Hacking Coding vWii 3-core support - everything you need to know.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't get why everyone is saying that is was "leaked" it's been on the Google code page for a while, I remember seeing it when looking at the source for tricore Linux.

The "Dump Mii ROM" branch by MarioNumber1/Maxternal at:
  1. https://code.google.com/p/gbadev/source/browse/?name=romdumper
  2. https://gbadev.googlecode.com/archive/romdumper.zip
  3. https://gbadev.googlecode.com/archive/romdumper.tar.gz
has been open source for awhile (in fact most were fixated on the ppc bootrom while the vwii arm boot0 went pretty much unhyped.) What was extremely positive was that the BigTime ps3 developer(who shall remain nameless (to many)) who worked on the ppc OTP dump used the starting code base for the rom dumper branch but added to it with his/her new code AND included the new work in the form of a patch file(or diff file) to add the new code into the already released older code.
Bravo! to said unnamed developer(please respect the author's wishes to remain anonymous)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Given that it's based off of the existing ROM dumper (open sourced) I might as well add it's code to the existing repository and make it a ROM/keys dumper ;) thanks to said PS3 hacker

With this release/leak it's no longer as necessary but I've been playing aroud with getting the processor drunk (see "tests" branch) but based on the assumption that the HW_TIMER register was the clock I had to go by for the 255 clock cycles (which really didn't make much sense now that I actually think about it) so I'm still playing around with that, just for fun.

dont worry though. I'm still working on the 3 core thing from home even though my work is stricter now.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maxternal that key can help u for continue/finish the 3core linux?

Not really, since A) we already had the BootROM decrypted, boot0 is useless at this point(considering the only thing we could use it for is a wii u exploit, and maybe not even then, since they have a proper chain of trust this time), and we don't have access to the CafeOS binary to decrypt and edit cafe2wii to load with 3 cores, so basically the leak does nothing that we didn't already have.

Reactions: kimotori

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NWPlayer123 is possible make some hw for take directly the data on wiiU mem? in this case the key can be used?
ps= probably i haven't understand what key crypt/decrypt

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
snip

With this release/leak it's no longer as necessary but I've been playing aroud with getting the processor drunk (see "tests" branch) but based on the assumption that the HW_TIMER register was the clock I had to go by for the 255 clock cycles (which really didn't make much sense now that I actually think about it) so I'm still playing around with that, just for fun.

snip

yeah, I remember from the talk at 30c3, they(f0f) were clocking the reset timing off the arm instruction cycles.
I thought that it might be fun to try external clock reset control but when Marcan was unclear how much of the ALL the ram needed to be written to(like every single bit of ram including starbuck sram and dsp ram etc) and the fact that the dram had it's own reset requirements (IIRC like 100 nanoseconds for normal operations) it seemed like there would be too many variables without the right tools (i.e. ghettohci code/GPIOGECKO code/or the remote agent-RPC commands from a Python script).
http://www.micron.com/-/media/documents/products/data sheet/dram/ddr3/2gb_1_35v_ddr3l.pdf
It's a 212 page manual- look for page 189 "RESET Operation"

Still,if you throw out the 0 cycle(no reset) and 255 cycle (normal reset), there are only 254 cycles left to test.
So Good Luck with everything!

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There should be a statue of limitations on double posts(sorry about that guys/gals).
Can't believe this thread has been dormant for this long.
Anyway, does anyone know what happened to http://vwii.idfbest.com? It had some archived files from the thread on there and I don't believe there is a mirror of those files anywhere.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Necroing this thread because I had a thought and I'm not sure if this belongs in the Trinux thread. Now for Sega Saturn fans who also own a Wii/WiiU, you're probably aware that there is a port of Yabause for Wii (barely playable due to the limited hardware the Wii has and the complexity of the Saturn hardware that needs to be emulated), I was thinking..... Once Tri-core SMP is pulled off on the vWii, what are people's thoughts on bringing Tri-core to Yabause. Would this fix many of the issues that are crippling the current Wii release? Also to overcome memory limitations, we could run it under trinux and utilize the swap space. Just throwing ideas out there. I've seen videos of Yabause running under Ubuntu (which is what Trinux is currently based off of) and it runs pretty nicely. Of course we would need to be using a version of Yabause compiled for PPC but they DO exist for Ubuntu although I've never tried to run any of them, as I don't own any Macs, let alone macs with Ubuntu on them XD.

Any thoughts Maxternal or others?

Note for Mods/Admins: If you feel this belongs in the Trinux thread then please move it over there :P, thanks.

Reactions: jammybudga777

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh i would really like to see some fully running yabause port :) wouldnt this run in wii u mode (3cores) once exploited fully?

Sure it could be using the kernel exploit, but that would require a TON of recoding etc to get it to work correctly in Wii U mode. I think it would be wiser to start by getting the current port (Wii) working with Tri-core first, and then porting over to Wii U mode could come after.

An alternative would be to just run a Ubuntu version of Yabause under Trinux (for PPC architecture), but to make it useful at all, we need tri-core SMP up and running. Otherwise, its a lost cause :P. Either way we need all three cores of the Espresso utilized to make it feasible.

I've been playing around with Yabause for Wii today (apparently, its been improved since I tried it years ago) and thus far, every game I've thrown at it boots either using the built in emulated bios or a dumped saturn bios. Some games are picky, some boot either way. That being said, its super laggy with lots of framerate issues due to the limited CPU and RAM of the original Wii.

With the right people working on this and access to the necessary swap space and/or additional ram, CPU cores etc, this has a lot of potential......

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a slight feeling that there will be the kernel exploit a fair bit before 3core support in vwii tbh. but ive not really kept or seen any late progress with 3core situation tbh so i could be wrong!! but either way the initial idea is a good one lets hope it catches some attention :)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a slight feeling that there will be the kernel exploit a fair bit before 3core support in vwii tbh. but ive not really kept or seen any late progress with 3core situation tbh so i could be wrong!!

We've yet to pull off Tri-core SMP in vWii ><. However according to Marionumber1 a similar tactic for initializing and utilizing all 3 cores has to be used in Wii U mode, the process is very close to how it has to be done in vWii mode. We figure out one, we pretty much have the other. If I've misintrepreted your previous statements on SMP on the Wii U, MN1 please correct me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.