Hacking Buying a new wii

Aeonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up until now, I've been using my brother's wii for getting my homebrew fix, but, with the upcoming release of Monster Hunter Tri, it's time for me to get my own.

I understand that Bootmii is only fully functional on older model wiis, so I'll be looking for a used one. Is there a way to tell from the serial number, etc. whether it has the old boot1? I could always ask when they bought it, but that's no guarantee.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help!

Aeonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has a specific date for the appearance of the new boot1 been determined?

My internet mining turned up one instance of "Summer '08," and the Hackmii article came out February '09.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea mid 2008 is about the general area of its emergence. Don't put too much faith in the serial number though unless its something like LU10 which would only be on like a launch Wii or something.

Edit: Also, Wii's are still hackable with or without a vulnerable boot1. Bootmii installing to boot2 is the only thing newer Wii's prevent aside from those D3-2 Wii's or something that can't read any burned games at all (but can still use USB Loaders AFAIK). So the only thing you lose with newer Wii's for the most part is solid brick protection.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If it exists, it is hackable. It's just that newer wiis can't use as many hacks as older ones, and you'll have to be more careful with them.

Maybe you should try getting USB loaders running before burned discs, as you may have one of those D3-2 drives, which can't physically can't read burned DVD(+/-)R's.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are only 2 things that may vary with Wii's.

If you can or cannot install Bootmii as boot2.
The brand new Wii's may not be able to read burned discs.

They are all hackable, and can all do the exact same thing apart from what I just mentioned.

Bootmii as boot2 is nice but not essential if you are not an idiot and take precautions before you mess with things.
Reading burned discs may or may not matter to you. You do lose the ability to play GC games with gc backup launcher, but otherwise burned discs are lame anyway. USB loading is the way to go for Wii backups.

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
If it exists, it is hackable. It's just that newer wiis can't use as many hacks as older ones, and you'll have to be more careful with them.

Maybe you should try getting USB loaders running before burned discs, as you may have one of those D3-2 drives, which can't physically can't read burned DVD(+/-)R's.
QFT.

There's a limited number of things newer Wiis can't do, but the list is getting smaller all the time. And you don't really need a disk drive for anything at all. Take the amount of money you'd spend on blank dvds and get an external. =)

Aeonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I already have a shiny new hard drive. I own a surprising number of Wii games for never having my own system
smile.gif

So far, a cursory scan of certain business-related websites has me thinking it won't be difficult to find an old version. I'm not one to compromise on functionality.

Boot2 Bootmii is very important to me, as I don't plan on being terribly gentle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg