Homebrew CaVE Database Manager - A SNES, NES, N64, Genesis Switch Online modding App

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My first thought is sigpatches. Try installing the latest from https://sigmapatches.coomer.party/
Everything was already supposed to be up to date, I downloaded and copied the files from the link just in case, but it still doesn't work.

So my only guesses are that there is a difference in the Cotton Boomerang NSPs, and somehow that's significant? Or your prod keys is wrong/bad?

I tried to use Cotton 2 as base too but it doesn't work either. It might be of interest that the Cotton Guardian Force game never ever worked on my Switch, no matter where I get the file from, nor if it is NSP or XCI. Another game that I was never able to launch no matter the source is Chocobo Every Buddy btw. It might be related ?

As for the prod keys, well I got it with Lockpick RCM and followed a tutorial, nothing seemed to go wrong, but I might as well just try again just in case. EDIT : OMG I reripped the prod keys and it works ! Can't believe it lol. The game seems to have no sound though, maybe I should try another copy of the game.

Last edited by Ligeia,
Reactions: hippy dave

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to use Cotton 2 as base too but it doesn't work either. It might be of interest that the Cotton Guardian Force game never ever worked on my Switch, no matter where I get the file from, nor if it is NSP or XCI. Another game that I was never able to launch no matter the source is Chocobo Every Buddy btw. It might be related ?

As for the prod keys, well I got it with Lockpick RCM and followed a tutorial, nothing seemed to go wrong, but I might as well just try again just in case. EDIT : OMG I reripped the prod keys and it works ! Can't believe it lol. The game seems to have no sound though, maybe I should try another copy of the game.

Just checked again, and mine has sound. Effects and music. So I don't know what would be up with that. I didn't go past the start and options screens though.

Knowing it was the prod.keys, and now thinking about it... I don't know how it would be THAT. I would figure there would be an error during NSP generation if it was I guess. I wonder what the issue was. Maybe that you selected a dev.keys instead? Or a significantly older copy you had on your HDD?

I suppose I would love clarification if you can figure that out. Because it might be worth having cave check for something in the keys files to verify its correct, or throw an informative error popup when not.

Either way, I'm happy to hear it works!

If you are sticking with v1.4.6, then be warned.
  • Ini selection does not work.
  • The Advanced Settings config page can sometimes bug out and end up completely blank.
  • Using Guardian Force (0100C67015270000) as a source is broken.
  • The 3-in-1 NSP (0100094014BE4000. It can be mistaken for a Guardian Force NSP.) is not supported. The XCI is fine.
  • There can be issues with the emu menu not being visible.

Reactions: nWo and Ligeia

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the help guys !

I suppose I would love clarification if you can figure that out. Because it might be worth having cave check for something in the keys files to verify its correct, or throw an informative error popup when not.

I dumped by first prod keys file a few days ago, so it's not about it being too old I guess. I don't know what could have possibly gone wrong, maybe the file got corrupted when I transfered it using ftpd pro ? Anyway I'm 100% sure I used prod keys and not dev keys. And I tried several things besides Cave, I tried Create Saturn NSP and Ultimate Switch Hack Script, and the result was the same. NSP forwarder injector also gave me the same result and now it works as well with the new prod keys file.

For the record Toshinden Remix works great it seems, I did several battles without issue. Toshinden URA freezes on main menu it seems, I'll try other sources. Dark Savior seems to work fine, and my second copy of Saturn Bomberman won't launch at all.

Here are my custom thumnails btw (I'm not fond of just using a plain Saturn cover) :

Battle Arena Toshinden Remix - Copie.png
Battle Arena Toshinden URA.png
Dark Savior.png
Saturn Bomberman.png

Last edited by Ligeia,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help guys !

I dumped by first prod keys file a few days ago, so it's not about it being too old I guess. I don't know what could have possibly gone wrong, maybe the file got corrupted when I transfered it using ftpd pro ? Anyway I'm 100% sure I used prod keys and not dev keys. And I tried several things besides Cave, I tried Create Saturn NSP and Ultimate Switch Hack Script, and the result was the same. NSP forwarder injector also gave me the same result and now it works as well.

For the record Toshinden Remix works great it seems, I did several battles without issue. Toshinden URA freezes on main menu it seems, I'll try other sources. Dark Savior seems to work fine, and my second copy of Saturn Bomberman won't launch at all.

Here are my custom thumnails btw (I'm not fond of just using a plain Saturn cover) :

In the FAQ section of the opening post of this thread is a link to a community made resource of images. They are generally a cross between the US box image, with the Japanese box style, since the Japanese images are closer to being square, while the US ones are much taller than they are wide. I think they generally look quite nice!

Now that I know the more proper names of those Toshinden games... they ARE on the list, but Battle Arena Toshinden Ultimate Revenge Attack is not listed at working. Check that list I linked before (and in the FAQ), and feel free to mark things on the public list tab.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In the FAQ section of the opening post of this thread is a link to a community made resource of images. They are generally a cross between the US box image, with the Japanese box style, since the Japanese images are closer to being square, while the US ones are much taller than they are wide. I think they generally look quite nice!

Yeah I've seen it but I don't like having the Saturn logo and everything. I'm very picky when it comes to thumbnails lol, and I like them to look as official as possible. The official Cotton thumbnails, for instance, are not just the saturn covers.

Speaking of thumbnails, it seems it can sometimes mess with the sound ? I mentioned earlier my Saturn Bomberman NSP didn't have sound, I came across the same issue with Golden Axe Duel, and I noticed it seemed to have something to with the thumbnail ! Some kind of png file can cause problems it seems. What I did was make a copy of a png file I knew didn't cause issues, copy the problematic thumbnail on it, save and use this new copy of the thumbnail to create my NSP. And it worked.

I noticed I sometimes had issues with some png files with retroarch as well, for some reason sometimes thumbnails don't show up in the menu and doing what I just explained solved the issue. Maybe it has to do with transparency or something ? I'm not savvy enough to explain this. Sorry to mention retroarch but it is in relation with this NSP sound issue so I guess it's OK.

I added some stuff to the compatibility list btw.

Last edited by Ligeia,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've seen it but I don't like having the Saturn logo and everything. I'm very picky when it comes to thumbnails lol, and I like them to look as official as possible. The official Cotton thumbnails, for instance, are not just the saturn covers.

Speaking of thumbnails, it seems it can sometimes mess with the sound ? I mentioned earlier my Saturn Bomberman NSP didn't have sound, I came across the same issue with Golden Axe Duel, and I noticed it seemed to have something to with the thumbnail ! Some kind of png file can cause problems it seems. What I did was make a copy of a png file I knew didn't cause issues, copy the problematic thumbnail on it, save and use this new copy of the thumbnail to create my NSP. And it worked.

I noticed I sometimes had issues with some png files with retroarch as well, for some reason sometimes thumbnails don't show up in the menu and doing what I just explained solved the issue. Maybe it has to do with transparency or something ? I'm not savvy enough to explain this. Sorry to mention retroarch but it is in relation with this NSP sound issue so I guess it's OK.

I added some stuff to the compatibility list btw.

Yea. To each their own. Thats why options are... optional. Customize it however you want! Your preference for icon images, or even some wallpaper options. You could even go nuts and make custom guide/credit pages, with stuff like instruction booklet type information as some have done.

Icon images... have nothing to do with sound. I cant even fathom how they could be related in a technical sense. If it truly is the case somehow, and not just a coincidence... I can only conclude thats a issue on the CFW level. Not CaVE or the generated NSP. CaVE certainly could possibly be responsible for a sound issue in some way... just not in that exact way. The only way I could see CaVE being responsible in context to ZebraEngine games is maybe the blank Advanced Settings bug happens, you don't realize it, and the Volume on the Sound tab is blank as a result, leading the emu to default it to zero?

I don't know the extent of how that bug effects the final NSP. I would think that with all the Advanced Settings being blank, that it wouldn't boot at all. Those settings are just what settings are available in the INI. CaVE provides defaults for important settings, and if those are now blank... then it wouldn't have those important values.

And yes. I noticed edits when I was changing some formatting up. Thanks! =)

Reactions: nWo

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a way to play the versions with new roms in the Yuzu/Ryujinx emulators?

I take it you mean NSO? Then yes. I believe they will all boot on Yuzu/Ryujinx. I do a bit of my testing with those.

Of course... it's a emulator inside a emulator though. Don't expect a smooth experience. I cant say what runs well enough, as thats hardware dependent. But I can say, don't expect much from N64.

Even if you are talking about Sloop, Hiyoko, Hovercraft or ZebraEngine. They will all run on those emu's. Just to varying degrees of quality.

This all said, this is v1.4.6 though. Going forward, with v1.5+... I won't be officially supporting anything other than Atmoshphere. You will still be able to make stuff work on SXOS and those emu's, but you won't find documentation on it, and I wont be providing support for those.

Reactions: wokacam

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have some more questions if you don't mind :

- am I going to need to remake all my custom NSP files on each Switch firmware update ?

- I noticed DBZ Legends & DBZ Shin Butoden were in green in the list, but I have trouble running these games. Legends freezes when a fight starts (except on CPU vs CPU mode), and Shin Butoden crashes after the controls screen. Are there any specific setting for these two games ? I used the French version of Legends, and I tried 3 different sources for each game.

- sometimes a NSP gets installed with a completely wrong title and thumbnail, it's using data of one the previous games I installed. Is it related to the random game ID ? Maybe the same IDs end up being chosen twice after multiple NSP creations ?

Last edited by Ligeia,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- am I going to need to remake all my custom NSP files on each Switch firmware update ?

No.

- I noticed DBZ Legends & DBZ Shin Butoden were in green in the list, but I have trouble running these games. Legends freezes when a fight starts (except on CPU vs CPU mode), and Shin Butoden crashes after the controls screen. Are there any specific setting for these two games ? I used the French version of Legends, and I tried 3 different sources for each game.

That I cant answer. The list is not originally mine. I have not vetted anything on it. Its a remake of a old, now lost list. If there was a ini needed, or specific settings... I would think they would have been linked. Some of the INI's are lost now too, but I see no evidence those ever had such info.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

- sometimes a NSP gets installed with a completely wrong title and thumbnail, it's using data of one the previous games I installed. Is it related to the random game ID ? Maybe the same IDs end up being chosen twice after multiple NSP creations ?

That is possible... but unlikely... Unless you are making A LOT of NSPs. The random range seems to only be set for about 256 different ID's. I probably felt that was good enough as most would just be making a handful of NSPs, but I could always find a way to increase the count later if needed.

To be sure, you could always look at the file names of the output NSP's themselves, as the title ids should be in the name. I wouldn't be surprised if this was related to your sound + icon image issue though.

@DarkAkuma Does Cave work with the new updates that were released today?

No. And if you are talking about v1.4 specifically, read my Latest News post and/or the OP. v1.4 will no longer be updated. I'll have the update available for v1.5 and my discord community as soon as I can, but I'm not in a rush.

Reactions: Ligeia

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No.

That I cant answer. The list is not originally mine. I have not vetted anything on it. Its a remake of a old, now lost list. If there was a ini needed, or specific settings... I would think they would have been linked. Some of the INI's are lost now too, but I see no evidence those ever had such info.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Thanks, no problem ! There's also Last Bronx that is green on the list but that I can't ever get to launch. Just for info.

Yeah I did go a bit beserk with this Saturn NSP thing, and tried a lot of games :rofl: I tried to reset my Switch and the correct name and icon appeared. Weird ! But it worked out in the end.

Reactions: DarkAkuma

Stealsfromhobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible (or recommended) to replace stock games with a different ROM? Like replacing the Super Metroid with a romhack that changes the controls, for example.
Or would I be better off adding it as another game?

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible (or recommended) to replace stock games with a different ROM? Like replacing the Super Metroid with a romhack that changes the controls, for example.
Or would I be better off adding it as another game?

Possible? Yes. And CaVE supports it. Just right click the stock game in question in the list, and select the "Select New ROM" option or whatever it was in v1.4.

As for recommenced... Hard to say with a blanket statement. I wouldn't recommend doing it for random extensive hacks that completely make the game different. And with N64, you may have issues with the stock dtz not working with your hack. Such hacks, you should just make a new entry for. But if the hack is say, a QOL/Improvement hack that is basically just the normal game, but in a better way you would prefer. Or perhaps a translation patch... that would be fine.

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible? Yes. And CaVE supports it. Just right click the stock game in question in the list, and select the "Select New ROM" option or whatever it was in v1.4.

As for recommenced... Hard to say with a blanket statement. I wouldn't recommend doing it for random extensive hacks that completely make the game different. And with N64, you may have issues with the stock dtz not working with your hack. Such hacks, you should just make a new entry for. But if the hack is say, a QOL/Improvement hack that is basically just the normal game, but in a better way you would prefer. Or perhaps a translation patch... that would be fine.
is the CAVE beta 1.5 able to automatically update the N64 and Game Boy databases? the new updates are out!

Stallone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.5 beta download is suspended for now so I don't know, you're still able to create games in 1.4 but GB go as far as 1.2 and you will not see the games of newest update

invisiblek1d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Why is it that when I create an NSP for Saturn, there's no sound, but the menu of Cotton has sound? I've tried with two different ROMs, and the same thing happens.

Stealsfromhobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cool. I wasn't sure if overwriting stock roms would cause issues later on like when updating the app or something.
Post automatically merged:

This might be outside the scope of this project, but in the future would there be any possibility of changing controls for a game when adding it? I know you can technically rebind them system-wide but that's pretty cumbersome.
Or if someone else has already made a solution like this I'd love to know.

Last edited by Stealsfromhobos,

DarkAkuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. I wasn't sure if overwriting stock roms would cause issues later on like when updating the app or something.
Post automatically merged:

This might be outside the scope of this project, but in the future would there be any possibility of changing controls for a game when adding it? I know you can technically rebind them system-wide but that's pretty cumbersome.
Or if someone else has already made a solution like this I'd love to know.

That is definitely outside the scope of CaVE right now. It's not impossible to see included with CaVE, just unlikely. The NSO emus are designed with "1 control scheme for all games" in mind. The exception is N64, which has a couple schemes. And it even has a file that by all right should be editable for mapping changes, so the point that I made a UI for it. Only to find out... it had absolutely no effect.

The thing with custom mappings is... its probably seen as a nightmare scenario/headache to program for, since the switch is unique in that it has like a dozen controller types and orientations that the devs have to plan for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?