Gaming Can anyone repair my Pokemon Platnium corrupted .sav file?

KevinLSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My save file is corrupted but will still load in pokegen with all my pokemons.

So is there anyway to repair the .sav file?

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you knew how it was corrupted then maybe, you can also try the thing where you corrupt the first save and have it load its fallback one (pokemon alternates saves for various reasons) but I guess it already tried that.

Failing that if it still loads in an editor program then start a new game and copy/recreate all the relevant pokemon, inventory and what have you -- many in a similar position in the past have had to fight to get one of the save editors to load it so you at least have that in your favour.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My save file is corrupted but will still load in pokegen with all my pokemons.

So is there anyway to repair the .sav file?

Thanks
check if you can load the save file in an emulator, if so try to save it again and check if it works with your copy of pokemon

KevinLSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: OK IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

I saw a post saying to open the save in pokegen and making a new save with the >save as option. Injected save and it works.

thanks for trying to help guys. appreciate it, almost lost everything from around 10 years ago.

Reactions: lordkaos

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit. Glad you got it working. It seems pokegen has a feature that is essentially the copy data into new save thing I was on about earlier. I will leave what I wrote below.

Offhand I am not sure and I lack the time at present to go through a pokemon hacking site to figure out the format. Technically there are a few ways you could otherwise figure it out without knowing how the save format works* but I am not sure if you would do well for you.

The general idea is you have a save, it might have three slots for three players or something.
Each of those slots has two saves within it.
When you save one of those slots is used, next time you save the next one is used. Obviously the game also keeps track of which one is the current. This is partially as a backup, partially as a thing called wear levelling.

The idea would be that you corrupt the "current" save (even opening in a hex editor, finding the location of said save and overwriting with random keyboard mashings will do the job).

You load the game (in an emulator if you want). The game will try to load, see the "current" one is corrupt and then try to fall back to the previous one which will hopefully still be good, albeit at the loss of a bit of progress as it will be the time before. You then save normally and carry on with your game.

Depending upon how it was corrupted though the game might well already have tried this and still failed. If it was more that a save editor was used and corrupted it (but otherwise kept all the checks happy) then that is a different matter, hence why I asked how the corruption happened.

*the two ideas for it I would have other than finding a copy of the save format ( https://projectpokemon.org/docs/gen-4/ seems rather limited as well) would be 1) if this corrupted version still saves then save a few times and note where the changes are at. Go back to your original and figure out what was the "current" one and do the random gibberish thing in that section.
2) pokegen will also know what the current one is. Do some mods with it (don't care, anything really), do a compare with a hex editor to see which parts were changed, overwrite those changes again with random gibberish and then try to load the game as per the other parts of the thread.

Last edited by FAST6191,

KevinLSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
new problem, my name is stuck as "???????" now and when ever my name needs to be displayed in pc/party box the screen shows question marks everywhere

KevinLSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah um looks like i got the save to work but the game has a lot of problems, screen corruption, going into battle will freeze the game and maybe other stuff that im not aware of yet. I dont think theres a way Id be able to fix all this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8uydsntOyc