Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Someone at Romhacking finally took the time to tell me what was "wrong". Below is their answer:
"The problem with your submission is that it is not a patch to be applied to a ROM image. It contain several instances of copyrighted materials. You submission will continue to be rejected until you present us with a patch file that includes ONLY your changes."

Basically, it's file replacement, when they're expecting a "new file" to be applied to a digital copy of the game.

Which is actually quite ironic, since Riivolution patches are primarly meant to be used with retail disc, which I recon led to pretty mean critics towards their creators (who didn't want to "condone" piracy) back in the days...

Since everything had failed, I tried to make a bps patch, which gave me a file of 400 megs (bps basically compares your two WBFS files, and creates a file that enlists all the differences between the two)!

This size is far much more than what Romhacking can host, meaning I have to find a way to host the patch elsewhere anyway : but I think I found a way by replacing "www.dropbox.com" with "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" in the download link.

It does open the file directly, so I guess (?) Romhacking should accept it this time.

The patch has been submitted once again with this method : we'll have to wait for a day or so to see if it's approved. If it isn't, I'll go with a dropbox/google drive link provided in this thread and the trailer description on Youtube.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone at Romhacking finally took the time to tell me what was "wrong". Below is their answer:
"The problem with your submission is that it is not a patch to be applied to a ROM image. It contain several instances of copyrighted materials. You submission will continue to be rejected until you present us with a patch file that includes ONLY your changes."

Basically, it's file replacement, when they're expecting a "new file" to be applied to a digital copy of the game.
A little confused. They are rejecting a riivolution patch because it contains copyrighted files? How does this translation differ from the other translations (yours included) that are riivolution patches? Does it differ? I guess they aren't giving you much info, it'd be nice if they described what the copyright conflicts were.

For comparisons to other recently released translations, I notice Puyo Pop 7 released using a xdelta but Soul Eater does use riivolution so there shouldn't be a problem with it.

Reactions: CAugustusM

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Does this mean there will not be a riivolution patch?
There will be a riivolution patch, mostly because doing otherwise would result in a gigantic bps file.

But it will be hosted outside of Romhacking: if the website accepts the direct download link, there will still be a Romhacking page (same as previous patches I have released, that were too heavy to be hosted on RH).

Otherwise, we'll go with a link here, and under my YouTube trailer (which is ready but not online yet).
Post automatically merged:

A little confused. They are rejecting a riivolution patch because it contains copyrighted files? How does this translation differ from the other translations (yours included) that are riivolution patches? Does it differ? I guess they aren't giving you much info, it'd be nice if they described what the copyright conflicts were.

For comparisons to other recently released translations, I notice Puyo Pop 7 released using a xdelta but Soul Eater does use riivolution so there shouldn't be a problem with it.
I believe their policy has evolved and they didn't go through all their already available patches, or maybe the person who looked at my patch is more strict than others.

But I have faith the direct download link will resolve the issue, let's give them a few hours, it's Saturday! :lol:

LokiCat33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for clarifying! I can probably speak for everyone here and say that the effort is definitely worth it for all of us and we all appreciate it!

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I tried to make a bps patch, which gave me a file of 400 megs (bps basically compares your two WBFS files, and creates a file that enlists all the differences between the two)!
And such patch will be useless for others. Where do we get wbfs file absolutely identical to one that you use?

update: If to do something like this (binary diff/patch), then original iso file should be a file with "specs" as at redump.org database.

Last edited by r1vver,

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This shouldn't be this hard to post a translation, especially for a game Nintendo don't care about.
It doesn't matter if it's for a game a publisher "don't care about", it is still copyrighted material and subject to C&D or potentially something worse.

There's been no such action against a Wii translation (and only one example for any translation) as far as I know. Still, I understand sites being careful. It is just odd in this case because Romhacking.net has hosted these types of patches before.

--------------------

@Brand Newman - as an aside, can you mark this topic as a "Translation"? It has no tags.

Reactions: ChibiMofo

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there! I actually just learned about this today and the fact that I really loved Chibi Robo on GC and have wanted it on Wii for so long... and it's finally almost here has me ecstatic! I just bought myself a Japanese retail copy on Ebay so I can play it soon. (Thankfully my grandma agreed to get it for me for Christmas, 'specially since it'll be arriving around then anyway!)

There was a question I had for the OP, the person working on this project...
I see that there's some issues getting this hosted/put up so others can enjoy but I was curious what the Riivolution patch means. I want to make sure it means I can pop in my soon to have JP disc and just play it from disc?
Is that a rough process or can a noob with Wii/Wii U hacking do it as well?

And also thanks again, I really can't wait for this to be released. This was one of my favorite games as a teen and it warms my heart to see people still care about it. Heck, I'm excited for this new translation that's a blend of official localization I know and brand new translation. It'll be a new experience with this beloved game!

LokiCat33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there! I actually just learned about this today and the fact that I really loved Chibi Robo on GC and have wanted it on Wii for so long... and it's finally almost here has me ecstatic! I just bought myself a Japanese retail copy on Ebay so I can play it soon. (Thankfully my grandma agreed to get it for me for Christmas, 'specially since it'll be arriving around then anyway!)

There was a question I had for the OP, the person working on this project...
I see that there's some issues getting this hosted/put up so others can enjoy but I was curious what the Riivolution patch means. I want to make sure it means I can pop in my soon to have JP disc and just play it from disc?
Is that a rough process or can a noob with Wii/Wii U hacking do it as well?

And also thanks again, I really can't wait for this to be released. This was one of my favorite games as a teen and it warms my heart to see people still care about it. Heck, I'm excited for this new translation that's a blend of official localization I know and brand new translation. It'll be a new experience with this beloved game!
I know I’m not op, but getting a riivolution patch on a game is somewhat easy. All you have to do is: mod your Wii/Wii U, Download Riivolution (and Priiloader in this case to region unlock your Wii) and download the patch files onto an SD card. If you need further help for modding a Wii, you can send me a message separate from this thread!

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, thank you! I knew about Riivolution and have that but I didn't know about Priiloader.
Gonna see if I get that set up for this patch!

dtlux1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Which is actually quite ironic, since Riivolution patches are primarly meant to be used with retail disc, which I recon led to pretty mean critics towards their creators (who didn't want to "condone" piracy) back in the days...

Since everything had failed, I tried to make a bps patch, which gave me a file of 400 megs (bps basically compares your two WBFS files, and creates a file that enlists all the differences between the two)!

This size is far much more than what Romhacking can host, meaning I have to find a way to host the patch elsewhere anyway : but I think I found a way by replacing "www.dropbox.com" with "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" in the download link.

It does open the file directly, so I guess (?) Romhacking should accept it this time.

The patch has been submitted once again with this method : we'll have to wait for a day or so to see if it's approved. If it isn't, I'll go with a dropbox/google drive link provided in this thread and the trailer description on Youtube.
Thank you for all this work that has been put into this very niche game on the Wii. I love Chibi Robo and I adore the Wii, so I'm excited to be able to play your translation and breathe new life into a game I've loved so much over the years!

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure I'd ask here since it's a concern of mine but @Brand Newman Will there be some way to use your patch with vWii on Wii U?
It currently is my only option to play somethin' like a Wii game, and honestly I can't find much information about running a region locked game through Riivolution. Will that bypass region lock without doing anything concerning Priiloader?

Heck if anyone knows the answer I'd be happy to take it... I just can't believe there'd be no way for me to play this after getting so hyped about iit.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
I figure I'd ask here since it's a concern of mine but @Brand Newman Will there be some way to use your patch with vWii on Wii U?
It currently is my only option to play somethin' like a Wii game, and honestly I can't find much information about running a region locked game through Riivolution. Will that bypass region lock without doing anything concerning Priiloader?

Heck if anyone knows the answer I'd be happy to take it... I just can't believe there'd be no way for me to play this after getting so hyped about iit.
Hello @RetroNerdGamer , and thank you for your interest in this patch.

I've tested it on my Wii U (hacked with Haxchi quite some time ago), and I can confirm it works.

PXL_20221120_073207305.jpg

PXL_20221120_073254775.jpg

Keep in mind Riivolution seems to be a little bit unstable on that console, though (I got a black screen when I chose to go to the "Home" menu, and had to disconnect the console), but that is not patch related.

In any case, the translation works, and so does the save file, so you should be good: maybe turn the power off instead of going "Home" would be safer?

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Just curious, what is the size of the archive with the translation?
In the case of Earth Seeker, as I recall, archive was (relatively) small.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello @RetroNerdGamer , and thank you for your interest in this patch.

I've tested it on my Wii U (hacked with Haxchi quite some time ago), and I can confirm it works.

View attachment 338896
View attachment 338897
Keep in mind Riivolution seems to be a little bit unstable on that console, though (I got a black screen when I chose to go to the "Home" menu, and had to disconnect the console), but that is not patch related.

In any case, the translation works, and so does the save file, so you should be good: maybe turn the power off instead of going "Home" would be safer?
Haxchi is what I used so that's nice to see for sure! Just a question though, there's absolutely no Priiloader, region lock being broken, or it being a Japanese Wii U right?
If that's the case I just have to put in disc, prep the translation, and boot through Riivolution?
Sorry for all the questions I just really want to make sure this will work so I don't have to go absolutely BONKERS to try to fix my original Wii somehow or some other course of action (at least for now lol)
Oh, I should mention I have an American Wii U.
Anyway thanks for the reply and I really appreciate all the work you've done and can't wait to actually be able to enjoy it!

Oh yeah and I'll keep the "turn it off" instead of using the home button when I use this. (Funny story, to just say it real quick I wanted to use Wiimmfi to play a Wii game online with someone and they actually froze my system because they had a mod on Dolphin while I was using actual hardware with the vanilla game. I had to turn the console off similar to what you're saying. The game was Battalion Wars 2)

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Haxchi is what I used so that's nice to see for sure! Just a question though, there's absolutely no Priiloader, region lock being broken, or it being a Japanese Wii U right?
If that's the case I just have to put in disc, prep the translation, and boot through Riivolution?
Sorry for all the questions I just really want to make sure this will work so I don't have to go absolutely BONKERS to try to fix my original Wii somehow or some other course of action (at least for now lol)
Oh, I should mention I have an American Wii U.
Anyway thanks for the reply and I really appreciate all the work you've done and can't wait to actually be able to enjoy it!

Oh yeah and I'll keep the "turn it off" instead of using the home button when I use this. (Funny story, to just say it real quick I wanted to use Wiimmfi to play a Wii game online with someone and they actually froze my system because they had a mod on Dolphin while I was using actual hardware with the vanilla game. I had to turn the console off similar to what you're saying. The game was Battalion Wars 2)
Hello again,

First of all, I realized after publishing my message that vWii hack is different from Wii U hack (people could hack their vWii a long time before they could hack their Wii U, actually).

Sorry for my mistake : I don't remember what hack I had used, but I believe the easiest way today is Wuphax?

So, don't forget your vWii must be hacked as well for homebrews like Riivolution to work.

I don't think Priiloader is compatible with Wii U?

As for the region, I think Riivolution just "skips" region testing? I know I can boot retail Japanese discs with homebrews like Riivolution and USB Loader Gx, but if I try to boot them with the "vanilla" system menu, then the console tells me it's not supposed to boot the disc.

Maybe someone here has fresher memories than mine (or knows better), but if I were you I'd first check if my vWii can boot homebrews, then just try Riivolution without any further modification.

Worst case scenario, you'll need some extra hack I don't remember of, but at least you won't be bricking your vWii by installing softwares that were meant for Wii only?

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again,

First of all, I realized after publishing my message that vWii hack is different from Wii U hack (people could hack their vWii a long time before they could hack their Wii U, actually).

Sorry for my mistake : I don't remember what hack I had used, but I believe the easiest way today is Wuphax?

So, don't forget your vWii must be hacked as well for homebrews like Riivolution to work.

I don't think Priiloader is compatible with Wii U?

As for the region, I think Riivolution just "skips" region testing? I know I can boot retail Japanese discs with homebrews like Riivolution and USB Loader Gx, but if I try to boot them with the "vanilla" system menu, then the console tells me it's not supposed to boot the disc.

Maybe someone here has fresher memories than mine (or knows better), but if I were you I'd first check if my vWii can boot homebrews, then just try Riivolution without any further modification.

Worst case scenario, you'll need some extra hack I don't remember of, but at least you won't be bricking your vWii by installing softwares that were meant for Wii only?
I already have my vWii hacked, so homebrews except Priiloader will work, so I don't have to worry about Wuphax.
vWii cannot use Priiloader, it's the whole reason I even brought it up, sadly.
I'll try Riivolution when I get the game, with the translation patch.

Though, if anyone can say what the "extra hack" is I'd really appreciate it as I'm curious what that would be now.
Thanks again for your response, and I appreciate the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Chips Ahoy cookies :D:wub::D