Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
So... all the menus should be translated now.

Isn't it neat to actually understand what Patari's saying, and not get yourself lost in all these screens?

patari.jpg

alphaum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow it's getting really good, I'm very excited about this game, congratulations! One question, are you using a C# solution to extract the texts?

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Wow it's getting really good, I'm very excited about this game, congratulations! One question, are you using a C# solution to extract the texts?
Good evening. I don't use any software to extract the text. Instead, I rely on an hex editor, and change the dialogs directly in the files.

Reactions: wiiAdventurer

Felold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Great project! I've never heard about this game before, but It sure looks unique.
I dig the painting-esque artstyle and I wish we had more games like this.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
great work! hope you can get around to doing Gundam 0079 one day! Thanks for all your hard work!
I own the game, so that's a start. But I haven't gone into it to see if I can do it technically. I'll most probably try it one day, for sure.

This is the occasion to put people up to date with my translation of "Ougon" : I haven't met any more issue, and have managed to find pointers in certain types of files (the ones containing the story), meaning I was able to increase the size of sentences that would have looked a bit short otherwise.

I'll probably need six more months or so to complete the translation and beta test it. However 1st scenario is complete, so maybe I'll focuse on translating the people's dialogs this month, so I can publish some new video that won't spoil it too much?

By the way, out of curiosity and since the game isn't very popular amongst gamers : is there anybody here who'll be willing to beta test with me when the time has come ? (This will need to be pretty available for a month or so, beta testing is an important part of the process).

Everybody has a nice summer!

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Good evening everyone!

Don't worry I'm still working on this translation.

As a matter of fact, please find below another video of the first "bonding" quest completed : no wonder people had a hard time with it in Japanese, it's quite long and hard to achieve if you don't know the first thing to do!

Hope the patch will help the game get a little bit more of love. For the time being I'll leave you with this little glimpse of Seirios' locations, and thank you for your patience!

Yours truly.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Curious what you mean by bug here in your teaser?
Hello!

Actually the bug I had encountered was just before this boss.

The game would return an invalid value and freeze : I discovered I had put a too long sentence for the tutorial of the boss, despite having enough room for that, as it seemed the game actually needed that "blank space" of zeros in the main.dol file :)
I consider myself lucky to have found the reason within the day, regarding how many files I have already modified!

I may publish a video of the battle, as it seems nobody has gone this far and recorded it on the Internet! :lol:

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As promised, here's what's probably the most advanced anyone has ever gotten in this game and recorded it!

Awesome work, I like what I see so far, but I will say one line in that video is a bit off in English.
"You're big disappointment" should be "You're a big disappointment" to be grammatically correct. Figured I'd point it out to help even if it's a little bit.

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Awesome work, I like what I see so far, but I will say one line in that video is a bit off in English.
"You're big disappointment" should be "You're a big disappointment" to be grammatically correct. Figured I'd point it out to help even if it's a little bit.
I know, but this is the kind of situation where you reach the limits of file replacement...

The dialogs for movies are located in a file that doesn't seem to have any pointer (it starts right off with dialogs), so I can't make any more room, and the sentences in Japanese are extremely short! (plus, I have to be very cautious with line breaks and codes within the lines of dialog. So basically most of my sentences are exactly the same amount of characters as the Japanese ones X2).

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but this is the kind of situation where you reach the limits of file replacement...

The dialogs for movies are located in a file that doesn't seem to have any pointer (it starts right off with dialogs), so I can't make any more room, and the sentences in Japanese are extremely short! (plus, I have to be very cautious with line breaks and codes within the lines of dialog. So basically most of my sentences are exactly the same amount of characters as the Japanese ones X2).
Ahhh ok ok that makes sense. In the fcase for this line maybe go for a "Such a disappointment"? It's short, and it conveys the message without sacrificing grammar.
Sorry, really not tryin' to step on your toes, just giving ideas I guess.

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably go with "You disappoint me" or "I'm disappointed in you" as an alternative.

I think @Brand Newman said they like to go for exact translations but with a bit more liberty:

"You insignificant insect."

"What a waste of time."

"I expected more from you."

"This is your level? Sad."

I had fun thinking those up :D

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably go with "You disappoint me" or "I'm disappointed in you" as an alternative.

I think @Brand Newman said they like to go for exact translations but with a bit more liberty:

"What a waste of time."

Hahahaha way better than what I had. Those're hilarious!

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France

"What a waste of time."

Thank you both for your suggestions, after all this is still beta, and I'll take these ideas into consideration before I release the patch.

I do like my 1st draft to stay as close as possible to original script (except for expressions and such), then take further liberties when the dialogs seem a little "odd" in the context.

I usually don't have much clue about the aforementioned context before the work is mostly done (the worst being when you "invert" two characters, and think one of them is saying what the other one is actually saying), but that's what beta testing is for!

But when my patches are finally released, they usually tend to modify a few things for the sake of clarity : sometimes Japan has a way of telling stories that is quite different from the West! :D

Brand Newman

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Good day everybody.

Just a little message to go a bit off topic, and let you know I've released an unrelated video about games which had their gameplay ruined (or at least worsened a lot) by motion controls, after a little survey I conducted on Twitter.

'Twas about time I showed some tough love to the console before someone called me biased! :lol:

And you get to hear my voice as a bonus (or is it?)

Have a nice and resting Sunday! I SWEAR I'm going back to "Kizuna" now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer