Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II will use the same controversial phone requirement system as Overwatch 2

new_era-mw2.jpg

Overwatch 2 found itself in the midst of controversy--not just because of the multiple DDoS attacks it suffered on launch--when it decided to force players to use a phone number to verify their account. The game uses a 2-factor authentication system called SMS Protect, which in theory is designed to prevent disruptive behavior, but in doing so also limits what types of phone numbers are accepted: prepaid phone plans and VOIP numbers are blocked. This led to a lot of outcry from fans, to the point that Blizzard had to partially walk back some of the restrictions, though it still requires having an aged Battle.net account.

Now, with all the ensuing drama regarding the SMS Protect restrictions, Activision Blizzard is going right ahead and implementing it yet again, in the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. A new FAQ page for Battle.net details that in order to access Modern Warfare II at all, you'll need a phone number, and once more, VOIP services and WhatsApp will not work, while prepaid phone numbers "may not work".

:arrow: Source

sroemr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit take.
It's a terrible take. I had T-mobile, and paid around $70. I switched to Metro, which uses the exact same network and has the same benefits, to pay $30. No way would I switch back to a more expensive plan. I tried playing Overwatch 2, and was going to buy MW2 but now I'll just save my money and wait for Microsoft to buy them and then remove the stupid requirements (and be free on Gamepass).

Reactions: DoctorBagPhD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.