Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone test the N64 to Switch adapter with a TransferPak and a GB pokemon game? I have everything but this adapter, and I live in Brazil, it's difficult to get this type of accessory here, if someone has a way to test it, it will be interesting to know if the game recognizes the TransferPak with the game.

https://www.mayflash.com/product/n64_controller_adapter_mf103.html

I don't have the hardware to test it, but I can 100% tell you that wont work. Why? It still comes down to a emulator issue. The NSO N64 emu code still need to know how to read a Transferpack. It being hardware with that test make no difference. Well, it does make a different, just in the wrong direction. It's less likely to access and read the hardware from that setup than the software/data only way it otherwise would normally.

It's been a while since I looked at the relevant decomp, but the Transferpak support was litterally like this. "if (TransferPak == SELECTED) { }". The key part being the { } that is litterally blank. It's not coded to do anything with transferpaks.

I think I've found the solution to this issue: NSO GBA seems to demand a precise ROM size. If a 64mb/8MB ROM ends up being a single byte larger as a result of a hack, then it needs to be expanded (with zeroes) to 128mb/16MB, and so on. Credit to rolen47 over on reddit for the solution (I can't yet link the post, but you can find it in /r/romhacking). I used XSE, apparently favored by the Pokemon nerds, to expand my FE6 ROM which had previously been impossible to get to work, but apparently you could get the same outcome with a simple batch script, as rolen47 suggests.

Please add this information to the FAQ! I wouldn't mind taking the time to ping everyone in this thread who's been having the same problem, because I know how happy they'll be to hear the solution. I assume I can just quote all of them in one reply or something?

Thats basically 100% what I was saying. And its basically how it is with ALL these emu's. Not just GBA. ROM sizes need to be rounded to a valid size. Even 1kb off is not a valid size.

The odd thing is how GBA specifically is ending up with such off size hacks. I'm used to hacks/translations being done more, well... professionally isn't the right term... Just... Not so poorly and half-assed.

This isn't something CaVE should have to account for. I don't with any other system. But... if you can show me proof of this being the issue with SEVERAL hacked games not working, then working when size fixed... Then I'll try to do something.

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tutorial:

"Transfer Pak Workaround" for Pokemon Stadium | Nintendo Switch Online

Hey everyone! This is my first "tutorial" here, so my apologies if the writing and formating don't fit some quality standards. But, I'm happy to do it and was encouraged by @DarkAkuma .

Description:
The purpose of the the following guide is to make use of a combination of tools and files in order to play the recently released Pokemon Stadium for the Nintendo Switch Online with Pokemon from the Gameboy games (Red/Blue/Yellow), as used to be possible via the Transfer Pak feature on the Nintendo 64 (not present on NSO version).

- Nintendo Switch running CFW/with access to homebrew (I'm running the lastest Atmosphere version).
- Nintendo Switch Online Nintendo 64 app installed and updated (so Pokemon Stadium shows up).
- DBI Homebrew app installed (recommended to manage save files).
- Project 64 Emulator for Windows.
- Pokemon Stadium N64 game (I used the 1.0 version, but I don't think it matters).
- NRage Input Plugin for Project 64 (to use Transfer Pak feature with the emulator, 'cause the default settings don't have it).
- Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Gameboy game.
- Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Gameboy Save File (Yellow version .SAV format used. This save was not made by me, I found it online, so I'm not responsible for the Pokemon moves and stuff like that).
- Cave Database Manager (to convert save files. ED64-Saveswap also works).
- USB cable.

1. Download and install the emulator.
  2. Download NRage Input and place the DLL file into the root of Project 64 installation folder.
  3. Open Project 64 and go to "Options > Configuration > Plugins". If NRage input was placed correctly, select "N-Rage..." option within the Input (controller) dropdown. Apply/OK.

View attachment 364724View attachment 364725

4. Go to "Options" again but now select "Input Settings".

View attachment 364728

5. Keep the "Controller 1" selected at the top of the new window, and open the "Controller Pak" tab bellow. Mark the "rawdata" checkbox and select "Transfer Pak" in the dropdown.

View attachment 364734

6. Browse your Pokemon Gameboy game and respective save file (you can use mine if you're using yellow) and save.

1. Run Pokemon Stadium with Project 64. When you see this screen with a Game Pak indication, it means your Gameboy ROM and Savefile have been detected.

View attachment 364741

2. Proceed to the Pokemon Lab and select the available GB Pak.

View attachment 364742

3. If, like me, you don't care about the organization, skip to nº 5, since on NSO it will not matter anyway. If you do, here you can organize your Boxes and Party with the Pokemon from the GB Pak. So, do as you please. The SAV already has the Pokemon organized in different boxes, according to their level, but you can redo it however you want.

View attachment 364744View attachment 364745

4. Go to any Cup or the Gym Leader and open the Registration area to register your Pokemon. This is what really matters, because the registered Pokemon and the only ones going to the NSO version when we move on. None of the boxes or the GB Pak organization will be accessible on the Switch. You cannot use the Lab on the NSO version, only on the emulator.

View attachment 364746View attachment 364748View attachment 364749

5. After you register your Pokemon (remember to do it on every cup, because of the level difference), make sure that everything is saved (always select "Save And Quit" options) and now you can close the game and the emulator.

1. Open the Project 64 installation folder, and grab your savefile in the "Save" folder. It'l probably be a ".fla" format file. You can use my FLA save too (here) if you want and don't care too much about the teams I made (there's no progress there aside from the pokemon transfer and registration).

2. Open Cave Database Manager and create/open a NSO 64 database just to open up the menus on the top. Go to "Tools > SRAM > Save RAM to cartridge.sram".

View attachment 364763

3. You will be prompted to select a file to convert. Pick the ".fla" format file you grabbed from Project 64 folder before. After the conversion is done, you'll see a confirmation message that a "cartridge.sram" file has been placed in the same folder as the source file.
    View attachment 364764View attachment 364766

4. If you choose to convert using ED64-Saveswap, it's also simple. Just open it and select the .fla file, keep all boxes checked and click "convert". Rename it "cartridge.sram" manually and you're done.
    View attachment 364773

1. On your Nintendo Switch, open the Homebrew Menu (hold R while opening a game).
  2. Open DBI application and select "Run MTP Responder" at the bottom, and plug it to your computer wit the USB cable.
    View attachment 364767

3. Once your Switch is detected by your computer, navigate to "Saves > Installed Games > Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online > [your profile folder] > saves > N-4590_e. Here you should see a cartridge.sram file already in place, that's your unmodded save (backup if you want). If you don't see the numeric folder or the file, open the game once and do like a sound setting adjustment to make sure a savefile is created (that's what I did).
    View attachment 364768View attachment 364771View attachment 364772

4. Replace the existing cartridge.sram with the one you converted using Cave Database Manager or ED64-Saveswap (check if the name matches exactly).

5. Disconnect the Switch from the PC (press B on DBI to shut down MTP and go back).

6. Profit!

Hope I made it simple enough to understand. Any feedback about it is appreciated. Let us know if it worked out for you. :)
it's cool that this is an option for a save file through the game very neat! :)

Previous News (05-26-23)

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its not a popular app, but... this released 2 days ago.

CaVE is now updated to support it. Like the last update, this isn't available via auto update download. You need to redownload the CaVE rar.

Worth mentioning... With this update, Genesis has recieved a change like NES. In that the default xtx.z images have been replaced with PNGs. CaVE itself will still use xtx.z for the time being as its still supported. I have seen no issue with this change, but that doesn't mean there are none.

War Destroyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every so often, an update makes one of the Nintendo Online services hang up on launch. Looks like the meta data changes when there is an update on Nintendo's end, and the Database manager just needs to catch up.
What is the best solution as far as downgrading to avoid the hang ups. For example, I reverted the Cave Database to a v6.3, then reinstalled the Nintendo Online software, and installed the v6.3 update nsp and yet it still hangs up? I've reverted to several nsp versions and try aligning w/ the corresponding Database update on Cave but all attempts lead to hang up on launch. (i have checked if the update works normally w/o a custom database and it does so that can be ruled out)

I got them all back except the NES. What's the best way to get this back on track?

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since GB and GBA came out I am very grateful for this tool.

Currently playing Legend of Zelda "prequel": The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Romhack translated of course.

Failing to find a box-art to my liking, I went with own image edit.

update: added some more box covers for translated roms

Attachments

• MarioPicross2-cover.jpg
    MarioPicross2-cover.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Donkey Kong  Land 3 GBC (J) cover.jpg
    Donkey Kong Land 3 GBC (J) cover.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 40
  • The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls-cover.jpg
    The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls-cover.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by spkatsi,
Reactions: hippy dave

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ive been following this thread and was wondering if anyone has gotten Killer Instinct Gold working? This has been the one and only title ive really been waiting for. I can see that it doesnt seem to get through the boot as indicated in the compatibility list. So is anyone working on this still?

Switchgamer123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ganbare Goemon games aren't booting on the SNES App i followed all instructions what happened? I choose the game and it just doesn't start but when a choose an official nso game it loads normally

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ive been following this thread and was wondering if anyone has gotten Killer Instinct Gold working? This has been the one and only title ive really been waiting for. I can see that it doesnt seem to get through the boot as indicated in the compatibility list. So is anyone working on this still?
It's not even playable through retroarch, don't hold your breath

Switchgamer123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ganbare Goemon games aren't booting on the SNES App i followed all instructions what happened? I choose the game and it just doesn't start but when a choose an official nso game it loads normally
Nvm... I was following the wrong guide. I need to follow the super famicom guide since they're all japanese only games. Will post again if I run into more problems.

Segtendo

#TeamMarie
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Heyo. Been having an issue with the program lately.

Every time I've been trying to save some changes, the program hangs and eventually crashes. I have zero idea what is causing this.

I am on the latest version of the program as well (1.4.6.1), if it makes a difference.

Akumara

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has anyone got a spreadsheet with good games missing from NSO collection which is up to date? Or like a complete sheet of the full romset vs. what is available in nso?

serenity42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize in advance if the answers to this were already in the thread but searching led me nowhere.

I was hoping to add Rogue Squadron to the N64 and the translation of Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 to GBC.

Rogue Squadron does not have a compatibility patch on the linked google doc so am I correct in assuming that means it will not work?

I also saw the comment above talking about patches and rom size. So does that mean the translated PTCG2 wouldn't work?

I know I can easily download other emulators but I really was hoping to run both of these in the NSO versions just to be cleaner.

serenity42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try the translation of Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 to GBC ?
This works fine to me.
I hadn't even tried it yet after I saw the post about the roms needing to be the same size. Thanks for letting me know it works though I'll go give that a shot.

I'd still love for rogue squadron to work. I own it on PC but I've never been able to get it to work right even after following every possible guide I can't get it to work with a gamepad. Can emulate the n64 one on pc just fine but figured it would be nice to have on the switch. Tried retroarch and it's unplayable there.

javier_himura

Trophies
XP
Country
I am trying to inject Pokemon Red and Blue with the colorized patch, but when I open the game with the NSO App, it always says that the game can only be played on a GameBoy Color or Game Boy Advance; it seems that NSO tries to open the rom as GameBoy game instead of Color game. Is there any way to force the rom to work as a GBC from? The patched rom works on mGBA, so I don't think I patched it wrong.

PD: Nevermind, I find the option to change the platform to GameBoy Color, and it works now. I also realized the tool didn't set the game for GBC only because the rom I was injecting had gb extension, but after applying the color patch, I should have renamed the rom to .gbc. The patch turns the gb rom into a gbc only rom, but I forgot to change the extension.

Last edited by javier_himura,

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm wondering a bit about Preset ID's and SFROM tool.
Reading through the threads I see it was changed to Game Code a few releases back.

I'm assuming that its a simple hex to decimal conversion when looking at the compatibility list and the drop down options in SFROM tool. I checked a couple of games, and they seemed to match this way, but I just wanted to confirm that this is correct, or if the Game Code list was changed at some point.

Oby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkAkuma Could you please upload the DTZ file for JP N64 NSO Custom Robo to your spreadsheet? I am trying to get the fan translation running on NA N64 NSO App and am not sure how to go about extracting that on my own.

If anybody knows how and what tools to use, let me know. Thanks~

Edit: Got this sorted out, but would still be great if the file can be put on the spreadsheet for others to use.

Last edited by Oby,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ack ack ack!!!