Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The third (and last?) installment of Kevin Smith's Clerks is coming out.

The first film was based on Smith's experiences working as a clerk. The third one will be inspired by Smith's experiences of filming the first film while working as a clerk. The circle is complete.

2meta4some.

Reactions: hippy dave

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first was a great little film and I can certainly respect the second quite a bit (might not have caught lightning in a bottle the second time but they certainly charged it). Never saw the animated version and this... going to have to see some good reviews coming out first and I am not expecting much from that. Films about making films, indie or otherwise, have been good but it is a super fine line to walk.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find this depressing.
I don't know that I find it depressing (get the band back together/recapture the glory days is common enough in films). On the other hand I don't know if there was an outbreak of depression among the cast of that.

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I don't know that I find it depressing (get the band back together/recapture the glory days is common enough in films). On the other hand I don't know if there was an outbreak of depression among the cast of that.
If I was in that cast I would have been depressed. The selfaware humor, references to things that weren't all that great to begin with*, the display of dread and the state of things. Ooooff... It's completely played out and demoralising. American culture desperatly needs fresh winds, but I don't see it coming.

*you can argue that the first movie was okay for what it was (at best). Certainly not a classic piece.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Kevin Smith has a whole bunch of movies like that, and anyone still willing to take part evidently doesn't find it that bad.

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Kevin Smith has a whole bunch of movies like that, and anyone still willing to take part evidently doesn't find it that bad.
Yes, I hope so. I wish them all the best. I find it demoralising, that's all. If you enjoy it, that's cool as well. Don't let my view inform your preferences, unless you see my point. I personally feel, that I have been too effected by opinions of others in the past. I don't like the idea of doing that to others. Only you can know what is best for yourself.

I do, however, think that pointing out that (popular) art can be demoralising, and it is always advisable to look critically whether this is the case, whatever you consume, is valid. In the case of Clerks III, with out having watched the movie, I am sure there is media out there that is far worse, and maybe the trailer gives of the wrong impression (although I am doubtful).

tl;dr Have fun! Always be safe 1st!

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only thing that gives me any hope for this is that Jeff Anderson is in it. He refused to do Clerks II until he saw how good the script was, and he refused the first version or two of this script. The fact that he finally signed on makes me think there's something good in there, even if it's not a great trailer.

Reactions: RyRyIV

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its too early to say what I feel will come from this. Smith has been having a bit of a troublesome time in the fan communities and his reaction to them has not put him in a good position either with said fans. Plus he tried time and again to get some of his other sequel works off the ground only for them to be canned. (Anyone remember Mallrats 2 being a thing?)

Its a tough call, he is either finally returning to this because he found the creative means to do so, or he is doing so because he wants to get people to stop hating him and instead appreciate his works again. Me personally? I have not much cared for his stuff after Clerks 2 with the only hold out being that I still have not given myself the chance to sit down and watch "Jay & Silent Bob Reboot" which I have been meaning to but its very low on the priority list. Even so I still heard mixed things about it compared to Strike Back so that only made me put it off more so.

I want to have hope this will be good and will feel good to watch. I just also hope its not just him cashing in on his most well known brand to save his waning appeal.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I caught this in theaters. I'm still a little torn on it, but I feel like it mostly didn't work. It's funnier and more coherent than Jay & Silent Bob Reboot, but it doesn't have the same sharp dialogue the first two movies do. Instead it's a lot broader and wackier.

It does maintain a lot of the heart the first two movies had, but it's frustratingly inconsistent with its tone. It doesn't let the emotional moments breathe and actually hit you, crowding them in with bad jokes, so it just doesn't feel like Kevin Smith is confident enough in the material to carry itself. Which is a shame, because these characters are likable and people are obviously heavily-invested in them, so I think it could have worked if it was given an opportunity.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Clerks.III.2022.1080p.GP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-EVO

Still vaguely intending to rewatch the other two first.
...or Clerks.III.2022.1080p.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NOGRP

First one's a classic. Second one is pretty good, but came during Smiths low phase. The animated series isn't terrible... but the unaired sitcom pilot is fuggin awful... watch at your own risk...

• Love

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...or Clerks.III.2022.1080p.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NOGRP

First one's a classic. Second one is pretty good, but came during Smiths low phase. The animated series isn't terrible... but the unaired sitcom pilot is fuggin awful... watch at your own risk...

Don't think I'd seen that pilot! That was... not great :rofl2:

Reactions: duwen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3tSfM8OXM