Hacking Can I connect wii with roms to internet

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm planning to mod my wii, and a local place mods them. They said if you connect to the internet, your mods and stuff will get removed and the console will be restored to its original unmodded version. Is this true?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Save your money, use modmii, do it yourself.

An update can remove some of your hacks, but the modding procedure, when done properly, involves blocking updates (edit: and even if this happens you can always just softmod again)

So yeah, connecting a modded console to the internet is not a problem

Last edited by XFlak,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
So I'm planning to mod my wii, and a local place mods them. They said if you connect to the internet, your mods and stuff will get removed and the console will be restored to its original unmodded version. Is this true?
Connecting a modded Wii to the internet shouldn't delete / remove your mods / homebrew hacks (unless you perform a Wii System Menu update, that DELETES ALL MODS).

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Never pay some criminal to mod your Wii. It wasn't easy back when I did it in 2012, but it is relatively easy to do now:
http://wii.guide/

And making sure your Wii has the latest system update (4.3) before modding means never having to worry about downloading a Wii system update. So do that first if you aren't running 4.3.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No only system updates can do that ever since 4.2 and up

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modding a wii is so easy nowadays it would literally take more effort bringing your wii to that store than doing it yourself... what price are they doing it for anyway?
I'd love to mod the wii myself but somehow my family is convinced that if I install the homebrew channel myself, I will brick the wii. The wii has been collecting dust for years since we have the wii u, but at least the store puts other mods on it besides the homebrew channel.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
the store puts other mods on it besides the homebrew channel.
Not knowing what exactly those other mods are and how they work is only going to lead to problems later on. By modding the Wii yourself you'll know what you modded, and how and why you modded said things. It's a learning experience and if you ever run into problems in the future it'll be much easier for you to describe your setup when asking for help.

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not knowing what exactly those other mods are and how they work is only going to lead to problems later on. By modding the Wii yourself you'll know what you modded, and how and why you modded said things. It's a learning experience and if you ever run into problems in the future it'll be much easier for you to describe your setup when asking for help.
I know what they're putting on it. They put emulators on the wii, and I was more or less asking this so I know if I could connect a modded wii to the internet regardless of who mods it.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
it depends on how it was modded. If it was modded up to our standards, then connecting it to the internet is fine and you won't be prompted to update.

If the people who are trying to get you to pay them to mod the console are telling you not to connect it to the internet, that may be a sign that they don't really know what they're doing.

Do me a favour. Download modmii from my signature, start modmii classic (the one with the blue screen, not ModMii Skin), then start the main Wizard from the main menu (first item listed), answer the questions, on the final screen enter "g" to generate guide only (or "y" to generate the guide and start downloading). Read your custom guide, it's very easy to follow. Show it to your fam if they still don't trust you, but after seeing this guide and how easy ModMii can make modding your Wii, I hope you'll feel confident to DIY.

edit: oh and many emulators and other apps just for fun can be downloaded using ModMii as well (see modmii classic download page 2)

Last edited by XFlak,

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it depends on how it was modded. If it was modded up to our standards, then connecting it to the internet is fine and you won't be prompted to update.

If the people who are trying to get you to pay them to mod the console are telling you not to connect it to the internet, that may be a sign that they don't really know what they're doing.

Do me a favour. Download modmii from my signature, start modmii classic (the one with the blue screen, not ModMii Skin), then start the main Wizard from the main menu (first item listed), answer the questions, on the final screen enter "g" to generate guide only (or "y" to generate the guide and start downloading). Read your custom guide, it's very easy to follow. Show it to your fam if they still don't trust you, but after seeing this guide and how easy ModMii can make modding your Wii, I hope you'll feel confident to DIY.

edit: oh and many emulators and other apps just for fun can be downloaded using ModMii as well (see modmii classic download page 2)
I am not familiar at all with modmii, if I mod the wii myself I will probably use the letterbomb method with the hackmii installer.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
That's not a complete solution. Those by themselves will just allow u to install the HBC and bootmii. Modmii will have you use letterbomb (or various other exploits to choose from, u only need 1) to install the HBC and bootmii, and it will also have u install cIOSs (required to use a USB-loader to launch your games), priiloader, etc.

I don't expect u to know what these are, but if you do what I described in my last message, your custom guide will provide u with not just the steps you should follow, but also fun facts and helpful hints so you learn as you follow your custom guide

ModMii.guthub.io

I'm not going to beg you to use modmii, if u would rather pay for a softmod that can't even get online, that's your choice.

Edit: if u don't use a windows pc, modmii won't work for you, and you can use wii.guide instead

Last edited by XFlak,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not familiar at all with modmii, if I mod the wii myself I will probably use the letterbomb method with the hackmii installer.

This statement shows you don't have a clue. Don't bring it to the shop and pay someone else, and don't attempt to mod it with any other methods/guides than modmii. If you choose to not follow this advice, you're looking for more trouble down than road than it's all worth.

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This statement shows you don't have a clue. Don't bring it to the shop and pay someone else, and don't attempt to mod it with any other methods/guides than modmii. If you choose to not follow this advice, you're looking for more trouble down than road than it's all worth.
What's wrong with hackmii?

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hackmii installer is a tool. When you build a house, you need more than a hammer. Modmii will give you all the tools you need.
Well, I'm not exactly planning to change the theme of my home menu or anything like that, I'm just planning to use the emulators and then add ctgp revolution. I downloaded modmii, but some of it confuses me. I filled out the wizard and it asked me what channels I want, but it just listed channels built into the wii (photos, mii channel, etc.)

Last edited by gabe8273,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!