GelatinBlue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.

I have a clone of the R4, the "Christmas Version".

Honestly, if you're a hardcore gamer, you should not waste your time getting one of these, ONLY because I've been having problems with newer roms/online play. If you just want an R4 with a simple interface for.. say, your 10 year old cousins, it's perfect. Plays all the games you want (as long as they don't mind not being able to play Pokemon Black and White or hosting Download Play games).

Now if anyone has any experience with these, I need your help (if possible).

Here's my first question. I was playing Mario Party DS with my friend at my house.. But realized I couldn't host the game for him to join. I looked everywhere, tried everything including putting the DS in manual mode and rebooting with the chip, but nothing worked. In the end, he had to get his real cartridge of Mario Party, host the game, and then invite me to it. Now that's not a problem but what happens when I want to play Mario Party with someone who has an R4? Is there any way possible that I can host a game (maybe some kind of firmware or patch)? I'm currently running Happybox v1.17b.

I also have been looking all over the web to try to find a fix for my Pokemon Black and Pokemon white roms.. I've tried many people's firmware, and can't get anything to work. Is there anything you suggest, or better yet.. Is there a different R4 chip you suggest if I'm hopeless? I'll keep these R4's for cousins or other people who don't care about Black and White or hosting Download Play games.. But for my own personal use, which chip should I order?

Thanks guys
smile.gif

GelatinBlue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
You're right that getting a new flash cart would be a lot less trouble in the long run.

http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

Thanks for your help, I'm thinking of picking up the iSmart.. I found it for $16 with free shipping. Looks like it has everything I need:

QUOTE* 100% compatibility, supports clean ROMS, works on NDS, NDSL, NDSi and NDS XL LL.
* Supports NDS download play.
* Enhanced Real Time Save and Real Time Game Guide. Making it easier for you to play the games.
* Super fast memory card reading speed. Supports any MicroSD/MicroSDHC including the slowest ones.
* Anti-Piracy Auto Detection. No patches needed for games with built-in anti-piracy.
* Automatic save type detection, no need for a save type database.
* Skinnable interface for both theme and buttons.
* Multi-lingual user interface. Customizable languages.
* Supports Action Replay cheat.
* Supports Wi-Fi, EZ Flash 3 in 1 expansion pack. No additional software needed for the expansion pack.

However, all the pics of it are on the 3DS.. This isn't a 3DS only card, is it?

GelatinBlue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
No card is 3DS-only, they're all ds/i flashcarts that run ds/i games on ds/i's + the 3DS
tongue.gif

Nice, I see. Thanks
smile.gif

But now I'm having doubts about the iSmart.. I read a few reviews about it, and the download play still doesn't work... I'm mainly concerned about THAT lol. That and like I said, the newer DS games like Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Do you guys want to suggest one that you guys use (that works properly)?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
GelatinBlue said:
Thanks for your help, I'm thinking of picking up the iSmart..
You can somewhat take a look at what to expect depending on which one you are thinking of getting (the $16 dollars bit has me thinking you are looking at the iSP)...sort of. I don't have a video using the iSP's regular kernel (I'll get to it eventually...probably), but if you watch the EZVi ones, they use the same UI.
http://gbatemp.net/t270687-flashcart-demonstrations

GelatinBlue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
GelatinBlue said:
Thanks for your help, I'm thinking of picking up the iSmart..
You can somewhat take a look at what to expect depending on which one you are thinking of getting (the $16 dollars bit has me thinking you are looking at the iSP)...sort of. I don't have a video using the iSP's regular kernel (I'll get to it eventually...probably), but if you watch the EZVi ones, they use the same UI.
http://gbatemp.net/t270687-flashcart-demonstrations

Yup, I was looking at the iSmart Premium (not the MM).. and yeah, from what I heard it's almost exactly like the EZVi. However, have you tried download play on it? How about the newer games? If it can host games/use download play, and if it can play Pokemon B & W, I'll go ahead and buy it. If not, which cards would?

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't mind paying $35 to $40 then get a SuperCard DSTWO. If you want something cheaper, get an Acekard 2i, and if you are looking to spend less than $10 bucks then consider an R4i Ultra, it's a decent clone with AKAIO support, or any r4 clone that runs wood will work with download play. I have tested the R4i Ultra and it also works fine with hosting download play.

If you want to keep the R4 Christmas version then try to run Wood R4 or YSMenu on it, it might work?

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii said:
If you don't mind paying $35 to $40 then get a SuperCard DSTWO. If you want something cheaper, get an Acekard 2i, and if you are looking to spend less than $10 bucks then consider an R4i Ultra, it's a decent clone with AKAIO support, or any r4 clone that runs wood will work with download play. I have tested the R4i Ultra and it also works fine with hosting download play.

If you want to keep the R4 Christmas version then try to run Wood R4 or YSMenu on it, it might work?
I wouldn't recommend the R4i Ultra. I know it has akaio 1.8.6 and all, but I'm still not convinced they got it legitimately.
I'd rather recommend the Wood R4 compatible cards, like the R4i Gold or the 'original' R4 if you're a cheapskate and ok with no sdhc support.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Aeter said:
NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii said:

I wouldn't recommend the R4i Ultra. I know it has akaio 1.8.6 and all, but I'm still not convinced they got it legitimately.
I'd rather recommend the Wood R4 compatible cards, like the R4i Gold or the 'original' R4 if you're a cheapskate and ok with no sdhc support.

I suppose, but I'm pretty sure it's legitimate. I know the 1.8.1 AKAIO was legitimate, so I don't think this wouldn't be. Plus according to sources (eg: http://gbatemp.net/t289222-the-mega-list-o...ones?&st=15 (under the 3DS compatible)) it's actually made by Team Acekard, so I highly doubt it's not legitmate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Also this song https://youtu.be/27RWx9Q6LcQ?si=c7C8YuRoIPHadiQ0