Commodore SX-64 Restoration Recommendations

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just purchased a Commodore SX-64 from my local game shop. It was kind of an impulse buy because it was so darned cheap and after looking up the prices these things go for on eBay, I couldn't resist. It works, the only problem is that it's in pretty terrible cosmetic condition. I was wondering if anybody knows what I can do for this particular system to clean it up. The main thing I want to do, is paint it. But before I do that, I need to know how to remove the current paint. I am also not 100% certain how to take it apart. I couldn't find a guide online so I just tried to figure it out myself. I was able to get the top panel off easily, but not the bottom. The inside is very very dusty and covered in webs, however, it looks more complicated inside than anything I've ever worked on, plus I am very scared handle the build in CRT as I know those can be dangerous. If I can get away with just blowing some compressed air and taking off the panels and painting them, then that's what I would like to do. I just don't even know where to begin.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, five years later (actually four. I did it last year) I finally actually got more confident in my skills to attempt this. Dismantled it entirely, cleaned out the insides, sanded the outer casing and painted everything and 3D printed some of the missing parts. Only have one pic on hand. It turned out pretty well although there are a few things I would have done differently. Overall though it looks way better than it did. Wish I had any pics of what it originally looked like.

IMG_3520.JPG

• Love
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup