Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tatzelcow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm America and live in the US, but I read a lot of British literature so I tend to see spelling such as colour, favourite, honour, and other such in much of my reading so these are what I tend to use most often...People tend to look at me funny though.

I also spell "check" as "cheque" sometimes....

Does this make me weird? lol ^^'

Zaiga

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer to use "color" just because it has less letters than "colour". But I should probably get used to spelling "colour"..

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
american so "color"
i seem to like color better than colour because color is more symmetric and i guess im OCD like that

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Diablo1123 said:
I like colour
I don't know when, but I started typing it like that for a while now

And makes you look smarterer! =D
Does using color make you stupider?
wtf.gif
Edit: i meant colour

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
poke-arc-en-ciel_785 said:
Raika said:
Diablo1123 said:
I like colour
I don't know when, but I started typing it like that for a while now

And makes you look smarterer! =D
Does using color make you stupider?
wtf.gif
Edit: i meant colour

Nah who cares.
Colour makes you smarter because it is a longer word, hence, you need to be smarter to be able to remember it =D

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well the British English unnecessary spells things is a complicated way, while the American English actually spells some words closer to the way they are pronounced.

from http://esl.about.com/library/weekly/aa110698.htm
lecture.gif

QUOTE said:
Spelling

Here are some general differences between British and American spellings:

Words ending in -or (American) -our (British) color, colour, humor, humour, flavor, flavour etc.
Words ending in -ize (American) -ise (British) recognize, recognise, patronize, patronise etc.

The best way to make sure that you are being consistent in your spelling is to use the spell check on your word processor (if you are using the computer of course) and choose which variety of English you would like. As you can see, there are really very few differences between standard British English and standard American English. However, the largest difference is probably that of the choice of vocabulary and pronunciation. For further information concerning these areas please refer to the following links below.

Also from Wiki

QUOTE said:
Historical origins

In the early 18th century, English spelling was not standardized. Differences became noticeable after the publishing of influential dictionaries. Current British English spellings follow, for the most part, those of Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language (1755), whereas many American English spellings follow Noah Webster's An American Dictionary of the English Language of 1828.

Webster was a strong proponent of spelling reform for reasons both philological and nationalistic. Many spelling changes proposed in the US by Webster himself, and in the early 20th century by the Simplified Spelling Board, never caught on. Among the advocates of spelling reform in England, the influences of those who preferred the Norman (or Anglo-French) spellings of certain words proved decisive. Subsequent spelling adjustments in the UK had little effect on present-day US spelling, and vice versa. While in many cases American English deviated in the 19th century from mainstream British spelling, on the other hand it has also often retained older forms.
and
Latin-derived spellings

-our, -or

Most words ending in unstressed -our in the United Kingdom (e.g., colour, flavour, honour, armour, rumour) end in -or in the United States (i.e., color, flavor, honor, armor, rumor). Where the vowel is unreduced, this does not occur: contour, paramour, troubadour, are spelled thus everywhere. Most words of this category derive from Latin non-agent nouns having nominative -or; the first such borrowings into English were from early Old French and the ending was -or or -ur.[19] After the Norman Conquest, the termination became -our in Anglo-French in an attempt to represent the Old French pronunciation of words ending in -or,[20] though color has been used occasionally in English since the fifteenth century.[21] The -our ending was not only retained in English borrowings from Anglo-French, but also applied to earlier French borrowings.[22] After the Renaissance, some such borrowings from Latin were taken up with their original -or termination; many words once ending in -our (for example, chancellour and governour) now end in -or everywhere. Many words of the -our/-or group do not have a Latin counterpart; for example, armo(u)r, behavio(u)r, harbo(u)r, neighbo(u)r; also arbo(u)r meaning "shelter", though senses "tree" and "tool" are always arbor, a false cognate of the other word. Some 16th and early 17th century British scholars indeed insisted that -or be used for words of Latin origin (e.g. color[21]) and -our for French loans; but in many cases the etymology was not completely clear, and therefore some scholars advocated -or only and others -our only.[23]

Webster's 1828 dictionary featured only -or and is generally given much of the credit for the adoption of this form in the US. By contrast, Dr Johnson's 1755 dictionary used the -our spelling for all words still so spelled in Britain, as well as for emperour, errour, governour, horrour, tenour, terrour, and tremour, where the u has since been dropped. Johnson, unlike Webster, was not an advocate of spelling reform, but selected the version best-derived, as he saw it, from among the variations in his sources: he favoured French over Latin spellings because, as he put it, "the French generally supplied us."[24] Those English speakers who began to move across the Atlantic would have taken these habits with them and H L Mencken makes the point that, "honor appears in the Declaration of Independence, but it seems to have got there rather by accident than by design. In Jefferson’s original draft it is spelled honour. "[25] Examples such as color, flavor, behavior, harbor, or neighbor scarcely appear in the Old Bailey's court records from the 17th and 18th century, whereas examples of their -our counterparts are numbered in thousands.[26] One notable exception is honor: honor and honour were equally frequent down to the 17th century,[27] Honor still is, in the UK, the normal spelling as a person's name.

That said, Nintendo named the Game Boy Color that way, therefore if it's good enough for them, then that's OK with me !
gbasp.gif

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
strata8 said:
Colour FTW!

I'm just annoyed that BBcode doesn't support both styles...
Yeah; I always hated that =_=
Color is lazy
tongue.gif
Colour FTW!

IMO, colour is more phonetically accurate. You don't pronounce it "collor" (as "color" implies), you pronounce it "culluhr" (which the "ou" implies).
But whatever
tongue.gif

The results from this poll will simply be determining how many GBATemp users come from which English-Speaking countries. There'll never be a settlement on which is *better* (unless a significant portion of the developed world is annihilated).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn