Hacking ** CAUTION ** - Nintendo Now Banning Physical Game Carts

Evictor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the hell is wrong with you I wnat to be able to use home brew and play on line, i dont want to need my carts all the time plus there is a very resonable excuse for using downloaded roms if your internet speed is faster than your dump speed and it takes time and interaction
I don't think you understand. The ban comes from playing backups online. It has nothing to do with homebrew. Nintendos detection method revolves around a games individual identity. Nothing else at this point.

Reactions: Hozu and jakibaki

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is bad news there are a ton of people who buy used games if it were up to gamestop it'd be everyone now you have to check every single used game to make sure it works online hopefully before paying for it.

This scenario is not that likely and here is why. Someone is going to have to dump a cart and then not remove its cert, which everyone knows they should do, and then post it. I game simply chancgin hands or being rented is not going ti get banned. So few people are going to dump carts and sell them so this just isn’t a big issue at all.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Used games are going to be a minefield. I will have to ask to try the cart before buying.

I truly doubt it 20+mil Switch and thousands of people running CFW and very few messing with dumping their own games.

Not when the original cartridge owner dumped it and sold as used for someone else and both are detected playing online, even if not at same time.

If the person just sold the cartridge as used and never dumped it before that, the person who buy that cartridge will be ok.

The scene is such a micro small % of the entire userbase. I anyone who dumps a cart, uses ithe dump without stripping the cert and sells it is a dumb a$$ douche. So the tiny amount of people doing CfW x numbet of dumb asses is pretty small number.

It's total bullshit, though.
No longer will you be able to pick up a hard-to-find, discontinued game from your local used game seller.
Nintendo is making game collecting nearly impossible.
Again, total bullshit.

You are blowing it way out of proportion. First the cart cert only effects a game if it has online play. Which as we know the vast majority of N games do not. Second is piracy is a little itty bitty part of the market these days very few people will bother dumping and reselling games.

You still need an unauthorized method (homebrew) to inject the save. Hacking always comes with a risk and we can't say for sure yet what's safe and what's not.

I think N wil be very hostile to gamesave hacking because Pokemon is so huge and can be so negatively effected by it.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

jramirex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget this is just the start. For all we know Nintendo could be also flagging accounts or Switches using pirated copies. The best way to fight anti anti-piracy is a mass ban to create confusion. Harder to detect what caused the bans that way.

Believ3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so those of you who have dumped their own carts with certs, headers etc have no problem playing online via sx os right ?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is bad news there are a ton of people who buy used games if it were up to gamestop it'd be everyone now you have to check every single used game to make sure it works online hopefully before paying for it.
They shouldn't be affected, as that cart's cert isn't being used simultaneously by multiple people.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Pirate all you want, I don't care, but you're an idiot if you actually try to play public dumps online.
so to you and to them other guys here.
i plan to use the sx os thingie and may run some 'backups'
as long as i keep my switch on airplane mode it is safe from being banned ?

and if i were to want to use my original fw and boot into it, and use my original games will i then be safe online ?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
so to you and to them other guys here.
i plan to use the sx os thingie and may run some 'backups'
as long as i keep my switch on airplane mode it is safe from being banned ?

and if i were to want to use my original fw and boot into it, and use my original games will i then be safe online ?
As long as you're in airplane mode, you can't be banned. But I wouldn't recommend you to go online again until we know more about what's safe and what isn't. Maybe information from using the CFW will be sent to Nintendo when you boot in OFW and go online. EmuNAND might fix this issue in the future.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
As long as you're in airplane mode, you can't be banned. But I wouldn't recommend you to go online again until we know more about what's safe and what isn't. Maybe information from using the CFW will be sent to Nintendo when you boot in OFW and go online. EmuNAND might fix this issue in the future.
pretty much, got it.
will just wait things out, maybe we could get some sort of homebrew like (psninja? i dont remember the name.)
but it was some app on ps3 where it would wipe all the logs/etc. of your system.

maybe something like that would be good for switch, in case you wanted to go online, you use that app to clear all traces of the cfw and then boot into your official fw.
and be safe online.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
maybe something like that would be good for switch, in case you wanted to go online, you use that app to clear all traces of the cfw and then boot into your official fw. and be safe online.
Yeah, that would be great. We might get such a tool in the future. For now, we can only use the clear log function in hekate. But SciresM stated that this isn't enough and there's still the risk that some information won't be deleted.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont want to need my carts all the time plus there is a very resonable excuse for using downloaded roms if your internet speed is faster than your dump speed and it takes time and interaction

Those are things you might want, do you think you have legal protection to protect that?

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think you understand. The ban comes from playing backups online. It has nothing to do with homebrew. Nintendos detection method revolves around a games individual identity. Nothing else at this point.
fuck off he said he wanted people playing with a modified console online banned homebrew falls under that twat

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
...doesn't this just affect people who go online with BBB dumps, since the certs are nulled? Haven't heard from anyone who was banned with his own cert and own private dump. I doubt Nintendo would ban legit game cards (and they haven't done that on the 3DS). This will not be "bad for the used market", that's just fear mongering. I doubt that would be legal and Nintendo would get a massive backslash.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious. On the one hand this kind of seems like that online pass business (something technically OK but nobody ever made a good argument for doing so) but on the other it does seem to risk people not even vaguely connected to any kind of wrongdoing being caught up in the net.
Similarly there was once a model proposed for media lending wherein you had a key you had to keep private or within trusted hands, should it be found in public then it would be revoked.

I am not entirely sure what to think. Certs tied to game carts is a useful trick for them but they could play this too harshly.

yea cuz a 100 to 1000 bans will make a big impact on games that sell millions of copies.
VGChartz I know but
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/game...astupdate=0&showlastupdate=1&showothersales=0
We are just out of the top 10 worldwide sales before we dip below 1 million.
If they further narrow it by region as well... false positives will become a thing that could trouble legit users.

Of course there are more... shall we say black hat methods that might be interesting here.

"plug your pokemon cart in this here terminal to get a legendary"

Tbh this is better for devs and Nintendo
They only get money from new copies sales
But second hand... basically everything is a known market and has been forever. I always found it odd that devs would cry over such things, not as much as people actually taking them at their word though.
Or if you prefer while I am not unconcerned with the fate of Nintendo and various developers it is a rather distant concern compared to myself and those people playing games. I don't know if I can make I would rather see a thousand guilty men go free than a single innocent one troubled type statement here but it ain't far off.

On the other hand if people then want to consider second hand games worthless then I will quite happily pay a pittance and end up with a sweet game collection.

Used games are going to be a minefield. I will have to ask to try the cart before buying.
Which will probably work until said test (if done on private hardware) sees the certs being snaffled in the process.

[various comments on the amount of switch hackers]
What numbers are we expecting for Switch hacking? Right now it is all up in the air but once it crystallises the barrier to entry is rather low

Reactions: ghorricks

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It is possible for someone to enter random data as their header and get some poor persons legit cart banned. Rip that guy.

I know the odds are astronomical.

dashkiller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
i think its not true "2124-4025" is not a cartridge cert ban. i got this with my org cartridge backup also, and the cert work 100% with the cartridge insert but not as backup, its more a "sxos-mount" issue. go spam sx and not make here ban panic

Same for me, cannot go online with my own made backups (dumped with cert) using TX.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My cynical side thinks they might've found a way to affect the second hand market in a small (but legal?) way. Let's face it, their accountants care way more about the massive "lost" revenue from people selling used games compared to piracy (which only the lawyers care about).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, like a cat gta?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Reminds me of a similar game called "Neko Atsume", similar to Nintendogs but you look after cats.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, wasnt there an official nintendogs game with cats for the 3ds?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ill have no wifi for a bit so see ya later
    +2
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Gross. lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Ok seeya.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man goes to the doctor because his boner wont go down. As he is laying in the hospital bed, with his thing propped up in the air, a fly is flying around and landing on the tip and bothering him, so he calls in the nurse. The nurse comes in, swats at the fly but can't quite reach it, so she climbs his boner to get better aim. After a few tries of swatting and sliding back down, she says sorry I cant get it. He says keep going, a few more tries, and I can shoot the fly down.
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Can I get his ☎️ # :shy::blush:
    +2
    oowpf What a work out it would be to help the guy get back down to normal :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't know why pizza hut has fries now
    You're joking right?
    But also by the same token, I wouldn't mind if they had potato wedges instead :)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Taco bell, and Mcdonalds both sold pizza, so its fair
    I knew of Taco Bell doing so, but Mickey Dees?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    yea years ago, small personal pizzas
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    McDonald's pizza was pretty good 🥰
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pepsi owns Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, so that made since Pizza hut pizza was sold in Taco bells.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pepsi, and it's companies, did not pull out of Russia like most did, even tho they orig said they would, so I boycott them. (Except when drunk at 2am and Taco bell is only place open.)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking 4 wings and a small pan is $9
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Plus delivery and tax...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I go and get it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I go and get it