Homebrew Discussion Community name vote / suggestions for Tinfoil

Do you think that blawar really did well renaming his project?

• Yes, his project deserves that name (it really hurts me to write this)

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • No, that only generated confussion on the community, but it's not really bad.

Votes: 55 18.3%
  • No, that was a really bad idea!

Votes: 144 47.8%
  • I don't care at all.

Votes: 76 25.2%

• Total voters

MABarracus

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I suggest:

T.I.N.F.O.I.L. (Title Installer NSP F*ck Off Idiots & Lamers)

o

T.I.N.F.O.I.L. (That Is Not Funny Overrated Imbecile Lunatic)

o

BIAA
(Blawar Is An Asshole)

o

a great name like NoHomoTinfoil that would warn people not use another tinfoil.

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XorTroll didn’t even make the original Tinfoil and DZ Tinfoil seems feature/code superior with constant dev support and additions from what is being shown.. not sure why the original post needed all of the dramatics.
XorTroll doesn’t even like the Tinfoil name.

owo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suggest:

T.I.N.F.O.I.L. (Title Installer NSP F*ck Off Idiots & Lamers)

o

T.I.N.F.O.I.L. (That Is Not Funny Overrated Imbecile Lunatic)

o

BIAA
(Blawar Is An Asshole)

o

a great name like NoHomoTinfoil that would warn people not use another tinfoil.

Quoting because this is somehow still allowed.

Xiad

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Some information about the planned rename:
I won't end the name vote or rename Tinfoil until @blawar sends me a proper proof of the trademark.
Still waiting dude, show us that you really own Tinfoil.

So it's clear if you didn't see it, Oakley, Inc. (Glasses) is the company that owns the rights to the registered trademark "TINFOIL" in the USA. If you go to the United States Patent and Trademarks website you can search for trademarks, or you can do a quick search to find the glasses themselves, or the search facility.

Think that if he was to take action your offer to change it if he shows he has legally registered the trademark, plus the post here, would be sufficient to conclude you have cooperated completely and that this is not a matter that a court needs to intervene in. I'm sure there is enough history and evidence to conclude that he decided on the name after you did as well.

Last edited by Xiad,

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Ok guys, the vote is over!

The winner name is: Goldleaf, suggested by @Retr0id

Other most voted names:
2 - CoNSPiracy, suggested by @DeuX
3 - Ninject, suggested by @goukifafa
4 - Blawar is a little bitch, suggested by @NoSmokingBandit
5 - NSPower, the name of the project abandoned of a title manager, now merged with Goldleaf

xmp8851

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Wow, this is Going to be totally new installer.
Now I can see you did a lot of things with code in private.

MABarracus

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
And now another lamer could take the name of Goldleaf because you don't release it. And back to start again.

I think you must name it TINFOIL please do not believe that trademark lie.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
XorTroll didn’t even make the original Tinfoil and DZ Tinfoil seems feature/code superior with constant dev support and additions from what is being shown.. not sure why the original post needed all of the dramatics.
XorTroll doesn’t even like the Tinfoil name.

Blawar also abused the MIT license to high hell, and I personally don't think something as important as a package installer should be closed source. I do like dz's interface better, but I'm hoping this goes somewhere or if not then someone starts over from scratch.

So it's clear if you didn't see it, Oakley, Inc. (Glasses) is the company that owns the rights to the registered trademark "TINFOIL" in the USA. If you go to the United States Patent and Trademarks website you can search for trademarks, or you can do a quick search to find the glasses themselves, or the search facility.

That's not how trademarks work. Trademarks are generally applied to a specific industry or product. In this case, it doesn't extend beyond eyeglasses and accessories, so a piece of computer software named Tinfoil isn't violating any trademarks here.

Xiad

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Blawar also abused the MIT license to high hell, and I personally don't think something as important as a package installer should be closed source. I do like dz's interface better, but I'm hoping this goes somewhere or if not then someone starts over from scratch.

That's not how trademarks work. Trademarks are generally applied to a specific industry or product. In this case, it doesn't extend beyond eyeglasses and accessories, so a piece of computer software named Tinfoil isn't violating any trademarks here.

My point was that there is no registered trademark other than theirs in the USA. I never claimed anyone was violating it. Considering both fall under unregistered or common law trademarks it would be hard for blawar to claim his trademark is legitimate considering his is newer and serves a similar purpose.

Last edited by Xiad,

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Coming soonTM... (before new year, as it'll be taking part in the bounty)
2018120614492500-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

(the design is still unfinished, but will very likely be like this)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...