ROM Hack Boxboy level editing

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
finished box boy so i decided to have a look at its level format and it *seems* to be pretty simple stuff, not looked too much into it, and not being a programmer i was wondering if anyone had looked at it, managed to make some pretty simple edits manually, like changing spikes for normal conveyor belts or removing them completely, you can also change the number of blocks you can make, max seems to be around 25, if you go crazy and set it to like 100 the game will just crash opening the level, but for anyone interested the levels use LZ11 compression and if you want to change the number of boxes you can make on the level you can either edit the compressed level at 0x2A to whatever number you want, or if the level is uncompressed its at 0x2C

in regards to the level design editing i haven't really looked too much into it but these are a few of the values i found, some of the *nothing*'s or "blank tiles" might actually be something but require something else for it to work, but it seems to have different layers...as i said i only had a quick mess about manually editing stuff, but if it helps anyone else here is stuff i tested
boxboy
(dec)0x2C (comp)0x2A level # block limit

Map block values (conveyors layer?)
00= *Nothing*
01= Invisible Flat Block
02= Invisible Death Block
03-06= Invisible Flat Block
07= *nothing*
08-0F Invisible Flat Block
10-19 *nothing*
1A= Invisible Flat Block
1B= Invisible Flat Block
1C= Flat Conveyor Belt, Super Slow Left
1D= Flat Conveyor Belt, Super Slow Right
1E= Flat Conveyor Belt, Slow Left
1F= Flat Conveyor Belt, Slow right
20= Flat Conveyor Belt, Fast Left
21= Flat Conveyor Belt, Fast right
22= Flat Conveyor Belt, Super Fast Left
23= Flat Conveyor Belt, Super Fast Right
24= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Super Slow Left
25= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Super Slow Right
26= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Slow Left
27= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Slow Right
28= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Fast Left
29= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Fast Right
2A= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Super Fast Left
2B= Spiky Conveyor Belt, Super Fast Right
2C+ = invisible block/crash

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:lol: I was thinking about this too, got distracted before I got any further than decompressing a level tho. Good work poking around, hope it will inspire me to have another look. It would be nice to end up with a full level editor, but I guess that's a way off.

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
:lol: I was thinking about this too, got distracted before I got any further than decompressing a level tho. Good work poking around, hope it will inspire me to have another look. It would be nice to end up with a full level editor, but I guess that's a way off.
Yeah the level layout seems pretty simple and tbh the game is fairly simple in design so I doubt a fully featured level editor would be that far fetched......just depends if anyone with the programming ability takes a look

xrbb

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I thought about trying this but then I was paying more attention to more exciting thing because here i'd have to test and test and test...
Btw. Do you still offer "Hardmod-Service"? If yes, are you free atm?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la