Hacking Circle Pad patches for Super Mario 64 DS and other games (in TwilightMenu with TWPatcher and RTCom)

Fer495

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The game works perfectly. I even went a step further and instead of having to load it from Twilight, I load it from my console menu (you have to patch the .nds file first) using nds-forwader.
Regarding 3DS-Nds Key remapper, I would like to know what is the correct way to Remap or invert the A and B buttons, without losing the Zl and Zr button settings as well as the settings used for the analog motion patch.
Thanks!

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Regarding 3DS-Nds Key remapper, I would like to know what is the correct way to Remap or invert the A and B buttons, without losing the Zl and Zr button settings as well as the settings used for the analog motion patch.
Just swap the A and B checkboxes. The settings for the Cpad analog motion and ZlZr depend on the game. If you mean SM64DS, then leave CPad as is and just don't touch checkboxes corresponding to the ZL-ZR buttons.

1693991753469.png

mario4everd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done. I didn't touch the minigames though
Thank you so much! I've been caught up in some things so I'm just now able to respond XD But It works great so far! Now I'm going to attempt a full playthrough -w-

EDIT: Just finished an entire playthrough XD Plays super well! Thank you once again

Last edited by mario4everd,

selcuk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some people have said that my mods work correctly with flashcards, so I assume this is the same case as was my previous comment about (the actual TwlBg hasn't been patched). See the troubleshooting section. Make sure both TwlBg are patched (widescreen and non-). If that doesn't help, try some of my other mods without any widescreen patches (just to make sure the problem is not specific to this mod or to widescreen-related things).
twlbg has been patched properly. same thing happens with other games with cpatch. lots of orange lines appear on the screen for a moment and then the game frozes

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
twlbg has been patched properly. same thing happens with other games with cpatch. lots of orange lines appear on the screen for a moment and then the game frozes

That's strange. I don't think I've ever encountered your case, as well as these orange lines. For now, I don't really know how to help. Usually it's just the problem with two TwlBg's (as described in the troubleshooting section), but if you really have used widescreen patches and they worked, then at least the TwlBg is definitely patched.

As a last resort, have a look at these two files.
First is a tweaked mod for KH 358/2 without that white screen freeze. The Circle Pad still should not work, but the game is supposed to load correctly. Just in case, wait for a minute after starting it, in case it needs time to load. If it indeed boots normally (and the cpad still isn't functioning), then the problem is certainly related to RTCom.
The second file is just a simple diagnostic NDS app. Launch it, wait for a minute, and try to use the cpad, some of the numbers on the bottom screen should change (ideally). Make sure there's a patched "TwlBg.cxi" (with enabled RTCom) at "/luma/sysmodules/"

Finally, you could try DeadSkullzJr's xdelta version of the SM64DS patch . It doesn't require cheats and usrcheat.dat, but utilizes the same RTCom mechanism (in case there's something wrong with loading huge cheatcodes on your flashcard or something like that).

Attachments

• KH_358_2_days.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 29
  • RtcomTestProject.zip
    43.1 KB · Views: 29

HorizonSon

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
@shoco you shouldn't be making these as cheats, but as ROM hacks instead. Reason being is because lengthy codes like these take up too much memory when loaded and or enabled, and it only gets worse whenever people want to enable others, making the load even bigger and more problematic. The more the codes, and depending on their size(s), you can cause game crashes, graphical and or audio related issues, etc. to occur, hence why it's most unwise to go this route. Your ideology to go about this without having to know the ROM structure on paper sounds great, but the execution is more impractical than anything. This in the form of ROM hacks is more beneficial since nothing extra has to be loaded from a separate engine to run the intended way, not to mention there is far less chances of something going wrong period. The other benefit is ROM hack developers being able to use these hacks as bases and or extensions for their own hacks, this in cheat form isn't universal for every hack out there, some are advanced to the point that the general game code structure is entirely different from within.

I put together some patches for one of the games you did, I may do the others later on if you don't feel like doing the rest.
Is there a way to use both your patch and "Widescreen patch for Super Mario 64 DS USA 1.1"?
It enables widescreen for 2D elements too and is excellent.
I can't post links yet but it is in a thread called "Widescreen cheats for DS games on 3DS" by Vague Rant

I have tried patching my game twice, first with your patch, then this one, and vice versa, using NO checksum check, but no luck.

I wonder if I can convert this widescreen hack to cheat codes to have both widescreen with 2D AND circle pad(cheats) enhancements!

Cheats or xdelta, Any help will be appreciated. thanks!

Russ9876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to use both your patch and "Widescreen patch for Super Mario 64 DS USA 1.1"?
It enables widescreen for 2D elements too and is excellent.
I can't post links yet but it is in a thread called "Widescreen cheats for DS games on 3DS" by Vague Rant

I have tried patching my game twice, first with your patch, then this one, and vice versa, using NO checksum check, but no luck.

I wonder if I can convert this widescreen hack to cheat codes to have both widescreen with 2D AND circle pad(cheats) enhancements!

Cheats or xdelta, Any help will be appreciated. thanks!
I was actually wondering the same thing, but I think xdelta would work better due to how both hacks are already in xdelta. Maybe just a way to merge xdeltas would work better, but that's beyond my knowledge.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok Rayman DS has a patch. I don't have a 3DS anymore was wondering how good the patch is seeing the using the dpad is awkward in this game.

solidgui3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi Soo,I just found out that there's a Mario 64 ds 60 fps patch,tryed using the circle pad cheat and it didn't worked,is there a way to make it work and I'm missing something or it needs its own cheat?

Here's the 60 fps patch btw

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi Soo,I just found out that there's a Mario 64 ds 60 fps patch,tryed using the circle pad cheat and it didn't worked,is there a way to make it work and I'm missing something or it needs its own cheat?

It works for me (USA v1.1 version + DSi mode in the TwilightMenu settings). The problem is that this 60 fps mod has serious performance issues on 3ds in some locations (even without the CPAD patch). This video is most likely recorded on an emulator that can run at any speed, but on 3DS you are limited by the DSi hardware, which is supposedly not fast enough.

Ok Rayman DS has a patch. I don't have a 3DS anymore was wondering how good the patch is seeing the using the dpad is awkward in this game.
The controls are fine, the same as you would get by using the touch screen alone. But as good as the controls are, the ds version has a pretty poor frame rate, so at this points I think it's just better to play Raymon 3D instead

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works for me (USA v1.1 version + DSi mode in the TwilightMenu settings). The problem is that this 60 fps mod has serious performance issues on 3ds in some locations (even without the CPAD patch). This video is most likely recorded on an emulator that can run at any speed, but on 3DS you are limited by the DSi hardware, which is supposedly not fast enough.

The controls are fine, the same as you would get by using the touch screen alone. But as good as the controls are, the ds version has a pretty poor frame rate, so at this points I think it's just better to play Raymon 3D instead
Rayman DS is base off of the N64 version so I prefer that.

RyanMook

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to patch in the ALL IN ONE patch, to coexist with the cheats from the NDSi Cheats database that you get from the Universal Updater. Installing the database overwrites the usrcheat.dat file, and patching each game in with r4cce would be cumbersome (I mean, if it's the only way...).

shoco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to patch in the ALL IN ONE patch, to coexist with the cheats from the NDSi Cheats database that you get from the Universal Updater. Installing the database overwrites the usrcheat.dat file, and patching each game in with r4cce would be cumbersome (I mean, if it's the only way...).

You might try this one, for example (afaik, it's up to date with the latest DeadSkullzJr version). But it will overwrite your 'usrcheat.dat' and will be overwritten by the next download from the Universal Updater.
If you simply don't want to merge them yourself or touch the file at all, then probably the only way is for developers of TwilightMenu (or nds-bootstrap) to allow several cheat databases at the same time.
In case you don't mind merging them, in this message I mentioned a way to do it. Not sure if it still works. I am not aware of other fully automatic solutions to this problem, although I believe there should be something somewhere

RyanMook

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might try this one, for example (afaik, it's up to date with the latest DeadSkullzJr version). But it will overwrite your 'usrcheat.dat' and will be overwritten by the next download from the Universal Updater.
If you simply don't want to merge them yourself or touch the file at all, then probably the only way is for developers of TwilightMenu (or nds-bootstrap) to allow several cheat databases at the same time.
In case you don't mind merging them, in this message I mentioned a way to do it. Not sure if it still works. I am not aware of other fully automatic solutions to this problem, although I believe there should be something somewhere
Thank you. I did the first option, and I get to have my cake and eat it too! As for when there will be updates, I tested out your online merger and it seems to work. I haven't put the dat file in my 3DS but I saw stuff was merged there. So I'll keep that in mind for when I want to update.

It's not that I didn't want to use r4cce, it's just I didn't understand how to merge files with it. It asks for a specific game but what do you do when you're using the All In One file?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...