Cancelled games: Now and in the future

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as people are still upset with the cancellation of Mega Man Legends, I thought I would share some games that could have been but sadly were not. To put it bluntly, a game being canned is not a rare thing and it can happen to some really awesome looking games. But hey, maybe it was for a good reason in the end. Here's only a few of them:

Kirby Tilt N' Tumble 2:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSH_kRN3keM[/youtube]

Planned to be the sequel to Kirby Tilt N' Tumble, the game was re-done removing Kirby in the process before eventually being cancelled. The game would have used the GBA as a controller to tilt much like what would have been done on the gameboy. It didn't look to great from the trailer, but who knows what it could have been.

Sonic X-treme:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk[/youtube]

A somewhat good looking Sonic game. It suffered what I like to call "Duke Nukem" syndrome where it was ported between systems until it was finally cancelled. Unlike Duke however, this game never did get a sequel 15 years later. Although the physics are a bit weird and the camera looks really bad, this might have been a good game. We'll never know.

Earthbound 64:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcd9VnnXSQ[/youtube]

Even though this was later revived as Mother 3 on the Gameboy advance, Earthbound 64 still looked pretty damn awesome and was quite different graphically from it's predecessors. From the look of things, the story would also have differed in ways, but to what extent we don't know.

And these are just a few of the many. So you think Mega Man is unique in this regard? It isn't. All you can do is sigh and maybe one day it will see a revival. Mega Man isn't the first, and it surely isn't the last.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't tell me you made this thread just to dis Mega Man Legend 3 and the fans wants for the game.

It would have been a fine thread without all the "attacks" on that game.

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Don't tell me you made this thread just to dis Mega Man Legend 3 and the fans wants for the game.

Can you please show me where I dissed or attacked anyone or anything?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
KingVamp said:

So you think Mega Man is unique in this regard?
Well it was more like trying to reduce the value of the it,but maybe I misread the tone.

Maybe I'm just sleepy. Anyway nice videos.

Why bring up MML 3 at all?

Just interesting. Link

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
KingVamp said:

So you think Mega Man is unique in this regard?
Well it was more like trying to reduce the value of the it,but maybe I misread the tone.

Maybe I'm just sleepy. Anyway nice videos.

Why bring up MML 3 at all?

I bring it up because I just felt like it would be good to show people that higher profile games have been cancelled before and that it isn't something to get upset about. My main problem has been those who have blamed Capcom as a whole and have lashed out at the Street Fighter and Resident Evil games even though they have nothing to do with Mega Man.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the unique bit about MML3 was the way it was teased and how long we had to wait simply for the tease. This is what people are upset over along with a few days later they announce rehash fighter 3 ultimate edition with characters that were originally meant to be DLC. The Street fighter and RE hate is probably due to how the people at comic-con were handling the fans that were mad at it getting canned. They kept making comments on RE: Operation raccoon city, Street fighter 4, and tekken X street fighter flat out ignoring rather rudely the people questioning them.

Capcom just built a horrible air around them.

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BrightNeko said:
I think the unique bit about MML3 was the way it was teased and how long we had to wait simply for the tease. This is what people are upset over along with a few days later they announce rehash fighter 3 ultimate edition with characters that were originally meant to be DLC. The Street fighter and RE hate is probably due to how the people at comic-con were handling the fans that were mad at it getting canned. They kept making comments on RE: Operation raccoon city, Street fighter 4, and tekken X street fighter flat out ignoring rather rudely the people questioning them.

Capcom just built a horrible air around them.

You should have been around for Sonic X-treme. That game was teased for years before finally being cancelled.

Also, I never heard about that at Comic-con. Is there video of it?

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The live streams from comic-con should be recorded and show it happening unless they covered it up that with trailers and gameplay.

Was sonic x-treme really like that? ._. I hardly heard anything about it back then though that might be cause I was a nintendo kid.

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BrightNeko said:
The live streams from comic-con should be recorded and show it happening unless they covered it up that with trailers and gameplay.

Was sonic x-treme really like that? ._. I hardly heard anything about it back then though that might be cause I was a nintendo kid.

It started as Sonic-16 on the Genesis and died as Sonic PC. I realize now it isn't really right to say it was teased for years, but from 1996 until mid 1997 it was being hyped as Sonic's first 3D outing.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
point is, words have NO tone i see no attack on Megaman Legend 3 case, also thx for the reminder the Earthbound 64 was looking sexy
frown.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound 64 was more or less resurrected as Earthbound 3 on GBA. From articles i've read and comparison pics on sites like Unseen64.net, they reused concepts from the game and used them in the GBA version. So we more or less DID in fact get the game, though considerably later than we expected. I like the sprite based look better than the low polygon and low quality textures of the N64 version anyways. The best i can say about EB64 is that it would have at least given the N64 an advantage in terms of RPG's (something it lacked in general).

Sonic Xtreme went through true development hell. It was essentially developed by a US-based division of SEGA and the platform it was on (as well as the concept itself) changed MANY times. It was for Genesis, then 32x, then Sega Saturn, then PC. History is amazing for it. In the end, i actually think the real kick in the pants was when Sega of Japan pulled the plug and deemed it of too low quality for release (especially after so many rewrites and restructuring). I can't disagree either, what little we've seen of it indicates that it COULD be a fun game with enough polish, but its current forms lack polish and don't look like they're that fun to play. It should be noted that there are still fans in the Sonic fan game community who are recreating the game using newer and more polished engines (so fans may get a small taste of it someday). Many of the elements that were in Xtreme were later used in Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast (i've noticed some little elements that it inherited) or other games.

Megaman Legends 3 is sort of another issue entirely. First, Inafune left early on. He was one of the only people even keeping the game alive, so it fell apart after he departed. He was very unhappy at Capcom and didn't like the decisions they imposed on him (stifling creativity). Capcom itself doesn't seem to value Megaman at all as a mascot anymore. He's not as profitable as 20 different versions of the same Street Fighter, or their constant milking of action heavy (survival horror lacking) Resident Evil games. I believe Megaman itself is in some amount of trouble. Legends 3 isn't the only canceled game in the franchise lately, Universe was as well. I worry about Megaman entirely, not just a single game but the entire franchise. The only upcoming MM games currently scheduled are some Gameboy VC games (just emulations of the original Megaman series on GB). We'll see what happens. It's more worrisome than the cancellation of a single game though. Capcom seems to dislike the entire series (along with its fans).

Ssx9

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
koimayeul said:
point is, words have NO tone i see no attack on Megaman Legend 3 case, also thx for the reminder the Earthbound 64 was looking sexy
frown.gif
This.

Btw, you could have put a better title in there. Cause all I see is a rage towards the Legends 3 cancellation threads.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one thinks that Megaman Legends 3 is unique in that it was canceled, it's the way they hyped it up before-hand and the reason they gave.

It's like they deliberately gave us hope only to take it away at the last second.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In the "could have been" files, there's the game that probably would have made Color Dreams have a lot longer life than they did with their unauthorized NES games: Hellraiser. They had the license, and some real ambition, but it all fell apart. A fairly good page for the story behind the game can be found Here

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...I can think of 2 DS games that I was looking forward to that got canned.....

Gauntlet DS, which even had a demo through the DS Download station.
[youtube]86onKcJ8yX0[/youtube]

Raid Over The River, less fanfare for this one, but I wanted it. It was a shmup which is my kind of gaming.
[youtube]JXbJmLepRzs[/youtube]

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else here remember George Romero's City of the Dead? It was supposed to be a survival horror fps where you play as a survivor of the zombie plague trying to find sanctuary. You would have companions with you, and if they got infected, you would have to choose between killing them immediately or letting them live a while longer, which would risk you getting infected.

land-of-the-dead3_thumb.jpg
927719_20050518_screen003.jpg

There were a lot of images released of the game (it was going to come out for the last generation of consoles, if I remember correctly), and it was even featured on an issue of Game Informer.

Then the game just disappeared. No news about it surfaced for months, and it eventually turned out that the publisher had just cancelled it quietly. It's a shame, really; I think the concept had a lot of potential.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol +1