Hacking CGTP on WiiU, "boot.elf" not found

skippyjonjojo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, everyone! I'm trying to get CGTP Revolution on my WiiU (via the Wii Menu on the WiiU), and I'm following the steps correctly (as far as I'm aware) and when I go to the Mii Channel, there's a black screen that reads "FAT Init, boot.elf not found!" and then exits the Mii Channel.

Now, I've tried looking up many videos and looked on many threads and even deleted all the data off my SD Card and re-downloaded it, but every time I get to that step, the screen pops up and I have no idea what to do. Maybe it's the SD Card, maybe it's the directions, or maybe it's just me! Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!:D

Ron_Harrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there, everyone! I'm trying to get CGTP Revolution on my WiiU (via the Wii Menu on the WiiU), and I'm following the steps correctly (as far as I'm aware) and when I go to the Mii Channel, there's a black screen that reads "FAT Init, boot.elf not found!" and then exits the Mii Channel.

Now, I've tried looking up many videos and looked on many threads and even deleted all the data off my SD Card and re-downloaded it, but every time I get to that step, the screen pops up and I have no idea what to do. Maybe it's the SD Card, maybe it's the directions, or maybe it's just me! Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!:D

Edit again...: Just saw it’s possible to overwrite the Mii channel with CTGP, I wouldn’t recommend doing this, instead follow the normal WUPHax guide found here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuphax-v1-1-hacking-vwii-from-wiiu-mode.446786/

If you give that I shot, then install CTGP via the HBC (like they recommmend doing anyways) then I feel like it’ll work just fine. You can probably discard my original comment by now. Hope all this helps.

Edit: I noticed you never mentioned installing the HBC or that the installation of it is what your currently trying to do. I assumed you were following the WUPHax method when I heard you say ‘Mii channel’, is there now a way to only install the CTGP channel without the use of the HBC? As far as I’m aware to install the CTGP channel you still must first have the HBC installed, and then run the CTGP channel setup from there. I almost feel as though you've mixed CTGPs installation instructions with WUPHax’s. Not sure if you already know this, but WUPHax is strictly for installation of the HBC and you need to go get the HackMii installer and put its boot.elf on the root directory of your SD card. That’s the file the program is searching for (again, assuming you’re following the WUPHax instructions), hence why it probably says it can’t be found.

Original comment:
I’ve never heard of this error myself, nor exactly know how to solve it, but like you thought already; I have a feeling it’s most likely an SD card problem, or some conflict with the file system you chose to format the card with. So, I must ask, are you using a SDSC card (a ‘standard’ SD card, usually 2GBs or less), or are you using a SDHC card (4 to 32GBs)? The reason I ask this is because with other exploits such as SmashStack, require use of an SDSC card and won’t work without it, while I know this is because of the games (or the IOS it uses) hardcoded limitation and that the Wii (vWii) menu now supports SDHC card, I feel as though the Mii channel/whatever it gets overwritten with with only supports SDSC cards. I could be very wrong as maybe whatever the Wii menu supports applies to what Wii channels support too, or simply because the program that overwrites the Mii channel actually does support SDHC cards (I’ll have to look more into this myself). I see that the WUPHax page lists no such SD card requirement or file system (other than assuming its FAT32), but I guess it’s worth a try. Sorry I was unable to do more, I’ll contunue to research this myself.

Last edited by Ron_Harrison,

skippyjonjojo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for answering! It means a lot. Anyways, the SD card I was using is 8 GB, so that could be were the error lies, I’ll have to try with a smaller SD card I guess. But to add on (just in case the SD card isn’t the issue), I’m following the instructions that are on the CTGP website, and among those instructions are folders I had to download. In the folders, there was a Homebrew_launcher folder (if I remember correctly, I’ll have to check if I try again). But, like I said before, I’m following the instructions given on the website, and it said nothing about an SD card size, but that could be the issue. I’ll have to find a smaller one and try it again, I guess.

Thank you, once again!

Ron_Harrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for answering! It means a lot. Anyways, the SD card I was using is 8 GB, so that could be were the error lies, I’ll have to try with a smaller SD card I guess. But to add on (just in case the SD card isn’t the issue), I’m following the instructions that are on the CTGP website, and among those instructions are folders I had to download. In the folders, there was a Homebrew_launcher folder (if I remember correctly, I’ll have to check if I try again). But, like I said before, I’m following the instructions given on the website, and it said nothing about an SD card size, but that could be the issue. I’ll have to find a smaller one and try it again, I guess.

Thank you, once again!

No problem, and yeah after I checked the CTGP website myself I saw that there’s now the option to simply overwrite the Mii channel with the CTGP setup application (or channel itself?) instead. I can see how this is feasible since all it seems the program (the one that’s overwritten the Mii channel) is doing, is simply loading a boot.elf found on the SD card. Obviously that doesn’t have to be the HBC’s setup application and can instead be CTGP’s, but if using a different SD card doesn’t work I strongly suggest going through with a regular install of the HBC and then installing CTGP from there.

Last edited by Ron_Harrison,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...