Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
QUOTE said:
Topeka, Kansas Changes City Name to Google, Kansas

In an Effort to Attract Google to Bring High Speed Internet to Their Town, Topeka Changed Their Name

t1larg.jpg

Hitchhikers may contain trojans.

Topeka has re-named itself Google in order to convince the Google Company to come there. Topeka, Kansas will be known as Google, Kansas for the next month, and it is all just a big publicity stunt in order to get the city noticed on a national scale. The mayor of Topeka, oops I mean Google, Kansas and those working with him deserve some credit for this innovative idea, because it could really end up helping the city a lot. The reason behind the change in the cities name is that Google is going to be bringing a high-speed internet connection to a test city where 50,000 to 500,000 people will receive internet speeds 100 times faster than anywhere else.

This is something that Google wants to put in many cities once the program has been tested out, and now The-City-Formerly-Known-As-Topeka would like to announce that they are very interested. The hope is that this announcement will catch the eye of the people at Google, and that it will get them to consider this city as a great place to try out the new program. It certainly can't hurt, and even if Topeka doesn't end up having Google test their new internet in the city, it gets Topeka, Kansas into the national discussion for the time being. Its good advertising whether Google teams up with them or not, plus it brings attention to Google in a positive way, and the company has to appreciate that.

The Google program that Topeka is so interested in is called "Fiber for Communities", where Google will be going out to communities that it chooses, and provides them with internet speeds that are amazingly fast. They are stating that the internet speeds will be 100 times faster than anywhere else in the country, and that the data transfer rates will be faster than 1 gigabit per second. Cities that are interested in possibly taking part in this program are asked to contact Google, and Topeka has just done that in a very innovative fashion. CNN posted a picture of the new sign when entering Google, Kansas, and hopefully it does get the attention of the Google Company.

I have to say that I wouldn't mind living in Google Mexico if it meant to have an insanely fast internet connection so I acutally the mayor's plan is quite good, I don't think it will work but, it was a good attempt. Also, "This isn't the first time Topeka has switched its name to mark a cultural trend. In 1998, former mayor Joan Wagnon temporarily changed the name of the city to "ToPikachu, Kansas," in reference to the Pikachu anime character, from the show and game called "Pokemon," which was popular at the time, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal."

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danny Tanner said:
Wait that's a fairly large city with some history, don't see name changes like that too often.

Well, in the original post, they've already done it 3 times (in total). Topeka -> ToPikachu *shudder* -> Topeka -> Google.

Looks like it doesn't really bother them so much
tongue.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least 'ToPikachu' kinda sounded okay and close to 'Topeka'...

'Google' isn't even close.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
Danny Tanner said:
Wait that's a fairly large city with some history, don't see name changes like that too often.

Well, in the original post, they've already done it 3 times (in total). Topeka -> ToPikachu *shudder* -> Topeka -> Google.

Looks like it doesn't really bother them so much
tongue.gif

Yeah, but it didn't seem like this time was temporary. Either way, I looked up Topeka, and it turns out it's not that important or big, it's just the only town I know in Kansas.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(WildWon @ Mar 3 2010, 09:06 PM)
*snip

AMMIRITE?!

lmao

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danny Tanner said:
Yeah, but it didn't seem like this time was temporary. Either way, I looked up Topeka, and it turns out it's not that important or big, it's just the only town I know in Kansas.
tongue.gif

Oh no. It's completely temporary. They're all about the "look at me! i'm an attention whore!" with changing the name. They'll change it back A. if they're not chosen, or B. After the testing is done.

zuron7

RBYG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
There is already a village called Google in my country.
It came from a different source though.

QUOTE said:
The Google village is there near Bangalore at the distance of 510km north-east, does not have any internet facility. The place is near about the banks of river Krishna in the district of Raichur have around 1000 residents there.
Wow It's just 510 KM from my place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why do people ask why buy what you want +1