Chrome OS coming this summer, named Chromebook

basf11214

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My school's IT only supports Windows and OSX. If I can't take my law exams and can't access the library's network, then this thing has no educational uses for me.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
When your upload speed goes at 25kB/s and downloading is 150kB/s, I don't think that storing everything on the internet is a good thing. Doubt this will be good anywhere without decent speed internet.

My netbook can run Portal and an insanely large number of free (and some not free *Braid and Audiosurf*) indies. It has around a hundred movies, Sony Vegas, Photoshop, around a thousand e-books, a decent amount of music and a ton of documents, and with all that it still has around 75 GB left. No thank you Google. As for the whole "5 seconds" thing, I hibernate my netbook, don't like shutting it down. It loads just about that fast from Hibernation.

I find it quite difficult to see this being used that productively when you have so many limitations with it.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Only way i see this being a win is if it has most of these features:
-under $100
-10-20 hours battery life
-Play any flash game
-Developers making chrome apps of programs (eg. Game Maker, Photoshop, etc.)
-Low specs not noticeable even when 50 tabs are opened

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not actually that bad an idea - a lightweight device to be used predominantly for general internet use. Surf the web, check your mail, watch some Youtube videos, update your Facebook or Twitter... You aren't meant to do much more'n that, at least that's the impression I get. Sure, the Chrome Store adds a bunch of other stuff but nothing exceptional. Seems mostly Flash Games people are stupid enough to actually pay for.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
Wintrale said:
It's not actually that bad an idea - a lightweight device to be used predominantly for general internet use. Surf the web, check your mail, watch some Youtube videos, update your Facebook or Twitter... You aren't meant to do much more'n that, at least that's the impression I get. Sure, the Chrome Store adds a bunch of other stuff but nothing exceptional. Seems mostly Flash Games people are stupid enough to actually pay for.
It is a bad idea...

What would happen if their servers get hacked?
or when their servers are down?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
Wintrale said:
It is a bad idea...

Sure cause google isn't that secure /sarcasm

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
Wintrale said:
It is a bad idea...

I cannot remember a time when Google has gone down completely. Occasionally GMail has off days, but that's about it I believe. And anyway, there are plenty of other sites out there to use if Google is down, provided you can get past the login screen without connecting to Google's servers (not sure if its possible or not).

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
They had a site where you could sign up to be a beta tester, at one point. I signed up, but never got anything of the sort.

But you know, would this allow for Minecraft play? Technically, it IS a flash game.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Sora de Eclaune said:
They had a site where you could sign up to be a beta tester, at one point. I signed up, but never got anything of the sort.

But you know, would this allow for Minecraft play? Technically, it IS a flash game.
Technically, Minecraft is a Java game.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Sora de Eclaune said:

no cause apparently you can't install stuff.... *grumble*

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd never even heard of Google Gears.

Funny vid though; I like the sense of humour.
tongue.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
SifJar said:
I cannot remember a time when Google has gone down completely. Occasionally GMail has off days, but that's about it I believe. And anyway, there are plenty of other sites out there to use if Google is down, provided you can get past the login screen without connecting to Google's servers (not sure if its possible or not).
There was one day I remember when Google crashed and that was when the Dream World started in Japan and pretty much the whole internet suffered

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

Technically, Minecraft is a Java game.
Isn't there some type of Java emulator out there? I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I think I remember some type of in-browser Java emulator for... some reason.

And since Minecraft can be played in browser...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Java can run in a browser, its not an emulator. You can just embed Java applets in web pages, and with a little bit of work you can run them in Chrome OS (or Chromium OS) - there's a guide on Hexxeh's Chromium OS wiki.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
Isn't there some type of Java emulator out there? I know it sounds kind of stupid, but I think I remember some type of in-browser Java emulator for... some reason.

And since Minecraft can be played in browser...

The Minecraft levels are *huge* and require Temp storage to even run, let alone expand. No access to storage cuts your dreams short.

I've seen an article about a Chromebook running Ubuntu though, apparently those babies have 6Gb flash drives, they're just not accessible via ChromeOS.

Dual-boot time, ladies and gentlemen.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
TechnoWorm said:
It is a bad idea...

This is Google we're talking about. Their security is basically Skynet and they converted most of China into storage for their servers. Even if someone was stupid enough to try to hack the biggest search engine in the world, the chances of them actually succeeding are remarkably slim.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wintrale said:
TechnoWorm said:
It is a bad idea...

This is Google we're talking about. Their security is basically Skynet and they converted most of China into storage for their servers. Even if someone was stupid enough to try to hack the biggest search engine in the world, the chances of them actually succeeding are remarkably slim.

ORLY?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This thread got me interested so I decided to start reading up at chromium.org. I really liked this.

QUOTE said:
Subcases:

Chromium OS developer: They will use the device in a manner similar to Google Chrome OS, perhaps with some added capability (shell access, etc). This is a common and valuable developer use case; these developers contribute back to the Chromium OS project.
Interactive developer: The developer uses the device like a normal laptop.
Remote developer: The developer uses the device as a media server, set-top box, or some other use case where they do not have direct access to the keyboard and primary display.

We must allow these use cases. If we don't, it is likely developers will hack holes in verified boot to enable them.

EDIT: And to the neigh sayers, I'd read up a bit. I was a bit sceptical but I'm really liking some of the ideas here http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromi.../developer-mode.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For $500 bucks I can get a decent notebook and install actual linux on it. Thanks, but no thanks until I can get something for what I'm paying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.