Physical copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II contain only 70MB on disc, require 150+GB "update"

1666898650235.png

Players who received early physical copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 report that the disc doesn't actually contain the game. It contains around 70MB of data, while the other ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY GIGABYTES, the actual game, have to be downloaded and installed via teh interwebz. The disc is basically just proof of purchase.

The officially releases tomorrow, and until that time those with physical copies can just twiddle their thumbs and fume. Since the game isn't officially out yet, and download isn't available, the disc is really just a piece of shiny plastic.

What does this mean in terms of copyright, intellectual property, software as a license VS as a product VS as a service?
What does this mean for resales of physical copies?
What does this mean for game preservation?

Activision has yet to comment.

Source,

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, they're really keen on killing physical media. 😞

That's what PC disc games are like, I think. Pointless really since it doesn't have the actual game.

Always wondered why Blu-ray Discs weren't used for PC games, but with GoG, Steam, EA, Epic, Ubisoft, etc they're irrelevant, anyway.

No internet or bandwidth to download it? No game for you~!

I'd ask for a refund if it were me.

Btw, this is Modern Warfare II, not Modern Warfare 2.

that they are, they are desperate to put gamestop out of business so they can continue to make mobile games and fleece you when you spend your hard earned money on them.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of the reasons why i won't buy Call Of Duty games anymore.... The constant big downloads does my head in everytime they release an update...

I have to redownload everything again from scratch whenever one does come out

Reactions: Marc_LFD

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What did you expect really? A game that's just as pridictable as every other shooter game out there seriously all it does is make 6yos foul mouthed and little douchebags.

Last edited by CaliousKai,
Reactions: 64bitmodels

Soultie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're really boxing in folks who care about physical products, and they're giving others a valid incentive to go all digital..
Too true. Honestly though, you can only fit so much on a disc or 2. Or 3. Especially with the relentless march towards realism in 3D art. That said, I miss the good old days when you could swap games with a buddy and you were good to go as soon as you popped that sucker in the console. No day 1 patch, no huge updates, just the game ready to play. Viva la physical!

BowelTheMovement

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you can't really own games from now on huh???
You can thank some douchebag in the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland for suggesting a world view to all the rich smucks of the world that the future for humanity is: "You'll own nothing, and be happy!"

Needless to say, the sharks he was professing to didn't interpret what he said how he meant it.

Reactions: HideoKojima

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
More e-waste. Could have just use a download code instead.

As I said before, the disc is still the DRM though on consoles, so for those who don't want the game tied to an account the disc may still be better.

IIRC Sony also has tighter control on digital games, so it may not even be possible.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not so subtle reminder that, Konami did the same thing with their physical release of mgs v. The 'disc' literally just had the installer for steam and the case came with the serial key for the game. That's it.
Post automatically merged:

Since when do modern AAA games fit on a CD-ROM?
They might fit on a DVD if they actually paid for WinRAR 😂

• Haha
Reactions: LeNoobio

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, hold up. Wait. Hold up.

One hundred and fifty gigabytes. Holy shit, bro. I remember downloading 10GB WoW patches and thinking those were hefty. Christ.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Shoot, I remember when 1gb of modded skins for Quake 3 Arena seemed absurd.
Bah, you whippersnappers, back in my day games were 4KB in size and came on audio cassette tapes. And they weren't easy to come by 'neither. One time I had to buy a cassette, so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Ah, there's an interesting story behind that nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three: medium brown.Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is Janet Jackson alive?