Can the WFS header be restored?

Ferkner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So last night prior to going through the WiiU hacking guide I wanted to back up the contents of the attached hard drive. The drive is older and I wanted to use a newer drive after. I didn't know about any of the WFS dumping tools. I plugged the stove into windows and when MiniTool Drive Partition saw it I inadvertently churned the boot header to GPT. So now I still have no access to the files in Windows and the Wii U doesn't recognize it and wants to dismay the drive.

All the Wii U game saves are on there as well as all the installed games. I don't care about the games but the save files are important. Now I have no idea how to retrieve these files. Is there a way to restore the WFS header? If not is there a way for me to copy the save files off the drive and move them to a new drive?

I have access to windows, Linux (raspberry pi) and macos.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So last night prior to going through the WiiU hacking guide I wanted to back up the contents of the attached hard drive. The drive is older and I wanted to use a newer drive after. I didn't know about any of the WFS dumping tools. I plugged the stove into windows and when MiniTool Drive Partition saw it I inadvertently churned the boot header to GPT. So now I still have no access to the files in Windows and the Wii U doesn't recognize it and wants to dismay the drive.

All the Wii U game saves are on there as well as all the installed games. I don't care about the games but the save files are important. Now I have no idea how to retrieve these files. Is there a way to restore the WFS header? If not is there a way for me to copy the save files off the drive and move them to a new drive?

I have access to windows, Linux (raspberry pi) and macos.
maybe if you format a second hdd on the system without doing a factory reset, then replace sector 0 with the other. I do not know if that's how large the header is though.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HxD, I guess. there's a box that appears when you go to look at an hdd. remember to enable write privileges as it's disabled by default. it will be like a little checkbox iirc.

Ferkner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HxD, I guess. there's a box that appears when you go to look at an hdd. remember to enable write privileges as it's disabled by default. it will be like a little checkbox iirc.
I'll give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll report back on what happens.

Reactions: godreborn

Ferkner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't guarantee anything, but that's the general way to do it on the ps3. I think the hdds must be the same size as well.
The original is 250GB. I don't have another that is that size. The closest thing is a USB thumb drive that is 256GB.

Ferkner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HxD won't let me open the Wii U formatted flash drive. I get the message saying "Insufficient rights for opening this disk, even as administrator".

Would I have better luck on a Mac or in Linux?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
on linux I use wxHexEditor. It can directly work on large devices. But maybe you just wan't to use dd. Also you should make an backup before.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most likely you didn't enable write privileges. can you even see the drive in HxD? did it fail immediately? if so, I'm not sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hey LTT stole my shopping secrets for that video LOL