• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Charlottesville killer James Fields found guilty of all charges, faces six life sentences

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 10,345
  • Replies 137
  • Likes 6

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't understand the debate going on here. He's a murder, he got sentenced, the day goes on. I mean, I understand that this brings up the topic of Trump being garbage, but I feel like that should warrant a sperate topic. Trump being a piece of shit is a much bigger topic than just one incident.
(Although it's still worth repeating that Trump is a horrible president and person.)

Reactions: Xzi

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, might want to re-think that statement. The US has never been perfect by any measure, but at least we have yet to attempt genocide. The only 'fine people' in the axis powers were those that refused to follow morally reprehensible orders, and those that tried to assist their fellow man without violence.

The US was founded on the genocide of indigenous people which continues to this day.
We are currently involved in the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians by Isreal and have played roles in many other genocides around the world (Guatemala, Congo, etc).

Fuck fascism and people like Gameboy saying this was a false flag, but if we are to consistent in our opposition to mass murder and authoritarianism, we have to take a long hard look at the role of US imperialism in the world.

Last edited by Whole lotta love,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re: cost paying for the next ?? years vs some kind of lethal injection? Have you actually looked to see how much such a thing runs? Death row is a rather expensive endeavour between all the appeals, costs and whatever else.

All you can do is make racism illegal and hope it all calms down. Free speech is highly overrated.

Free speech is not overrated and I would hate to see anybody prosecuted for simple racist speech. Racist actions on the other hand.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

All you can do is make racism illegal and hope it all calms down. Free speech is highly overrated.
This is insanity right here. People nowadays claim anything and everything is "racism" so thank God that's not an actual thing.. yet.

However, the UN with the Migration Pact which will run on December 10 and 11 will make criticism of migrants a "hate crime" so you'll eventually get what you want, smf.

1984 warned us about the future and now it's showing its face.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Free speech is not overrated and I would hate to see anybody prosecuted for simple racist speech. Racist actions on the other hand

How is speech not an action?

People nowadays claim anything and everything is "racism" so thank God that's not an actual thing.. yet.

People throw around the word "murder" all the time. Traffic was murder, I'll murder him when he gets home. It doesn't stop it being a crime.

1984 warned us about the future and now it's showing its face.

1984 was about thought crime. It shouldn't be used as an excuse to abuse people.

You can think racist thoughts all you want, but neo nazi rallies are not acceptable in any decent society.

Umm no it's not.

It is. Holding free speech above all other rights is ludicrous.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Whole lotta love

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You can think racist thoughts all you want, but neo nazi rallies are not acceptable in any decent society.

Because words don't cause damage, give or take direct threats, intellectual property concerns and the fire in a crowded theatre type thing aka the limitations and not being put above certain other rights.

I am OK with neo nazi rallies. It is always nice when the people attending them save me the trouble figuring out if they need to be on my shithead list.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're in a maximum security prison, then you probably did some fucked up shit to get in there. You pretty much deserve all that is coming to you.

If you value freedom, removal of that freedom for years or life should be enough punishment. If you think it requires torture on top of that, then you don't value freedom nor human integrity much.

Reactions: Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're in a maximum security prison, then you probably did some fucked up shit to get in there. You pretty much deserve all that is coming to you.
A few things.

1) All US prisons rely on torture as punishment. Solitary confinement, rape, violence, financial ruin, and poor/unavailable medical care are all among de jour and de facto forms of torture used by the state. Many prisons enslave their prisoners by paying them $1 an hour for labor. This is not just maximum security prisons.
2) The U.S. justice system is often wrong. Innocent people go to prison every day, even to maximum security prisons.
3) Torturing perpetrators of crimes (and their innocent peers) has no proven benefit to society. It is an extremely fiscally irresponsible way to keep the crime rate up.
4) IMO, the state should not have the right to kill or torture its citizens.

Reactions: CallmeBerto and smf

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because words don't cause damage

They cause damage to the brains of the people who listen and have their own prejudices bolstered. With enough damage they will then go on to cause physical damage.

As I always like to think, maybe instead of decrying how good the life of prisoners are, we strive to make life outside of prison better than prison life?

That doesn't really fit into the american ethos, where it's all about making it for yourself & being beaten with a stick until you do.

That attitude isn't unique to America, it's common for people to wonder why ex prisoners are being looked after. It's because then they will stop offending and start contributing to society. Putting them in prison costs too much money.

Last edited by smf,

guicrith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reading about failed executions and wrongful executions, yeah, just jail people and be done with it.

There is a method that would be 100% successful, use heroin, the really potent kind they use to knockout elephants(carfentanyl), they will be dead in 5 minutes and its painless, this issue was invented solely by drug companys not wanting there drugs associated with killing and the US governments complicity in there greed.

I would rather be executed then spend 1 year in solitary wrongfully convicted, dont know why so many people think a shit life is better than no life, the very fact I ended up there for something I didnt do would mess me up for life and I would likely just kill my self after getting out anyway.

Last edited by guicrith,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

People throw around the word "murder" all the time. Traffic was murder, I'll murder him when he gets home. It doesn't stop it being a crime.

1984 was about thought crime. It shouldn't be used as an excuse to abuse people.

Are neo nazis any different than the groups that originated the "kill whitey" phrase? Or are white people exempt from your proposed "protections" because an extremely small subset of our race holds extreme views? Again, free speech needs to be protected because it's still the most effective weapon against oppressive regimes and special interest groups who want to give themselves more rights than others because things exist in the world tbat hurt their feelings. You can't make people's feelings public policy, sorry. I'll fight to the death about it if necessary.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many people have Nazi's killed?
How many people have "kill white" people killed?
Nazis or modern neo nazis? Modern neo nazis are already very niche, and even fewer of those actually act out their delusions. It's actually kind of funny, groups like ANTIFA keep drawing attention to these fringe groups and actually giving them more power lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT