Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

recs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you are taking request I would like to request Flower, Sun and Rain. It is a weird and frustrating but charming experimental visual novel that's infamous for being mostly a walking simulator, and analog controls would really make the game more tolerable. Already has analog controls on touchscreen so I think it's a good candidate.

Reactions: shoco

Lumper25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Mario 64 ds, I'm trying to add the codes for switching characters on the fly to the .dat file but they're not working. They come up in the twilight menu and I can enable them, but I can't seem to activate them in game. My theory is somehow the analog controls or camera controls conflict with the codes, to use the codes you have to hold L + R + a direction per character.

I tried posting a link to the switching character AR codes but I wasn't allowed to since I'm a new user, but I believe most of the mario 64 ds codes online are the same.

I'd much rather use analog controls versus the ability for semi on the fly switching, but I'd love to have both if possible. Any ideas on what I could do to get the switching codes to work while still using the movement / camera controls?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
On Mario 64 ds, I'm trying to add the codes for switching characters on the fly to the .dat file but they're not working. They come up in the twilight menu and I can enable them, but I can't seem to activate them in game. My theory is somehow the analog controls or camera controls conflict with the codes, to use the codes you have to hold L + R + a direction per character.

I tried posting a link to the switching character AR codes but I wasn't allowed to since I'm a new user, but I believe most of the mario 64 ds codes online are the same.

I'd much rather use analog controls versus the ability for semi on the fly switching, but I'd love to have both if possible. Any ideas on what I could do to get the switching codes to work while still using the movement / camera controls?
I've checked switching characters cheats in this cheatcode database. They work fine.
Just in case, have you tried them without my cpad mod? Or maybe you chose a cheat for the wrong game version? Some of these cheats require you to press L+R+DPad while loading (like when entering through the front door of the Castle), but there is also one cheat that works instantly.

Lumper25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've checked switching characters cheats in They work fine.
Just in case, have you tried them without my cpad mod? Or maybe you chose a cheat for the wrong game version? Some of these cheats require you to press L+R+DPad while loading (like when entering through the front door of the Castle), but there is also one cheat that works instantly.

I haven't tried them without the cpad mod, I definitely should have hah. I assumed since Twilight Menu could see the cheats that they were the correct ones for the rom version I had. I cant find a good way to tell what version the rom is anyway, which had been making this process a bit more difficult.

Thanks for the response! Is the instant switch code in the cheat database you provided?

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I haven't tried them without the cpad mod, I definitely should have hah. I assumed since Twilight Menu could see the cheats that they were the correct ones for the rom version I had. I cant find a good way to tell what version the rom is anyway, which had been making this process a bit more difficult.

Thanks for the response! Is the instant switch code in the cheat database you provided?
Sorry for the late response. Yeah, it was in the link I attached in the previous message. And as it seems only for some rom versions (USA (Rev 1) is one of them), but I noticed that it's a bit unstable (in terms of game physics). Maybe there are better versions on the web.
As for the determining the correct rom version, it is a little bit complicated. You can get a region (at the offset 0xF) and a revision number (at the offset 0x1E) directly from the rom if you open it in a hex editor. But even if you know your version, you still can't be absolutely sure that the cheatcode you found on the Internet would work with it. So it's better to use prepopulated cheat databases (when they have cheats you need). TwilightMenu can then automatically select the correct version from it for your rom.

Lumper25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late response. Yeah, it was in the link I attached in the previous message. And as it seems only for some rom versions (USA (Rev 1) is one of them), but I noticed that it's a bit unstable (in terms of game physics). Maybe there are better versions on the web.
As for the determining the correct rom version, it is a little bit complicated. You can get a region (at the offset 0xF) and a revision number (at the offset 0x1E) directly from the rom if you open it in a hex editor. But even if you know your version, you still can't be absolutely sure that the cheatcode you found on the Internet would work with it. So it's better to use prepopulated cheat databases (when they have cheats you need). TwilightMenu can then automatically select the correct version from it for your rom.

Thanks I appreciate it. The character switching code when loading a new area from your database works, but the instant swap would work once or twice before crashing the game. I assume it's a conflicting version thing. I'm all set now, thank you for your help.

Reactions: shoco

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
@CountBungus @solidgui3 @stanleyopar2000 @recs
Done

Could I request the japanese exclusive superior sequel, Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Ōsōji? (Happy Rich Big Sweep)

You can look up the controls in the TLDR section of the original post. I mapped some stuff to the DPad buttons. Not sure if this will interfere with any other functionality (other than camera control). Also, if you have a New3DS family console, you can use "3ds-nds key remapper" to map the CStick to the ABXY keys for the camera control, and then map the DPad to those newly freed ABXY to make some functions/buttons a little less cumbersome to use.

An important point here is that every activity in this game requires additional patching. For example, climbing a cloth, a cord, and Chibi's own cord are all 3 different functionalities in different places that had to be patched separately, so I most like missed something there (I've only tested the game at the beginning). If you or anyone else is actually going to play it and finds a bug of some sort (that causes a crash maybe) or a missed opportunity to introduce the CPad or other keys for control, it would be nice to have your save files (with that offending point in the game) from TwilightMenu so I could find it, fix it, and test it properly

Reactions: CountBungus

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@CountBungus @solidgui3 @stanleyopar2000 @recs
Done

You can look up the controls in the TLDR section of the original post. I mapped some stuff to the DPad buttons. Not sure if this will interfere with any other functionality (other than camera control). Also, if you have a New3DS family console, you can use "3ds-nds key remapper" to map the CStick to the ABXY keys for the camera control, and then map the DPad to those newly freed ABXY to make some functions/buttons a little less cumbersome to use.

An important point here is that every activity in this game requires additional patching. For example, climbing a cloth, a cord, and Chibi's own cord are all 3 different functionalities in different places that had to be patched separately, so I most like missed something there (I've only tested the game at the beginning). If you or anyone else is actually going to play it and finds a bug of some sort (that causes a crash maybe) or a missed opportunity to introduce the CPad or other keys for control, it would be nice to have your save files (with that offending point in the game) from TwilightMenu so I could find it, fix it, and test it properly
Man you are the fuckin GOAT, friend

Xeddius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to remap the keys for Kirby Super Star Ultra to match the SNES version? Someone did a romhack for me on here a few years ago, but it caused the buttons to repeat upon being held which breaks the gameplay.
I'd be forever grateful!

DS to SNES mapping/swap as follows:
DS -> SNES
Y -> B
B -> Y
X -> A
A -> X
The rest are the same.

RetraCarteR

Newcomer
Trophies
San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to remap the keys for Kirby Super Star Ultra to match the SNES version? Someone did a romhack for me on here a few years ago, but it caused the buttons to repeat upon being held which breaks the gameplay.
I'd be forever grateful!

DS to SNES mapping/swap as follows:
DS -> SNES
Y -> B
B -> Y
X -> A
A -> X
The rest are the same.
There's a ROM hack for that available on romhacking.net, but I don't know whether or not it's the same one you're talking about. Still, it might be worth a shot. You can find it here. It even changes the in-game button prompts to reflect the control changes, which is a nice bonus.

Reactions: Xeddius

NoriLynnfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really like the analog patch for LEGO Star Wars TCS, but I'd really like to see analog patches for the other DS LEGO games that don't have 3DS versions.
(Specifically, LEGO Indiana Jones 1 & 2, as well as LEGO Batman 1)

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I tried, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on this game. Not really sure why.
Have you tried other patches for the CPad? What is your console version?
Anyway, I'm sure the specifically built patch that RetraCarteR have mentioned is much better than just raw key swapping.

I really like the analog patch for LEGO Star Wars TCS, but I'd really like to see analog patches for the other DS LEGO games that don't have 3DS versions.
(Specifically, LEGO Indiana Jones 1 & 2, as well as LEGO Batman 1)
Ok, I'll look into it

Reactions: RetraCarteR

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1