Hardware Computer Temporarily crashes when playing certain games?

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has the same issue with hdmi, though now I can only go up to 60hz for some reason.

Downloading furmark now.

Hmmm... If it even happens at 1080p60hz through HDMI, then I am stumped. Seems the only commonality is the monitor, but you said it only happens in games, and other situations which push the GPU... Weird.

Will be interested to see the outcome of this thread.

P.S. - I've had weird issues in the past with some of the memory on a GPU being bad. Still wouldn't explain why it's only an issue on that monitor, but you can perform a VRAM test with this utility as a "Hail Mary" pass: http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is almost 100% a GPU driver crash.

If you open up the windows event viewer, you will in all likelyhood see an error stating something like "Display driver XXXXXXXXX stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Try grinding your GPU with Furmark on max settings and see if you can create the crash again. If possible, just to rule out any inconsistencies, use a monitoring tool like afterburner and record all the logs. You might notice something funky in the logs which could be your clue as to why it's crashing, like perhaps VRAM is being oversaturated.

They're just standards, so if you have an old standard, a newer one could be better than it.
GPU took the stress test like a champ, no crashes. I should mention again, this only happens in certain circumstances. Forza horizon 4 pushes my gpu to its absolute limit and does not exhibit this issue, the same can be said about the Witcher 3 and monster hunter world. Also yes, I did see the display driver crash in the event viewer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Now I believe it is a hardware issue. Can you try testing that card on another pc?
I do not have access to a non laptop computer atm. I'm also too incompetent to do that without messing something up, me and a friend put this pc together. I could do it if I absolutely needed to, but at the moment I would rather not risk it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmmm... If it even happens at 1080p60hz through HDMI, then I am stumped. Seems the only commonality is the monitor, but you said it only happens in games, and other situations which push the GPU... Weird.

Will be interested to see the outcome of this thread.

P.S. - I've had weird issues in the past with some of the memory on a GPU being bad. Still wouldn't explain why it's only an issue on that monitor, but you can perform a VRAM test with this utility as a "Hail Mary" pass: http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en
Still taking it like a champ

Y0shII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Hmm, did you check the gpu temperature during those tests? Also if that issue happens with only some games and other like Forza Horizon 4 (AMD cards are really good on those Forza games) then it could be bad drivers.... If temps are on check maybe cleaning drivers with ddu and installing a previous version.

Be careful when cleaning drivers, since you have an AMD pc you also have some other devices that require drivers from AMD.

Last edited by Y0shII,

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still taking it like a champ

Does this only happen when you are running the monitor at non-native fullscreen resolutions? In the video you posted, the crash happens when you try to change resolution. You also said it happens going into menus in some games (some of which use different resolution than the actual game) and at startup (when the game actually gets the dedicated window and sets the resolution).

Do the crashes still happen if you run the game(s) in windowed mode?

May be linked to resolution?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this only happen when you are running the monitor at non-native fullscreen resolutions? In the video you posted, the crash happens when you try to change resolution. You also said it happens going into menus in some games (some of which use different resolution than the actual game) and at startup (when the game actually gets the dedicated window and sets the resolution).

Do the crashes still happen if you run the game(s) in windowed mode?

May be linked to resolution?
I didn't actually change my resolution, it just happened to crash when I got that far :P. Also happens in game in those games more often than menus, I just happened to get lucky in my video.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't actually change my resolution, it just happened to crash when I got that far :P. Also happens in game in those games more often than menus, I just happened to get lucky in my video.

Hmm... Yeah, definitely stumped then.

Best of luck, my dude!

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GPU took the stress test like a champ, no crashes. I should mention again, this only happens in certain circumstances. Forza horizon 4 pushes my gpu to its absolute limit and does not exhibit this issue, the same can be said about the Witcher 3 and monster hunter world. Also yes, I did see the display driver crash in the event viewer.

Welp, then what I'm about to say is gonna suck. It's entirely possible that you can't fix it. I've had similar issues where the problem was a game calling the display driver in a bad way and it would crash the game. It was only that game too. Your options are probably limited to coping ability:

• Try using an older display driver from 6 months back. This might be a change in the driver that screwed up the call the game was making.
  • Try lowering the monitor that crashes the game down to the spec to the one that doesn't with a custom resolution using your display panel. Refresh rate, resolution, and everything else. It could entirely be the way that the driver is handling the information while doing the math and sending it to the monitor causes issues in this one specific circumstance.
  • You could try and increase the resolution of the monitor. NVidia has supersampling which effectively renders the game at a higher resolution then downscales. I've had this fix artifacting in a game.
  • Try using a default windows generic display driver. It's going to suck, and probably not give you the experience that you want, but in my experience, default windows drivers have never crashed on me. It's always 3rd party drivers that cause issues
Overall, the solutions that would fix the things perfectly are probably out of your control. Since furmark didn't crash your card, the silver lining is that your hardware probably isn't going bad.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, then what I'm about to say is gonna suck. It's entirely possible that you can't fix it. I've had similar issues where the problem was a game calling the display driver in a bad way and it would crash the game. It was only that game too. Your options are probably limited to coping ability:

• Try using an older display driver from 6 months back. This might be a change in the driver that screwed up the call the game was making.
  • Try lowering the monitor that crashes the game down to the spec to the one that doesn't with a custom resolution using your display panel. Refresh rate, resolution, and everything else. It could entirely be the way that the driver is handling the information while doing the math and sending it to the monitor causes issues in this one specific circumstance.
  • You could try and increase the resolution of the monitor. NVidia has supersampling which effectively renders the game at a higher resolution then downscales. I've had this fix artifacting in a game.
  • Try using a default windows generic display driver. It's going to suck, and probably not give you the experience that you want, but in my experience, default windows drivers have never crashed on me. It's always 3rd party drivers that cause issues
Overall, the solutions that would fix the things perfectly are probably out of your control. Since furmark didn't crash your card, the silver lining is that your hardware probably isn't going bad.
I wanna bring up something else. I just changed doom 2016,another game which consistently had this issue, from vulkan to opengl. I don't know if this means anything or if it was just a fluke. Doing a vulkan benchmark did not cause my display drivers to crash.

Edit: also when I set it to hdmi, it did lower itself to my second monitor's spec. Definitely still crashes with that.

Last edited by Giodude,

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wanna bring up something else. I just changed doom 2016,another game which consistently had this issue, from vulkan to opengl. I don't know if this means anything or if it was just a fluke. Doing a vulkan benchmark did not cause my display drivers to crash.
Yeah, it's 100% games calling on the driver in a faulty way then, or rather the driver handling the game requests in a faulty manner. Either way, it's outside of your control to "fix" the issue. You might be able to tinker with the config files of the game to set the video backend before the game boots to try and solve the issue. Unfortunately, looking at the settings menu of NierR suggests that changing the backend isn't an option. Instead you might try turning the shadows off, AO off, or just tinkering with the settings in general.

I would say to just bite the bullet and play around with the monitor settings, see if you can get it to not crash, and if that fails, either play the game on your 60hz monitor or refund the game if you aren't going to play it. I think the game was fantastic and ran perfectly fine at 1080p60, all options cranked, but others may enjoy the higher framerate.

LucasM3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sometimes Windows Updates, mess things up. If there are no further updates some drivers may need to be downgraded.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
That's weird.

Same happen to me when I try to play Portal 2 game on my two different computers are DELL XPS 630i desktop with Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 GHz, Windows XP Professional SP3, 4 GB RAM DDR2 @ 800 MHz, Nvidia Geforce 9800 GX2 @ 1 GB GDDR3, 750 Watts power supply from DELL and on my HP Desktop H8-1360t with Core i7 3770 @ 3.4 GHz, Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 Bit, 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz, Nvidia Geforce 630 GT @ 2 GB DDR3, 600 Watts power supply from HP.

Try to get in Portal 2 and crashing then return back to desktop. It's just game bug. I already give up on this one worst PC game ever is Portal 2 due to crashing again, again. No helpful to me anymore. Portal 2 is junk and trash useless to me can't play through due to many crashing. :(

Last edited by console,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I appreciate all of you guys looking so far into this issue for me. I'll do some more research tomorrow, it's getting late for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HgOvEYrDc