Cancelled Prince of Persia concept gameplay is rediscovered after being on YouTube for 8 years

At one point, we almost got a new Prince of Persia game, which may shock series fans who have been waiting years to see a another entry in the Prince of Persia saga. In 2012, a YouTube video had gone live, showing what was to be Prince of Persia: Redemption, the latest game in the franchise. It apparently sat, unseen for years, until this week, where fans discovered it and began sharing the cinematic gameplay trailer that no one had discussed. Apparently, it had been a pitch to Ubisoft in the form of a pre-rendered trailer to showcase what the game could look like. However, the company decided not to pick up on the concept, as we can tell by the fact that the game never reached completion or released.

A former Ubisoft developer, Christopher Prelot, claims that they had worked as a level designer for a cancelled Prince of Persia game during the years of 2010 and 2011, meaning they likely worked on this trailer. Another Ubisoft employee, still with the company--Jonathon Cooper--said that this was created by some of the current For Honor team, and would eventually go on to inspire Ubisoft's team behind Assassin's Creed III. He also stated the following about the franchise in general:

Sadly Ubisoft are generally quicker to cancel Prince of Persia games than others IPs because AFAIK original creator Jordan Mechner still holds license rights so the profit margins are lower. Would love to see a new one though. I've always wanted a PoP set in contemporary Iran.

If you check the YouTube video itself, you can also see a comment dated 2 years ago, from Marc-Andre Belleau, Ubisoft Montreal's technical designer, who incredulously asked, "where did you get that?!" in regards to the footage.

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it literally was never about the combat.
Jordan Mechner (the creator of Prince of Persia) got really upset when they added more depth to it and blood on Warrior Within.
Again, you're coming from a place of personal preference. This statement hardly addresses the point that a game pitch has to have segments dedicated to showing off the planned in-game mechanics. Since this is going in circles though, there's no real point in continuing

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Again, you're coming from a place of personal preference. This statement hardly addresses the point that a game pitch has to have segments dedicated to showing off the planned in-game mechanics. Since this is going in circles though, there's no real point in continuing
so the author wishes are my personal opinion? ok, contrarian.

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
I've always seen Assassin's Creed as a spiritual sequel to the 3D Prince of Persia series. Not sure if it's exactly the same inhouse studio/teams from Ubisoft developing it, but there are way too many similarities gameplaywise.
if I recall, that's how AC series came to be, it was originally going to be another PoP game

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I totally disagree.

Assasin's Creed III is the best Assasin's Creed title.

AC went downhill with AC3, AC2 & Brotherhood were the peak of the franchise, the writers left and we got this shitty AC3 scenario, also the AC3 gameplay just does not cut it for me... Now the franchise is an eternal re-ash of the same shit and the scenario never advances...

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's have positive feedback people, this could be a "deadpool" type test to see if consumers really want Prince of Persia to come back again

LOL though that another Prince of Persia concept was destroyed yet again, by Assassins Creed.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let's have positive feedback people, this could be a "deadpool" type test to see if consumers really want Prince of Persia to come back again

LOL though that another Prince of Persia concept was destroyed yet again, by Assassins Creed.
"Assassin's Creed" = big money.

I use " because as someone else has rightly pointed out, the only real AC games were I, II and Brotherhood. + III, imho.

The rest are just cash grabz.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

100% honestly, I do not take any modern "AC" game seriously one bit.

I know that I, II and Brotherhood were the only real ones. I just like III so much that I personally include it too, although strictly speaking I suppose it should not really be included according to my and many other people's proper rules.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
"Assassin's Creed" = big money.

I use " because as someone else has rightly pointed out, the only real AC games were I, II and Brotherhood. + III, imho.

The rest are just cash grabz.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

100% honestly, I do not take any modern "AC" game seriously one bit.

I know that I, II and Brotherhood were the only real ones. I just like III so much that I personally include it too, although strictly speaking I suppose it should not really be included according to my and many other people's proper rules.

Black Flag was pretty good...especially the sailing parts...that's when I believed it plateaued.

Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fact that this video just exploded within one week really shows that there are still a lot of people that'd want another (good) pop game

I mean, if you think about it, Assassin's Creed is kind of a successor to PoP. The Assassins were a real thing from the Middle East that were going against the Crusaders from Europe as depicted in the first game, minus all the Ancient Aliens and weird "genetic memory" shit IRL...unless you think like this guy:

Tatsuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if you think about it, Assassin's Creed is kind of a successor to PoP. The Assassins were a real thing from the Middle East that were going against the Crusaders from Europe as depicted in the first game, minus all the Ancient Aliens and weird "genetic memory" shit IRL...unless you think like this guy:

Wasn't actually revealed that the first Assassin's Creed was supposed to be another Prince of Persia title but during development it just took its own identity and decided to create another series?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't actually revealed that the first Assassin's Creed was supposed to be
another Prince of Persia title but during development it just took its own identity and decided to create another series?

It'd make sense, considering how much it borrows from said series!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4