• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Canada Post is in strike, Trudeau wants to ruin democracy

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are people that get their medical supplies through the mail.
IDK how it works in usa
but here, delivered medecine isnt delivered by canada post or any delivery company
it's delivered by drug store delivery boy ;)

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IDK how it works in usa
but here, delivered medecine isnt delivered by canada post or any delivery company
it's delivered by drug store delivery boy ;)
Some people do get medical stuff through the mail, glasses (I got my new ones just fine last week), diabetics often buy syringes through mail as it is often cheaper

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol i didn't order anything for black friday, i'm totally broke
even if im broke, I'll load my credit card, and pay it with next wage
It's better than paying the full price later ;)
Also, don't forget Cyber Monday :P

D

Deleted User

even if im broke, I'll load my credit card, and pay it with next wage
It's better than paying the full price later ;)
Also, don't forget Cyber Monday :P
don't have a credit card, and my bank doesn't support those fancy "advanced" debit cards

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
True. Then again, Trump and Republicans have been pushing to privatize the US Post Office for some time now. That would surely result in a slight disruption at least, not to mention drive up prices and drive down quality of service.
The USPS is loosing billions $ every year.

Last edited by SG854,

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's true, they're basically subsidizing China's shipping due to like a 150 year old treaty. Does that mean that USPS is not turning a profit though? I know Canada is for sure because they put the numbers out every year. In 2017 they turned $140 million, and in 2016 they made $80 million. I don't think that the USPS should just ignore a treaty, but I do think there's gotta be some room for the changes in global economics over the last 100 years or whatever. US retailers are suffering because of it.

Edit: Wow, apparently 2017 was the 11th straight year of running at a net loss for USPS--> https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/u-s-postal-service-marks-11-straight-years-of-financial-loss

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, , Reason: more details

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That's true, they're basically subsidizing China's shipping due to like a 150 year old treaty. Does that mean that USPS is not turning a profit though? I know Canada is for sure because they put the numbers out every year. In 2017 they turned $140 million, and in 2016 they made $80 million. I don't think that the USPS should just ignore a treaty, but I do think there's gotta be some room for the changes in global economics over the last 100 years or whatever. US retailers are suffering because of it.

Edit: Wow, apparently 2017 was the 11th straight year of running at a net loss for USPS--> https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/u-s-postal-service-marks-11-straight-years-of-financial-loss
They generated 67 billion in revenue in 2013. But that was not enough to cover expenses because they lost 5 billion that year.

They lost 15 billion in 2012.

They can’t raise prices to make up for their expenses either, people would be against that. And congress won’t let them. They need approval of congress to make decisions.

People are using email instead. They are going to get serious competition from other mail services that are going to use drones and robots.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They generated 67 billion in revenue in 2013. But that was not enough to cover expenses because they lost 5 billion that year.

They lost 15 billion in 2012.

They can’t raise prices to make up for their expenses either, people would be against that. And congress won’t let them. They need approval of congress to make decisions.

People are using email instead. They are going to get serious competition from other mail services that are going to use drones and robots.
has amazon already started to deliever with drone in usa?
I know it was in their plan back in early 2010's

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hmm...our local post office (BPost) was on strike some weeks ago as well. I'm not sure how it got resolved, but I suppose with raises and/or better working conditions. With good reason: people hardly send letters anymore (that's all e-mail now), but have things shipped more than ever. Whenever the garbage men come to pick up carbon & paper, you can just count whomever ordered from bol.com, amazon or similar web-based deliveries. It's only fair that if deliveries get larger and heavier, the postmen need to be compensated better. If that doesn't happen (enough), it's only logical to go on strike. You would to that too if you're getting payed to carry a bag of letters while you're in reality carrying more packages than Santa Claus.

@Noctosphere : I haven't followed the situation in Canada, so...what does that proposal mean, exactly? I won't deny that some packages are very important (organ transplants or medical supplies, for example), but AFAIK the majority are just luxury products. For the most part, these packages aren't filling a real need to someone, so it would seem to me that it's pretty hard to argue that it's a crime ("this lady had to wait FIVE EXTRA DAYS for her new hair dryer. Five days! Can you imagine how terrible it must be for her to wait for it and use her old one? She even contemplated GOING OUTSIDE THE DOOR to buy a hair dryer IN AN ACTUAL STORE!!!!").

Look...If you order 5+ items, your neighbor orders 5+ items and everyone in the street orders 5+ items (which is pretty likely, considering black friday is apparently a worldwide phenomenon now), then one postman that somehow has to deliver all that isn't going to cut it. Give him or her some slack, will you? Or apply for the job yourself if you think their working conditions aren't that bad.

As for "their backlog is entirely their fault"...that's an easy truism. People tend to go on strike when their workload is too large, not "just because". As such, a backlog is a logical consequence of the strike (fuck...I'd even consider a strike that doesn't generate a backlog one where with false intentions).
I have a double nationality, so if the consulate try to send me urgent/time-gated forms (say voting forms for example), it has to pass through the mail, mail that is handled by post Canada.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a double nationality, so if the consulate try to send me urgent/time-gated forms (say voting forms for example), it has to pass through the mail, mail that is handled by post Canada.
Lavander Town is located in Kanto, not in Canada
You won't fool me ;)

On a serious note, I think the special law will be voted this week-end :(

Reactions: medoli900

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
True, but we pay for it one way or another, whether it be through taxes or increased shipping costs should they privatize. We've also already got two or three large private competitors in the US, so there's not much point in removing the one public sector option we have.

You're delusional.
Oh. I must have just hallucinated Trump praising despots and disparaging our allies the world over. Good to know that this administration has everything under control, and totally isn't a dumpster fire that ignores journalists being sawed into pieces in exchange for Saudi blood money. /s

Last edited by Xzi,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, by saying that, i think you are lol

I'm just saying regardless of a person's position re: President Trump, to say he has 'ruined democracy' is about as hyperbolic as it gets.

Compared to actions of previous Presidents, nothing Trump has actually done even make the needle shake on the outrageous-meter

Lincoln - suspended habeus corpus, jailed a federal judge and a member of Congress for opposing him

Wilson - hardcore believer in eugenics

Cleveland - raped a woman and then forced her to put the baby in an orphanage

Harding - Teapot Dome (look it up, proven high-level corruption)

FDR - Japanese internment camps

Truman - blatant racist

LBJ - more racist than Truman, liked to take his dick out and show it off

Nixon - was Nixon

Reagan - Iran-Contra

Clinton - perjury, missile strikes to attempt suppression of his scandals, sold defense tech to China

Oh. I must have just hallucinated Trump praising despots and disparaging our allies the world over. Good to know that this administration has everything under control, and totally isn't a dumpster fire that ignores journalists being sawed into pieces in exchange for Saudi blood money. /s

Never said I like the guy that much, or agree with him on every position either - but he's the President and he's entitled to exercise the authority of the office. He's doing about par for the course on the good stuff/bad stuff compared against all the previous administrations I can remember. Doing better than Carter I'd say, that was just sad. As for the Saudi assassination thing, that's Turkey's problem. Happened on their territory. Kashoggi was a Saudi, I don't see where it's of interest to the US government.

For the sake of proportion, you're using the death of one person to smear the current President for not acting. In 2013, Obama declared a "red line," which Syria crossed by killing over 1,500 people, including over 400 children, and despite his earlier declaration of a, "red line," Obama did nothing.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm just saying regardless of a person's position re: President Trump, to say he has 'ruined democracy' is about as hyperbolic as it gets.
I'm not saying he has ruined Democracy, only that he's trying his hardest.

Compared to actions of previous Presidents, nothing Trump has actually done even make the needle shake on the outrageous-meter

Lincoln - suspended habeus corpus, jailed a federal judge and a member of Congress for opposing him

Wilson - hardcore believer in eugenics

Cleveland - raped a woman and then forced her to put the baby in an orphanage

Harding - Teapot Dome (look it up, proven high-level corruption)

FDR - Japanese internment camps

Truman - blatant racist

LBJ - more racist than Truman, liked to take his dick out and show it off

Nixon - was Nixon

Reagan - Iran-Contra

Clinton - perjury, missile strikes to attempt suppression of his scandals, sold defense tech to China
You can draw parallels to Trump with at least four of those. I shouldn't have to explain which, but let me know if you want me to. I also don't think that much of this was a threat to Democracy, morally reprehensible as it might be. Questioning election results and calling the people that keep us informed "enemies" are how most despots get their start. As a matter of fact, those are strategies that Trump took directly from Putin, who rules over a country which no longer has any form of true Democracy.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be lucky that Canada is very union friendly country, but not case in the US, so I'm definitely sure that foreigners don't know about "right to work" law means, so it allow employees in unionized workplace to not pay dues and still take advantage of union benefits. Public employees are right to work in all states now due to US Supreme Court order, so it could be possible to expand to private employees.

As for strike in the US, the state governors and president can invoke Taft-Hartley Act to force you go back to work, or you could be fired or arrested.

true
But Harper was a bit like Trump
He was seriously despicing quebecois

Harper seems more like G.W. Bush and Canada would go crazy if it was Trump-style leader, so it could lead to border war with the US.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D