• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Boy Scouts will now allow girls to join.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gonna toss out there that Girl Scouts have accepted boys within the scouts for years and no one batted an eyelash.

Um, could you provide some examples of this? AFAIK, the official position is to accept biological boys who identify as girls, but only on a case-by-base basis and as accepted by the troop. That's certainly what their FAQ seems to state. They seem to make it quite clear the intent of the Girl Scouts is to provide a emotional and physical safe place for girls.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, could you provide some examples of this? AFAIK, the official position is to accept biological boys who identify as girls, but only on a case-by-base basis and as accepted by the troop. That's certainly what their FAQ seems to state. They seem to make it quite clear the intent of the Girl Scouts is to provide a emotional and physical safe place for girls.
I'm gonna guess personal experience, but when I was searching around I found this gem: http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...welcome-cross-dressing-boys-into-their-ranks/

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It could have just been a few local troops because I know it wasn't uncommon in my hometown. I will have to accually look deeper into this because I had believed it was something all troops did. If I am wrong, then it is what it is.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could have just been a few local troops because I know it wasn't uncommon in my hometown. I will have to accually look deeper into this because I had believed it was something all troops did. If I am wrong, then it is what it is.
I'm guessing it was just local, because I'm not finding anything. That doesn't take away from what you said, though, at least in my eyes

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm guessing it was just local, because I'm not finding anything. That doesn't take away from what you said, though, at least in my eyes
Things like these weren't uncommon in my hometown or even in my home state of Massachusetts. So chances are high that some local groups of scouts opperate differently from others, but I digress

Last edited by The Catboy,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If the only difference between the two organizations was the admission criteria, this would be a valid point. However since it seems that the Boy Scouts focus on actual scouting, hiking, camping, trekking, wilderness skills, orientation, map reading and so on, while the Girl Scouts focus on selling cookies, they are not valid alternatives to each other. People complain that girls are not allowed into the only actual youth scouts organization in the US and that the only "alternative" they're offered is basically a pyramid scheme and may as well be called "Amy's Baking Company" and drop the "scout" pretense altogether. And the "Girl Scouts" are criticizing this decision because it will cost them revenue, nothing else.

Yeah, let's segregate schools too. Letting boys interact with girls is a terrible idea.
Then improve the Girl Scouts so there no need for girls to go to Boy Scouts. That’s a problem with Girl Scouts.

And the Girl Scouts were saying they believe in a single gender environment, they don’t want the two to mix.

And anyways isn’t selling things a useful skill for girls to learn. People complain that their aren’t enough girls in business. So this is good practice for them.

And the Girl Scouts isn’t a complete waste. They come out more energy conservation minded. It teaches them useful skills to save.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-girl-scouts-energy-conservation-20160711-snap-story.html?outputType=amp

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then improve the Girl Scouts so there no need for girls to go to Boy Scouts. That’s a problem with Girl Scouts.

And the Girl Scouts were saying they believe in a single gender environment, they don’t want the two to mix.

And anyways isn’t selling things a useful skill for girls to learn. People complain that their aren’t enough girls in business. So this is good practice for them.

And the Girl Scouts isn’t a complete waste. They come out more energy conservation minded. It teaches them useful skills to save.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-girl-scouts-energy-conservation-20160711-snap-story.html?outputType=amp
So now girls have a choice as to what organization they want to join?...

I still fail to see why that's a bad thing

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, let's segregate schools too. Letting boys interact with girls is a terrible idea.

In schools the children are monitored by teachers and staff along the whole day and kids still find ways to do their thing. In the scouts they spend a lot of time alone, sleep together and are unsupervised a lot. Maybe not the younger scouts, but the ages I'm talking about require constant supervision otherwise there will be sexual harassment and other ill deeds happening. Even if you try to teach the kids not to do such things; they are kids. They will find a way.

Reactions: DarthDub

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will have to accually look deeper into this because I had believed it was something all troops did. If I am wrong, then it is what it is.

I'm not trying to be negative about it. It's just, if I had wanted to join the Girl Scouts as a child, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have included me. At best, maybe they would have allowed me to tag along as an unofficial member, presuming I had an older sister or Girl Scout member that would vouch for me? Making special exceptions and unofficial members really aren't the same thing.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In schools the children are monitored by teachers and staff along the whole day and kids still find ways to do their thing. In the scouts they spend a lot of time alone, sleep together and are unsupervised a lot. Maybe not the younger scouts, but the ages I'm talking about require constant supervision otherwise there will be sexual harassment and other ill deeds happening. Even if you try to teach the kids not to do such things; they are kids. They will find a way.
You didn’t read the article, did you.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In sweden we have allowed females and males to be socuts together for a while. The Female Scouts and The Male Scouts joined forces pretty early. They close the joint organisation in 2016 since religion isn't a big part in Sweden anymore and they want to welcome everyone. All of the Swedish scouts today are under the generic term "Scouterna" that means "The scouts". So what's the big dealio?

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Again like I said why do they need to join the Boy Scouts if they improve the Girl Scouts to expand options for girls.
Why don't they do what any sane country does and make Scouts... Scouts.
Either let Boy Scouts be Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts be Girl Scouts, or just be Scouts.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
inb4 the word boycott is changed to personcott, but yeah for all the praising of "diversity" there seems to be a concerted effort to do away with as many differences as possible to turn people into one homogeneous collective and prune any sort of "boyish" behaviour or activity while swooning over femininity

personally I can understand if a girl wants to be a bit of a tomboy them being allowed to join activities that appeal to them, and if a boy wants to act more typically feminine they could join a group that promotes and encourages those aspects, it seems more like these moves end up turning everything into the lowest common denominator to try fit everyone, effectively making a more watered down, and less tailored for peoples interests

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not trying to be negative about it. It's just, if I had wanted to join the Girl Scouts as a child, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have included me. At best, maybe they would have allowed me to tag along as an unofficial member, presuming I had an older sister or Girl Scout member that would vouch for me? Making special exceptions and unofficial members really aren't the same thing.
Oh I don't take your comment as something negative or anything personal. I personally prefer something questionable be questioned and I will adjust if new information is shown to me.
I wonder how many groups actually allow that?

Last edited by The Catboy,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If the boyscouts are boycotting the name change then they obviously don’t want girls to join. So why join a group that doesn’t want you in it?

You have your own group already so improve that group instead. Learn about team work to improve your own group instead of ditching them.

There’s a reason boys don’t want girls to join is so they can have the freedom to act like boys. Put girls into the mix now boys will have to change their behavior or else they will complain about sexism.

If your around guys then you’ll know boys says and does a lot of things girls won’t like. They insult each other and make jokes about each other. This is a bonding thing that guys do. And something they do to test the waters to see who can take a joke, and who’s cool or not. And they also say dirty sexual things girls don’t want to hear. Gives boys their space to be free to act like themselves.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If the boyscouts are boycotting the name change then they obviously don’t want girls to join. So why join a group that doesn’t want you in it?

You have your own group already so improve that group instead. Learn about team work to improve your own group instead of ditching them.

There’s a reason boys don’t want girls to join is so they can have the freedom to act like boys. Put girls into the mix now boys will have to change their behavior or else they will complain about sexism.

If your around guys then you’ll know boys says and does a lot of things girls won’t like. They insult each other and make jokes about each other. This is a bonding thing that guys do. And something they do to test the waters to see who can take a joke, and who’s cool or not. And they also say dirty sexual things girls don’t want to hear. Gives boys their space to be free to act like themselves.
yeah unfortunately having girls around when boys are teenagers brings up other issues (besides potential sexual stuff, although its kinda connected), then you get boys starting to compete for attention and bullying/fighting with each other for that attention, my cousin was in a boyscouts style group, he used to have a blast every few months they went camping and stuff, eventually they went all gender inclusive and it devolved into a shit show with boys bravado causing a negative atmosphere, he ended up fighting with his best friend over dumb shit and quit going, last I heard the group was going to stop going camping as attendance dropped

personally if girls really want this stuff then maybe the girlscouts should make more of an effort to meet the demand instead of just ramming pieces together and hoping it all works out ok

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly just download movies on my phone put them on my card reader then on my tv so much better than wireless transfer bs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/VAfy26xs6e0?si=EuGdWe_Y25-rfmms accurate