they did say that the 4k thing needs to be coded in for games and wont work our of the box...

Also could be nvidia trying a new chip method to make dlss more mainstream and such, who knows they want to make it some sort of poc with the switch line, afaik i think they said tegra chips will end production in 2021 so if they ever make more switch models they will use some other chipset.
yeah, those chips are 3 generations behind now? here's hoping there's more to this than just adding ai-upscaler support

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Kioku

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Stop, you'd had me at "increased memory". :wub:

But being the stingy cheap-asses that nintendo are, I bet they just add another 2GB chip to the mix instead of a full 4 extra GB.

Last edited by Jayro,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, what I'd love is a Switch that offers glasses-free 3D in handheld mode, and for released games to then get patches to play in 3D, playing BOTW like that sounds amazing. But I suspect that glasses-free 3D died for Nintendo along with the 3DS. Still I can dream, even if I know that it's completely unrealistic.

Reactions: Deleted User

Intragroove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from better graphics and performance, these are the most important things I'd like to see in the Switch Pro:
  • Charging port moved to the top
  • Can connect to bluetooth earbuds with low latency. Chat supported as well.
  • More comfortable joycons.
  • No stick drift.
  • Larger internal storage capacity.
There might be others, but this is what sticks out right now.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Aside from better graphics and performance, these are the most important things I'd like to see in the Switch Pro:
  • Charging port moved to the top
  • Can connect to bluetooth earbuds with low latency. Chat supported as well.
  • More comfortable joycons.
  • No stick drift.
  • Larger internal storage capacity.
There might be others, but this is what sticks out right now.
Charging port on the top... So you'd have to dock it upside-down then..? Seems a bit... dumb. I want larger joycons for adult hands. full-sized joysticks like the Pro Controller has. A d-pad by default on the left one. Better Triggers, more like the Pro Controller. and the joycons should have curved ergonomics to them to look and FEEL like a controller thats comfy to hold.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Charging port on the top... So you'd have to dock it upside-down then..? Seems a bit... dumb. I want larger joycons for adult hands. full-sized joysticks like the Pro Controller has. A d-pad by default on the left one. Better Triggers, more like the Pro Controller. and the joycons should have curved ergonomics to them to look and FEEL like a controller thats comfy to hold.
Could do dual ports. Like some "gaming" phones.

Reactions: Intragroove

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
they're just throwing shit at the ceilling hoping one of em will stick at this point... next switch having dlss is just an obvious guess.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
they're just throwing shit at the ceilling hoping one of em will stick at this point... next switch having dlss is just an obvious guess.
But it's not to make games look better, just to upscale the 1080p image to a fake "4K".

Intragroove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If it's docked and connected to my tv, I really don't care if it's upside-down or not. I mostly play handheld while it's plugged in, and it's slightly annoying to deal with the cable sticking out toward you. It's not as easy to rest it on a flat surface when playing for example. Maybe I'm in the minority, but this is something I'd like to see.

I agree that the joycons need a complete design overhaul to be more ergonomic. Yes to the d-pad, joysticks, and triggers as well.

Last edited by Intragroove,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many rumors... It must be true. So what's it gonna be?

Food for thought: Maybe it's not going to be called Nintendo Switch. Maybe it's not a Switch console at all, but something even better and more powerful. Maybe it'll even support 3DS cartridges and feature 3D stereoscopic technology. Maybe it can even interact with the Wii U and Switch!

Then again, maybe my dreams have gotten so big, I'm gearing up for a terrible disappointment, and I won't like the new device at all. :wacko:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So many rumors... It must be true. So what's it gonna be?

Food for thought: Maybe it's not going to be called Nintendo Switch. Maybe it's not a Switch console at all, but something even better and more powerful. Maybe it'll even support 3DS cartridges and feature 3D stereoscopic technology. Maybe it can even interact with the Wii U and Switch!

Then again, maybe my dreams have gotten so big, I'm gearing up for a terrible disappointment, and I won't like the new device at all. :wacko:
I've heard rumors that it might not be called the Switch Pro, but the Super Switch... Which not only sounds like a "pro gamer move" by Nintendo, but also a throwback to the Super Nintendo.

If it's docked and connected to my tv, I really don't care if it's upside-down or not. I mostly play handheld while it's plugged in, and it's slightly annoying to deal with the cable sticking out toward you. It's not as easy to rest it on a flat surface when playing for example. Maybe I'm in the minority, but this is something I'd like to see.
I've got one of these, and it solves that issue right up, along with adjustable viewing angles. Worth the $20 to me, as I mostly play tabletop with my Pro Controller.

c8bc3b32-28e5-4405-9f3b-4d262afcb097_1.08b7c02802979131a135e6978d42888d.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of keyboards and mice. It just stays put.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    tldr usb > bluetooth imo
    +2
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    ive never had luck with built in bt transmitters. They're always in the back of the pc and signal is super crummy vs a usb bt dongle in the front of the pc,
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: ive never had luck with built in bt transmitters. They're always in the back of the pc and...