Bloomberg reports tech details of 4K Nintendo Switch model, release window and pricing

Nintendo_Switch_logo,_horizontal.png

After rumors about Sony shutting down the digital store of some of its older platforms, new rumors emerged today, but this time about Nintendo's upgraded Switch. According to a new report from Bloomberg, according to "people familiar with the matter", the rumored Switch Pro will use "an upgraded Nvidia chip with better graphics and processing". This chipset will provide the new Switch model with better CPU and increased memory. It will also support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) which uses A.I. to efficiently deliver higher-fidelity graphics.

The report notes that since DLSS support requires new code to be added to games, this feature will be mainly used to enhance the graphics of upcoming titles. This information comes from the aforementioned sources and "multiple game developers".

This new Switch upgrade will apparently also feature an upgraded 7-inch OLED display from Samsung. The new NVIDIA chip will also reportedly "reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV".

Bloomberg also mentions that this new Switch model is planned to release for the end of year shopping season, with analysts tipping the price tag at $400.

Again, we should take these news with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's sources "asked not to be identified because the plan is not public". But rumors around a Switch Pro model have been circulating for a while now. Would you buy one with these specs at this price at the end of this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what people forget about DLSS is that the game has to be able to run at the lower resolutions before you try to upscale it. The current switch can only do 720p at best with third party games. I am finding it hard to believe they will put a laptop grade GPU into a small handheld, especially at a very much smaller price point. If DLSS were to be true, it's gonna be on a docked only switch

It also needs Tensor Cores, and I doubt they'd put an RTX GPU in a Switch, specially if they want to move those units, since it can't be much more expensive than the base console.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch was born old, was already using old tech the day it launch. Nintendo has never use the latest technology.
All consoles will always be 2-4 years behind of the current Technology. Everything about the console is built around it's hardware so its hard to wait till the last second to implement it. That said, Nintendo is the cheapest of the big three and doesn't care about performance

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still calling bullshit on it having DLSS.

Like @SciresM said, I think it will be using that Mediatek chip somehow - and I personally think it will use it in a dock that will upscale using the AI upscaling that the Shield TV has, but not DLSS.

It doesn't make sense to completely change the SoC of the Switch for a pro version that will be eclipsed by the Switch 2.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see the Switch running games at 4K.

Probably because the Switch can't? Are you aware this article is speaking about rumors of a NEW Switch? Do you know what DLSS is? ;)

I'd bite on an updated Switch, but ONLY if it offered the option in some games to play at 4K 30fps or 1080p 60fps. It just being "4K" alone is not enough for me as I can barely tell the difference anyway with my aged eyes and glasses, and imo HDR10(+) and Dolby Vision have far more to do with 4K looking great than the actual resolution.

Arck

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still calling bullshit on it having DLSS.

Like @SciresM said, I think it will be using that Mediatek chip somehow - and I personally think it will use it in a dock that will upscale using the AI upscaling that the Shield TV has, but not DLSS.

It doesn't make sense to completely change the SoC of the Switch for a pro version that will be eclipsed by the Switch 2.
If the mid-gen upgrade has DLSS then a Switch 2 will most likely have ray-tracing support + much better specs, which should be more than enough for an upgrade

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I think you'll get a second soc in the dock. This will either create dual screen gaming (nintendo never gives up on ideas) or a dual console value proposition (two discrete consoles, TV and handheld, not a hybrid).

Any increase in visuals will be incremental and nothing to write home about. Nintendo is not a tech company.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the mid-gen upgrade has DLSS then a Switch 2 will most likely have ray-tracing support + much better specs, which should be more than enough for an upgrade

I don't think we can assume RT cores, Tensor would be expensive enough and we are dealing with a small, low-powered setup that can't afford stuff that barely improves IQ.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
better chip? i doubt it. its probably just going to be set at 2.6ghz instead of the 1.0ghz bs
and we already know its a mariko so it doesn't really mean better soc, i feel its just going to be fully overclocked and with faster and more ram
(well more like fully uncapped ram, tf is locking 1.6 when 2.1 is possible)

Last edited by Anxiety_timmy,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
better chip? i doubt it. its probably just going to be set at 2.6ghz instead of the 1.0ghz bs
and we already know its a mariko so it doesn't really mean better soc, i feel its just going to be fully overclocked and with faster and more ram
(well more like fully uncapped ram, tf is locking 1.6 when 2.1 is possible)
Fun meme, at this moment in time all clocks are unchanged.
Could still change before release, they still have 2-4 months probably, but lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof