• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Boy Scouts will now allow girls to join.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Once again people are flippin' out over silly wee things. Just suck it up buttercup. I've always found it somewhat sad that boy scouts have such a link to religion that they kick people out for their love interest. I understand boy scouts are boy scouts but why quit over such a minor thing?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4182221/boy-scouts-name-change/

And I should say I just brought the LGBT thing up since it happened awhile ago. I forgot to clarify.

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
The name change is certainly bizarre. They go from "Boy Scouts of America" to "Scouts BSA." BSA, if course, stands for "Boy Scouts of America." So... if the name is supposed to be more inclusive... why add "BSA" to the end of it anyways? It reeks of a committee decision pitting the traditionalists against the side that wants to go gender-neutral. I'd say either stick with "Boy Scouts of America" or fully commit to a change, not this awkward "Scouts BSA" thang. I'd venture a guess and say that the people who are boycotting now are of the same faction that appended that "BSA" to the end of the new name?

First I'm hearing about the LGBT thing, though. You can make a case for keeping the Boy Scouts boys-only, but there's never a case for discriminating based on love interest.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huh, I don't see anything related to LGBT here. People have been able to be gay since 2013 in the scouts. Research a bit before you post. Everyone just loves to bash the boy scouts proud Eagle Scout here.

Reactions: Hanafuda

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Why is the Girl Scouts still intact and exclusively for girls but the Boy Scouts now has to include girls. Why?

So people complain that girls are not allowed in the Boy Scouts. Umm... the Boy Scouts. So they change the Boy Scouts to BSA and allow girls in.

Now there are people against this decision. Even the Girl Scouts are criticizing the Boy Scouts for this stupid decision.

D

Deleted User

The name change is certainly bizarre. They go from "Boy Scouts of America" to "Scouts BSA." BSA, if course, stands for "Boy Scouts of America." So... if the name is supposed to be more inclusive... why add "BSA" to the end of it anyways? It reeks of a committee decision pitting the traditionalists against the side that wants to go gender-neutral. I'd say either stick with "Boy Scouts of America" or fully commit to a change, not this awkward "Scouts BSA" thang. I'd venture a guess and say that the people who are boycotting now are of the same faction that appended that "BSA" to the end of the new name?

First I'm hearing about the LGBT thing, though. You can make a case for keeping the Boy Scouts boys-only, but there's never a case for discriminating based on love interest.
Since the parent organization's name is still Boy Scouts of America, I think it was needed for some sort of temporary bureaucratic reason (like it being kept on lists of organizations).

Last edited by ,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the Girl Scouts still intact and exclusively for girls but the Boy Scouts now has to include girls. Why?

Perhaps "has to include girls" isn't it? Is the objective of the Boy Scouts only applicable to boys? Perhaps they realized there was no real reason to exclude girls? As for the Girl Scouts, they clearly do not have any interest in being an inclusive organization (except in recognizing transfemales)? One could argue that having two groups is redundant, but we have plenty of organizations that are redundant, so that's hardly a big thing.

As for the name, I presume just "Scouts" would be confusing (and probably violate the Girl Scouts trademark for lack of clear differentiation). But, yea, Scouts BSA just makes me thing "Scouts Bullshit Association" or something. Whatever. Not that I'm joining anyways. :)

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So people complain that girls are not allowed in the Boy Scouts. Umm... the Boy Scouts. So they change the Boy Scouts to BSA and allow girls in.

Now there are people against this decision. Even the Girl Scouts are criticizing the Boy Scouts for this stupid decision.
The girl scouts only care because some girls have decided that they prefer the scouts instead (I.e. “you’re taking our money so fuck you”). Scouts bsa and girl scouts end up being very different experiences, so it makes sense that some girls would much rather just be a scout. Not a stupid decision, it’s just being complained about by stupid people, and salty corporate entities.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just gonna toss out there that Girl Scouts have accepted boys within the scouts for years and no one batted an eyelash.
Edit: turns out it was a local troop in my hometown and not the whole organization

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that's the case in the US. they are separate entities from the scouts in the UK. Now since the boy scouts accept girls there's no reason to join girl scouts now tbh. The boy scouts are much more engaging then girl scouts.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oy, when are we going to allow females and males to compete in the exact same match during sport events? I wonder why they never complained about that yet.
Really makes you think if there is perhaps a distinct difference between males and females after all :unsure:

That being said, I have nothing against inclusiveness but this is getting a little stale. Let boy scouts be boy scouts and girl scouts be girl scouts.
Either that or just toss out both and call it plain old scouts.

I wish this era of MUH SAFE BUBBLES PLS DONT POP MUH BUBBLE would just come to an abrupt end already, it's getting really annoying and too many decisions are being made based on, and sorry if anyone gets offended, what a group of minorities wants or what they are offended by.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get why they were ever separate in the first place. I spent seven years in scouting and never saw an issue with both boys and girls being together. That being said, this was in the UK. America is weird.

Reactions: ShonenJump

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

If the only difference between the two organizations was the admission criteria, this would be a valid point. However since it seems that the Boy Scouts focus on actual scouting, hiking, camping, trekking, wilderness skills, orientation, map reading and so on, while the Girl Scouts focus on selling cookies, they are not valid alternatives to each other. People complain that girls are not allowed into the only actual youth scouts organization in the US and that the only "alternative" they're offered is basically a pyramid scheme and may as well be called "Amy's Baking Company" and drop the "scout" pretense altogether. And the "Girl Scouts" are criticizing this decision because it will cost them revenue, nothing else.

Combining young boys and girls together is not going to work out well. A lot of titty grabbing will be going around.
Yeah, let's segregate schools too. Letting boys interact with girls is a terrible idea.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SJW feminist idiocy. I'll ask once - Does Girls Scouts is still called Girls Scouts? The answer is "fucking yes" and it shows how this change is pretty lame and pushed by very toxic groups of people. I'm how that they will boycott this crap to the point were the change will be turned back, just for the sake of not giving some completely idiotic people a satisfaction of ruining it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SJW feminist idiocy. I'll ask once - Does Girls Scouts is still called Girls Scouts? The answer is "fucking yes" and it shows how this change is pretty lame and pushed by very toxic groups of people. I'm how that they will boycott this crap to the point were the change will be turned back, just for the sake of not giving some completely idiotic people a satisfaction of ruining it.
I'm confused as to why you use one organization not changing their name as a justification for why the other one shouldn't. They're completely separate entities run by different people, even if the GS were prodded into changing their name as well no one would be able to expect both organizations to do it simultaneously

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh