Hardware Bought new Joycon cases, now I have a problem.

beechteeth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought some new Joycon cases on Amazon. I watched a few disassembly videos, took my Joycons apart, and got them back together. The first one I started on was the right one. I wasn't sure if I could move all the pieces still connected, so I detached every ribbon I could find, so it was a near-complete teardown. I managed to get all the pieces back together and connected in the new case. The Joycon turned on and connected wirelessly to the Switch, so I moved on to the left one. That was much easier, as I knew what I could remove and what could stay so there would be fewer problems (and not to disconnect any ribbons!). It also turned on and connected wirelessly to the Switch properly.

Then today, I went to play in handheld mode. For some reason, the right Joycon wasn't communicating with the Switch in handheld mode. The left one works fine. I took the right one apart and double-checked all the ribbons were connected. I cleaned both sets of pins. What's odd is that, when I connect the right Joycon to the Switch, I get the little animation and sound effect that happens when you connect a Joycon, so the Switch is detecting it. If I interact with the right Joycon in handheld mode, it will very briefly turn on and connect wirelessly, then it somehow detects it is in the Switch itself and I'm back at square one. I made sure every button works properly, every screw is in right, everything looks right.

I'm not sure what the problem is at this point. I can try to replace the slider, but I am not sure if that's the problem since the Switch is still detecting that a Joycon is there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should also mention the right Joycon does receive a charge when connected to the Switch. It charges, plays the animation when connected, but still does not give any other indication that the Joycon is connected.

Edit 2: I also just realized pressing the Sync button does not work. The two problems could possibly be related.

Edit 3: SL + SR also don't work, even when connected to a Joycon strap. The light indicating it's on and which player it is works though.

Last edited by beechteeth,

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The problem could be unrelated to the mod. I had similar issues when I was playing Super Mario Odyssey with everything legit and no mods. Unmodded Switch console, original joy cons, original cartridge.

Try clearing out all the paired controllers in settings and then connect them again.

beechteeth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem could be unrelated to the mod. I had similar issues when I was playing Super Mario Odyssey with everything legit and no mods. Unmodded Switch console, original joy cons, original cartridge.

Try clearing out all the paired controllers in settings and then connect them again.
I tried that, but that didn't work. I appreciate the help though. Any other ideas?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Err...is the same thing happening with another right joycon on this Switch? Or what if you try this joycon on another Switch?

Trying both of the above combinations might give a clue to whether the problem lies in the Switch or in the joycon. Maybe there's some dust in your Switch rail (not on the joycon slider).

beechteeth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dusted the Switch rail and the Joycon. I haven't tried connecting it to another Switch because I don't have one readily available unfortunately. I do have a friend who owns a Switch I might be able to borrow, so I might be able to try it, but he is often busy and unavailable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer