• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Blue State coalition (CA) banning energy inefficient gaming PCs

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait until clean energy and resources are so widespread, that you will essentially be paid to be even remotely energy and environmentally friendly.

Reactions: Xzi

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My conscience is very clear, I feel no guilt. I pay kaching to the electric company, the electric company gives me the magical electrical pixies that make things go brr. How they make'em is up to them, they can be as green as you want them to be, I'm going to use my energy, that I paid for, however I want. Besides, I can't throw a rock in this country without hitting a windmill - we're good.
Getting serious for a moment, just because a person can do something doesn't mean they should do it. I could leave my faucet running 24 hours a day just because I like the sound of it, and that's generally permissable (with exceptions) as long as I'm paying my water bill. That doesn't mean I should do it.

Climate change is happening regardless of whether or not people are paying their electricity bills. While the solutions to climate change are going to need to be systemic, a person should consider limiting their carbon footprint by cutting back on electricity usage and making sure their devices are reasonably energy efficient. I'm not arguing people shouldn't have beefy gaming PC's, but it should be within reason.

Some areas are more green than others with regard to electricity production. For anyone who lives in the United States, I'd recommend a site like the one below to see where your electricity comes from. My state (Missouri) is one of the worst, which is one of the reasons why I decided to get my solar panels before getting an electric vehicle. The purpose of this site is to compare the CO2 emissions of producing electricity for an EV to the CO2 emissions of using a gas-powered car. In a state like West Virginia, for example, it's only about a 20% reduction in CO2 by driving an EV, since the vast majority of the electricity in the state comes from burning coal.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

Reactions: Dakitten and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Getting serious for a moment, just because a person can do something doesn't mean they should do it. I could leave my faucet running 24 hours a day just because I like the sound of it, and that's generally permissable (with exceptions) as long as I'm paying my water bill. That doesn't mean I should do it.

Climate change is happening regardless of whether or not people are paying their electricity bills. While the solutions to climate change are going to need to be systemic, a person should consider limiting their carbon footprint by cutting back on electricity usage and making sure their devices are reasonably energy efficient. I'm not arguing people shouldn't have beefy gaming PC's, but it should be within reason.

Some areas are more green than others with regard to electricity production. For anyone who lives in the United States, I'd recommend a site like the one below to see where your electricity comes from. My state (Missouri) is one of the worst, which is one of the reasons why I decided to get my solar panels before getting an electric vehicle. The purpose of this site is to compare the CO2 emissions of producing electricity for an EV to the CO2 emissions of using a gas-powered car. In a state like West Virginia, for example, it's only about a 20% reduction in CO2 by driving an EV, since the vast majority of the electricity in the state comes from burning coal.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html
I will also get serious with you for a moment. I'm 110% percent doing this, and more. Building odd builds, particularly with odd cooling systems, is and always has been a passion for me - I like my projects. On the bright side the inclusion of a compressor as opposed to solid state cooling reduced the power consumption by a kilowatt and improved cooling capacity by about 400 Watt, so... Technically efficiency has improved. Trust me, this build is more environmentally friendly than my old build that was suspended in around 5 liters of transformer oil.

Reactions: Dakitten and Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu