Hardware Can the fat model PS3 play disc-based games without an HDD?

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
i found a used fat ps3 console for 30 dollars but the seller says it doesn't come with an HDD, so would it still be able to play disc-based games?

there are conflicting information all over the internet as to whether or not the ps3 can work without an HDD or not. some say that since the OS is intalled on the HDD the ps3 cannot function without it, others say that the PS3 can play disc-based games without an HDD just fine. further adding to the confusion is that noone has mentioned what ps3 model they have so i really have no idea if only a specific model of the ps3 can play disc games without an HDD, or if everyone is actually talking about the slim which according to word of mouth is capable of playing disc games without an hdd.

does anyone have a fat ps3 that they can test this with? i'd much appreciate it if someone can test this out for me. thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by blueagent004,

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the emmc 12gb model is exactly what i'm looking for! thank you soooo much for letting me know!

The integrated MMC could be too small for some games. Example: Bioshock ultimate rapture edition needs 22gb to install. You can always put an old laptop sata drive inside: it's easy. You only need the disk caddy (it's not really necessary but useful to avoid to damage the pcb of the hdd).

Reactions: blueagent004

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the emmc 12gb model is exactly what i'm looking for! thank you soooo much for letting me know!

The integrated MMC could be too small for some games. Example: Bioshock ultimate rapture edition needs 22gb to install. You can always put an old laptop sata drive inside: it's easy. You only need the disk caddy (it's not really necessary but useful to avoid to damage the pcb of the hdd).

Reactions: blueagent004

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo