• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can Donald Trump become President Again?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Golly, I really should have factored in all the snow and nighttime I get here in the Midwest before posting. I've honestly never heard of these things. I'm really going to look foolish when I look it up and find out my state gets a whopping 10% more sunlight than Wisconsin.

Pour one out for the mole people of Wisconsin who can't generate cheap electricity from photovoltaic solar panels.:grog:
I didn’t say “can’t”. I said that it’s less optimal than other methods and inherently more unreliable based on weather conditions - it doesn’t work as well in colder climates, it’s a known quantity. You’re putting words in my mouth. Wisconsin gets 30 degree lows and up to 160 inches of snow between December and February - if you happen to live in the north, snow coverage stays on surfaces for 140 days out of a year, around 65 days in the south. If you’re cool with not having electricity for two months in the dead of winter then that’s cool, otherwise panels are an insufficient source of energy in the region without 24/7 maintenance and can only be used to supplement the grid.
I am not surprised they are opposed to the Biden administration admidst the economic sanctions and his recent remarks. In light of those remarks it's just a "two can play at this game" situation.

What I am somewhat surprised about, is the fact they are not just calling for a regime change (which the US already has a system in place to change every 4 years, 8 at max) but specifically calling for Trump and how openly Trump is willing to accept/call for help from Russia and Putin specifically...

It's just absurd to me, as an outsider, that a large number of conservatives would give their vote to such open acts of moral disregard just to "own the libs/dems"...
I seem to remember a certain other figure known from the Oval Office making recommendations on who should be elected in a foreign election, but who keeps score?

Last edited by Foxi4,

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I am somewhat surprised about, is the fact they are not just calling for a regime change (which the US already has a system in place to change every 4 years, 8 at max) but specifically calling for Trump and how openly Trump is willing to accept/call for help from Russia and Putin specifically...

It's just absurd to me, as an outsider, that a large number of conservatives would give their vote to such open acts of moral disregard just to "own the libs/dems"...
Back in the day we called this treason, but now its more patriotic to ignore the man behind the iron curtain and embrace our leaders actions regardless of right and wrong.

Also these days its just a matter of team pride. Not a matter of logic or sense of morality, its about what you wear on your sleeve and having to strictly abide by that, refusing to see any other side but your own. That is the world we live in now.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
We have the technology to be less reliant on gas than we are now, unfortunately people keep voting for people that are beholden to gas companies. Even now, people are saving money with just hybrid cars.

Besides, even if we forgo all environmental safety for more pipelines, unless we nationalize gas, we have no control where that gas goes.

Getting a worse president and government wouldn't help.
That's helplessly idealistic. You do realize that electric vehicle battieries use lithium, which is absolute fucking poison to mine, right? Furthermore, if we were on an all electric vehicle system, that energy has to be created somehow, right? Because of our innate fear of nuclear for whatever reason, we rely on fossil fuels to make that energy.

Just because you aren't huffing gas fumes doesn't mean your electric car isn't poisoning the environment. At best, you're either frontloading the emissions or being a NIMBY about where the emissions are emitted.

I'm not discounting that electric vehicles aren't a good R&D initiative. It shows alternatives which may be more prone to eventually being less negative environment impacts, but to continue pretending we're already in that future is asinine and is doubling down on making the general populace suffer by royally fucking up the economy and people's quality of lives and the the absolute definition of virtue signalling.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's helplessly idealistic. You do realize that electric vehicle battieries use lithium, which is absolute fucking poison to mine, right? Furthermore, if we were on an all electric vehicle system, that energy has to be created somehow, right? Because of our innate fear of nuclear for whatever reason, we rely on fossil fuels to make that energy.

Not all cars of this nature use lithium as a battery type, some use nickel-cadmium for their battery type (Primarlity Toyota vehicles seem to be anyways).

Just because you aren't huffing gas fumes doesn't mean your electric car isn't poisoning the environment. At best, you're either frontloading the emissions or being a NIMBY about where the emissions are emitted.

I'm not discounting that electric vehicles aren't a good R&D initiative. It shows alternatives which may be more prone to eventually being less negative environment impacts, but to continue pretending we're already in that future is asinine and is doubling down on making the general populace suffer by royally fucking up the economy and people's quality of lives and the the absolute definition of virtue signalling.

I do not think environmental tables are any bit of focus, as no matter what you do or use its going to cause issues down the line no matter what. Its not so much about less carbon foot printing and more about having renewable energies that do not depend on siphoning on resources that are by nature finite. Unless someone can figure out how to rapidly convert organic mass into petroleum on the fly or create something along the lines of a Mr. Fusion type system we should be moving away from fossil fuels and towards alternative sources of energy that will not become increasingly harder to source as time goes on.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Heh... Wouldn't that be the solution that passes everyone?

Poetin steps down as president of Russia...

... To be succeeded by Donald Trump. Wouldn't that please everyone? :tpi:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not all cars of this nature use lithium as a battery type, some use nickel-cadmium for their battery type (Primarlity Toyota vehicles seem to be anyways).

I do not think environmental tables are any bit of focus, as no matter what you do or use its going to cause issues down the line no matter what. Its not so much about less carbon foot printing and more about having renewable energies that do not depend on siphoning on resources that are by nature finite. Unless someone can figure out how to rapidly convert organic mass into petroleum on the fly or create something along the lines of a Mr. Fusion type system we should be moving away from fossil fuels and towards alternative sources of energy that will not become increasingly harder to source as time goes on.
Cadmium is even worse for the environment than lithium - lithium mining damages the environment because it’s extracted from the earth via strip mining, cadmium is straight up toxic, like most heavy metals. It’s also heavily restricted in the European Union under RoHS, with few exceptions. NiCads are awful, there’s a reason why they were, for the most part, replaced by Li-ion and NiMH cells.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cadmium is even worse for the environment than lithium - lithium mining damages the environment because it’s extracted from the earth via strip mining, cadmium is straight up toxic, like most heavy metals. It’s also heavily restricted in the European Union under RoHS, with few exceptions. NiCads are awful, there’s a reason why they were, for the most part, replaced by Li-ion and NiMH cells.
Its all fairly bad, that said NiCads have a much better shelf life and use life compared to lithium based sources. The only real benefit lithium has is that it can be in theory cheaper, and it charges faster, but its general life of use is sharply lower than that of NiCads in terms of long use life.

Its all varying levels of evil here when it comes to the environment, what matters is choosing a source that will last long term in practicality of use and in eventual replacement. Id imagine the amount of times a NiCad needing replacement is far fewer than lithium batteries are. Also NiCads do not explode on you if something fucks up with the power delivery or if the battery goes bad.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as the Equality Act is concerned, I object to any and all protected categories on principle, and as such find no fault here - in fact, many of the existing “protections” should be rolled back.
Spoken exactly like someone who's never encountered prejudice or discrimination in life, why am I not surprised you're gushing for a fascist like Trump.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Spoken exactly like someone who's never encountered prejudice or discrimination in life, why am I not surprised you're gushing for a fascist like Trump.
1. Fascism is the combination of government and business against the citizen - if we’re looking purely through the lens of policy, the Biden administration has been significantly more fascistic.
2. Anti-pole prejudice in the UK is common, I’m just not a big baby about it. No special treatment for anyone - that’s equality.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This in not a definition of fascism.
Fascism is often called the intersection of government and business, I’m surprised you haven’t heard of this. Business monopolies operating as proxies under government control are one of the defining characteristics of the system. I quote:
An important aspect of fascist economies was economic dirigism, meaning an economy where the government often subsidizes favorable companies and exerts strong directive influence over investment, as opposed to having a merely regulatory role. In general, fascist economies were based on private property and private initiative, but these were contingent upon service to the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_of_fascism
Its all fairly bad, that said NiCads have a much better shelf life and use life compared to lithium based sources. The only real benefit lithium has is that it can be in theory cheaper, and it charges faster, but its general life of use is sharply lower than that of NiCads in terms of long use life.

Its all varying levels of evil here when it comes to the environment, what matters is choosing a source that will last long term in practicality of use and in eventual replacement. Id imagine the amount of times a NiCad needing replacement is far fewer than lithium batteries are. Also NiCads do not explode on you if something fucks up with the power delivery or if the battery goes bad.
NiCd batteries absolutely do explode, particularly in overcharge conditions. It’s a more stable chemistry, but the reason why batteries explode in the first place is rapid discharge of stored energy, which usually means heat. Modern Li-ion batteries are vented and highly unlikely to explode under any conditions - if they’re mistreated, they simply off-gas excess electrolyte. They also feature fire retardants nowadays, we’re not in the early 2000’s anymore.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fascism is often called the intersection of government and business, I’m surprised you haven’t heard of this.
Probably because you made it up.
2. Anti-pole prejudice in the UK is common, I’m just not a big baby about it. No special treatment for anyone - that’s equality.
First of all: hypocrite whataboutism, which is not surprising. Second of all, wrong. What you said is the opposite of equality

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s literally one of the defining characteristics of a fascist state, but okay.
First of all: hypocrite whataboutism, which is not surprising. Second of all, wrong. What you said is the opposite of equality.
Treating everyone equally is the opposite of equality, I’m guilty of whataboutism when I mentioned anti-pole sentiment in the UK after being told I’ve never faced prejudice or discrimination. Got it. In other news, white is black, up is down and the sun orbits the Earth. Great stuff.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's helplessly idealistic. You do realize that electric vehicle battieries use lithium, which is absolute fucking poison to mine, right?

Nah, helpless idealism is nuclear fusion in my lifetime.

Yes, they aren't perfect, but they are still environmentally better. Even PHEVs are still better than just gas cars.

Furthermore, if we were on an all electric vehicle system, that energy has to be created somehow, right? Because of our innate fear of nuclear for whatever reason, we rely on fossil fuels to make that energy.
Which can come from other growing green energy sources. Growth that could be faster, if it wasn't getting push back from people that are beholden to gas companies.

I'm fine with nuclear, in fact, more funding was giving to existing ones recently.

Electric isn't perfect, but it already has less environmental impact than gas cars. Needlessly being stuck in the past and shortsightedness, isn't helping anyone either.

Reactions: Xzi

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This in not a definition of fascism

First of all: hypocrite whataboutism, which is not surprising. Second of all, wrong. What you said is the opposite of equality
>someone explains the definition of fascism
>gets told it's not fascism
>"NO THAT'S NOT FASCISM YOU LYE!"

Sounds like someone who supports or is a fascist would do and say, but what do I know, I'm clearly a fascist myself.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
>someone explains the definition of fascism
>gets told it's not fascism
>"NO THAT'S NOT FASCISM YOU LYE!"

Sounds like someone who supports or is a fascist would do and say, but what do I know, I'm clearly a fascist myself.
That's actually not the definition of fascism.
Definition of fascism
1often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control
early instances of army fascism and brutality
— J. W. Aldridge
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism
(sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
(sometimes initial capital letter) the philosophy, principles, or methods of fascism.
(initial capital letter) a political movement that employs the principles and methods of fascism, especially the one established by Mussolini in Italy 1922–43.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fascism

What was given was the definition of a corporatocracy.
Corporatocracy (/ˌkɔːrpərəˈtɒkrəsi/, from corporate and Greek: -κρατία, romanized: -kratía, lit. 'domination by'; short form corpocracy is a term used to refer to an economic, political and judicial system controlled by corporations or corporate interests.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatocracy

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's actually not the definition of fascism.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fascism

What was given was the definition of a corporatocracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporatocracy
Considering on how all those sites are biased and has regularly changed definitions to follow the mainstream nonsense narrative:
https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/6/10/21286656/merriam-webster-racism-definition
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ses-definitions-eliminate-prejudiced-language
https://www.newsmax.com/us/wikipedia-liberal-activist-website/2020/11/29/id/999156/
(to name a few examples)
I'm not putting much stock or trust in them. I'd rather to stick to what words and their definitions actually mean.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Considering on how all those sites are biased and has regularly changed definitions to follow the mainstream nonsense narrative:
https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/6/10/21286656/merriam-webster-racism-definition
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ses-definitions-eliminate-prejudiced-language
https://www.newsmax.com/us/wikipedia-liberal-activist-website/2020/11/29/id/999156/
(to name a few examples)
I'm not putting much stock or trust in them. I'd rather to stick to what words and their definitions actually mean.
All those links you listed says nothing about fascism.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU