• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Canada Post is in strike, Trudeau wants to ruin democracy

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So yea...
Canada Post is now in strike for few weeks, and now, Trudeau deposed a special law that is being examined
For those who aren't familiar with special law : They force employees to go back to work, otherwise, theyll be charged
My mom works for Canada Post and she told me something funny about this

Back in 2011, Harper was the prime minister of Canada, and he voted a special law against Canada Post as well
And yet, Trudeau was the first to complain about it at the assembly... strange right?

Personally, I think these special law are anti-democratic
There was special law as well back in the student strike in Quebec back in 2011-2012 (iirc)

What are your though about special laws?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Charging them with crimes seems like a bit much, they should just hire new employees if the current ones refuse to work. That said, it should've been obvious that a strike like this right before the holiday season wasn't going to go over very well with the government or the citizens.

Trudeau is being a hardass on this, but until Canada elects a Trump-like leader, you won't know what ruining Democracy truly looks like.

Last edited by Xzi,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Charging them with crimes seems like a bit much, they should just hire new employees if the current ones refuse to work. That said, it should've been obvious that a strike like this right before the holiday season wasn't going to go over very well with the government or the citizens.

Trudeau is being a hardass on this, but until Canada elects a Trump-like leader, you won't know what ruining Democracy truly looks like.
true
But Harper was a bit like Trump
He was seriously despicing quebecois

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
true
But Harper was a bit like Trump
He was seriously despicing quebecois
Be thankful it was just a bit. I doubt he went around calling all news media the "enemy of the people," using "alternative facts" and claiming that millions of illegals voted whenever elections didn't go his way. That's what undermining Democracy really looks like, scenes taken directly from Orwell's 1984.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Be thankful it was just a bit. I doubt he went around calling all news media the "enemy of the people," using "alternative facts" and claiming that millions of illegals voted whenever elections didn't go his way. That's what undermining Democracy really looks like, scenes taken directly from Orwell's 1984.
yea you're right^^
Even if Harper was despicing us
I still prefer him to Trump

But still, Harper was very conservative,
I'm they would be good friend him and Trump...

Reactions: Xzi
D

Deleted User

as someone that's waiting for like 5 things in the mail, as well as looking to get more stuff shipped, their backlog is entirely their fault for going on strike the first time.

i support this. mail isn't something you fuck with, especially not at this time of the year

think of it this way, i'm waiting on a form so i can get prescribed eyeglasses, and with this strike, i'll just have to stay partially blind i guess

Last edited by ,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as someone that's waiting for like 5 things in the mail, as well as looking to get more stuff shipped, their backlog is entirely their fault for going on strike the first time.

i support this. mail isn't something you fuck with, especially not at this time of the year
As for not fucking with mail, I totally agree with you
LAst week, my neighbour received a package for me
and even worse, he found it besides his car...
Though, it wasn't Canada Post, so I guess that delivery company doesn't have high standards...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

think of it this way, i'm waiting on a form so i can get prescribed eyeglasses, and with this strike, i'll just have to stay partially blind i guess
oh and btw, even with this special law, you probably won't see your package anytime soon
I mean, Canada Post asked China, UK and USA to keep package sent to Canada
And that's not something special law can do anything to

EDIT: NVM, just asked my mom, they do will receive them finally

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't actually go into detail as to how forcing post workers to do their job will ruin democracy.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't actually go into detail as to how forcing post workers to do their job will ruin democracy.
going to a strike is a democratic right
Forcing them to go back to work is denying them of a democratic right
Which is anti-democratics

Reactions: DrHouse1337 and Xzi

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
going to a strike is a democratic right
Forcing them to go back to work is denying them of a democratic right
Which is anti-democratics

It is, I guess I'm looking at this from a US perspective, not Canadian.
For most Americans, the post office is not something you should disrupt, and I don't know how it is right now, but after the 1970s strike there were some changes to make it harder to strike.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For most Americans, the post office is not something you should disrupt, and I don't know how it is right now, but after the 1970s strike there were some changes to make it harder to strike.
True. Then again, Trump and Republicans have been pushing to privatize the US Post Office for some time now. That would surely result in a slight disruption at least, not to mention drive up prices and drive down quality of service.

Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For canadian as well, it's not something you should mess with
But Canada Post is a company like all other and striking is a right they have
Forcing them to return to work is bad imo

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's more like fedex than the US post office?
Then I agree they should have a right to strike, I thought they were like the USPS, which is part of the federal government, kind of.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, just hire on whoever will take current wages + ~1.5$ and figure out funding for it later. Be done with it. No need to force current workers back in such a hamfisted way.

Edit: not to say they don't deserve much higher wages, but that's being realistic with the way capitalism works.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it's more like fedex than the US post office?
Then I agree they should have a right to strike, I thought they were like the USPS, which is part of the federal government, kind of.
Actually, Canada Post do is owned by federal government
But still, they have the right to strike

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...our local post office (BPost) was on strike some weeks ago as well. I'm not sure how it got resolved, but I suppose with raises and/or better working conditions. With good reason: people hardly send letters anymore (that's all e-mail now), but have things shipped more than ever. Whenever the garbage men come to pick up carbon & paper, you can just count whomever ordered from bol.com, amazon or similar web-based deliveries. It's only fair that if deliveries get larger and heavier, the postmen need to be compensated better. If that doesn't happen (enough), it's only logical to go on strike. You would to that too if you're getting payed to carry a bag of letters while you're in reality carrying more packages than Santa Claus.

@Noctosphere : I haven't followed the situation in Canada, so...what does that proposal mean, exactly? I won't deny that some packages are very important (organ transplants or medical supplies, for example), but AFAIK the majority are just luxury products. For the most part, these packages aren't filling a real need to someone, so it would seem to me that it's pretty hard to argue that it's a crime ("this lady had to wait FIVE EXTRA DAYS for her new hair dryer. Five days! Can you imagine how terrible it must be for her to wait for it and use her old one? She even contemplated GOING OUTSIDE THE DOOR to buy a hair dryer IN AN ACTUAL STORE!!!!").

Look...If you order 5+ items, your neighbor orders 5+ items and everyone in the street orders 5+ items (which is pretty likely, considering black friday is apparently a worldwide phenomenon now), then one postman that somehow has to deliver all that isn't going to cut it. Give him or her some slack, will you? Or apply for the job yourself if you think their working conditions aren't that bad.

As for "their backlog is entirely their fault"...that's an easy truism. People tend to go on strike when their workload is too large, not "just because". As such, a backlog is a logical consequence of the strike (fuck...I'd even consider a strike that doesn't generate a backlog one where with false intentions).

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...our local post office (BPost) was on strike some weeks ago as well. I'm not sure how it got resolved, but I suppose with raises and/or better working conditions. With good reason: people hardly send letters anymore (that's all e-mail now), but have things shipped more than ever. Whenever the garbage men come to pick up carbon & paper, you can just count whomever ordered from bol.com, amazon or similar web-based deliveries. It's only fair that if deliveries get larger and heavier, the postmen need to be compensated better. If that doesn't happen (enough), it's only logical to go on strike. You would to that too if you're getting payed to carry a bag of letters while you're in reality carrying more packages than Santa Claus.

@Noctosphere : I haven't followed the situation in Canada, so...what does that proposal mean, exactly? I won't deny that some packages are very important (organ transplants or medical supplies, for example), but AFAIK the majority are just luxury products. For the most part, these packages aren't filling a real need to someone, so it would seem to me that it's pretty hard to argue that it's a crime ("this lady had to wait FIVE EXTRA DAYS for her new hair dryer. Five days! Can you imagine how terrible it must be for her to wait for it and use her old one? She even contemplated GOING OUTSIDE THE DOOR to buy a hair dryer IN AN ACTUAL STORE!!!!").

Look...If you order 5+ items, your neighbor orders 5+ items and everyone in the street orders 5+ items (which is pretty likely, considering black friday is apparently a worldwide phenomenon now), then one postman that somehow has to deliver all that isn't going to cut it. Give him or her some slack, will you? Or apply for the job yourself if you think their working conditions aren't that bad.

As for "their backlog is entirely their fault"...that's an easy truism. People tend to go on strike when their workload is too large, not "just because". As such, a backlog is a logical consequence of the strike (fuck...I'd even consider a strike that doesn't generate a backlog one where with false intentions).
There are people that get their medical supplies through the mail.

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Canada Post is owned by the govt, but the thing is that they turn a pretty good profit every single year ($80,000,000 about on average just from the top of my head). They just gave all these workers that work rural routes delivering to like under 100 houses a day a raise, while all these urban workers (delivering to several hundred homes a day) got dick all.

Let me preface this with; I am a fan of Trudeau and Social Justice, but I am not a fan of Social Justice Warriors and PC culture. The reaso2n these rural workers got raises so easily was because they are in the majority women, so it was an easy and popular choice for him. The thing about that is, the reason it's mostly women is because they have much more flexibility in these shifts. That way they can have time for family and having kids etc.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I can see why the rest of the workforce is still pissed off.
To be clear, they are not on a total strike. Important government mail still gets through, and I can't speak for this commentors prescription, but my local mail has not been (seriously) disrupted. I don't have an answer for this (other than I support the postal workers), I just wanted to add some nuance for our American Non-Canuckistan Temp-sters.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox