Clamshell handheld gaming PCs AYANEO FLIP KB & DS begin crowdfunding campaign

ayaneo flip.jpg

AYANEO has launched the crowdfunding campaigns of two devices within the REMAKE line, the AYANEO FLIP KB and AYANEO FLIP DS. As usual with crowdfunding campaigns, caution is advised but AYANEO has a strong track record when it comes to such campaigns and the FLIP models have already exceeded their crowdfunding goals at the time of writing.

flip kb specs.jpg flip specs.jpg

Both models bear a clamshell design, with the FLIP DS bearing two screens and the FLIP KB sporting a physical keyboard. Early bird price for the AYANEO FLIP KB start at $699 and $739 for the AMD 7840U-powered and 8840U-powered models, respectively. Early bird pricing for the AYANEO FLIP DS start at $739 and $779 for the 7840U-powered and 8840U-powered models, respectively.

:arrow: SOURCE

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't seem like it would be much worse than a gaming laptop.
I have a ROG Ally currently and I can say it's generally fine enough, but that's coming from somebody who is usually never too far from a plug. Even when I'm travelling with it, the trains have plug sockets nowadays lol

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That keyboard looks pretty bad. They could've rearranged the controls to utilize the entire width for the keyboard, like the GPD Win (2), to at least make the keyboard bigger and positioned better for ease of use. Having to reach across with your thumbs to the center of the device is not ideal and seems like it would get very uncomfortable if you try to type anything more than a few words. The keyboard seems like an afterthought on this one, like they hadn't even come up with the idea until they were 75% done with the design process.

And I don't understand why the secondary screen is so small. There is so much empty space around it, it looks weird. Maybe they just couldn't find an off the shelf screen with the specs they wanted that was just the right size, though that seems unlikely.

I'm glad to have more competition in this form factor, as I do like the clamshell design and personally think it's really cool that these things are essentially miniature laptops, but GPD did it better 7 years ago with the GPD Win. Aya Neo's other devices are cool and sleek but they clearly have some catch up to play when it comes to clamshell devices.

I still have an OpenPandora sitting around somewhere from way back, that thing had more or less the same layout as the GPD Win (2) and the keyboard was actually quite usable, I used it to chat with friends on the go (as this was before smartphones)
That came out around 13 years ago and I'd say even back then they had nearly perfected the layout and functionality of a handheld, clamshell pocket computer, even if the design looked dated. Aya Neo should just copy that layout and they would have a much better device.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I will say for this concept in particular, it's hard to gauge how much demand there will be. They're relying on nostalgia pretty heavily since the clamshell design necessitates it being a lot less powerful than other portable PCs, including other Ayaneo products.
This. A million times this.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would've been interested in this...if it wasn't built after Xbox gamepads, and instead mimicked the Nintendo DS/3DS. Y'know, with the lettered buttons. Also, aligned thumbpads, like with the Wii and Wii U controllers.

As it is, noooo thanks. Fucked up the design. "Intuitive" my ass, for those who grew up with the direct inspirations behind this thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: no, cod sucks +2